Author Topic: Magnepan MG10/QR DSP crossover  (Read 10008 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Magnepan MG10/QR DSP crossover
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2023, 04:34:50 AM »
Dave,
I am planning on putting more of the diffusor panels on top of the first 3 rows.  Should be 8' high once done. 

They are just stacked for the time being.  Nothing is being installed until I can get some measurements done with at least REW. 

These are the AQD styles.  The Mr T's are still in boxes for CAF2023.  After the show, the portable acoustic walls will go to the rear wall of the room. 

The rest of the room equipment is still in the POD.  Hopefully starting Thursday at least the equipment racks will be brought back in to setup the new system.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2023, 09:38:04 AM »
Have the MG10/QR's wired to the Orchard Audio Starkrimson Monoblocks for testing with the dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover. 

Setting up the Music Server PC with the software for development and testing.

QOBUZ is already on the PC from LSAF2023 and then try the planars without the servo subs.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2023, 07:02:29 PM »
The Magnepan MG10/QR speakers are now playing music in biamp mode with the EA dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover driving the four Orchard Audio Starkrimson Monoblocks. Every planar driver with its own HiRez DAC and monoblock amp.  🙂

Now that the system is running will use REW to make measurements with my calibrated Behringer ECM8000 mic to see what needs some crossover work.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2023, 09:59:11 AM »
After some in room measurements of the MG10/QR speakers, worked on an EA dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover system to correct what I see as things needed to be addressed in the frequency response. 

The time gate is 500mSec, so this includes room reflections at the ECM8000 mic.  The mic is at the listening seat on axis.

There is a version of an 80Hz High Pass Filter for use when the 4x8in servo subs are running.  That will be tuned once I have final measurements with the servo subs.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2023, 05:00:34 PM »
The custom modified HX300-8OB servo amps are here and now in their boxes to get wired to the servo subs. 

Using the Neutrik 4-pole Speakon connectors on the cabinets and wiring harness for simple connections.

Wiring the cable harness is ongoing as the parts arrived today to complete the wiring. 

The 4x8in OB cabinets are to be finished this week and delivered. 

Getting closer!

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2023, 06:03:02 PM »
The custom modified HX300-8OB servo amps are here and now in their boxes to get wired to the servo subs. 

Using the Neutrik 4-pole Speakon connectors on the cabinets and wiring harness for simple connections.

Wiring the cable harness is ongoing as the parts arrived today to complete the wiring. 

The 4x8in OB cabinets are to be finished this week and delivered. 

Getting closer!
  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2023, 05:00:00 AM »
The servo amp are ready to use with the wiring completed.

Next is the sub cable harnesses.  Since these are for shows, the wiring is external to make it easy to assemble and disassemble for movement and setup.

Have the module grill frames, so will try to put the black speaker fabric on them for the show. 

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2023, 07:30:02 PM »

Next is the sub cable harnesses.  Since these are for shows, the wiring is external to make it easy to assemble and disassemble for movement and setup.

Have the module grill frames, so will try to put the black speaker fabric on them for the show.

Grill cloth, schmill cloth!  Audiophools love to see the drivers dance!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2023, 09:13:52 PM »

Hmmm….to grill or not to grill….that is the question 🤷 😁
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2023, 03:17:42 AM »

Hmmm….to grill or not to grill….that is the question 🤷 😁

No question. As I wrote to you in your subwoofer thread, "I like options".  :thumb:

I agree with P.I. that "Audiophools love to see the drivers..." The "dance!" part perhaps, but IMO that depends on which driver is dancing and how so. I think the movement of any kind would be limited to the bass drivers.

Grills provide advantages that should include aesthetics as well as protection. Additionally, they can contribute (or detract) from the sonic attributes. No grill is 100 percent acoustically transparent, but it can be better than 99 percent. In this context, what I mean by "grill" is anything except air directly in front of and closer than one foot to the plane of the driver. A potential positive advantage acoustically comes from increased damping factor and/or taking just enough unwanted airiness away from the top end. I realize this is a slippery slope. Glad I'm not a DIYer or speaker designer.  :rofl:

Considering all of the aforementioned, it is my belief/opinion that grills should be included with any pair of speakers, however, said grill should be easily (operative word being easily) removable and re-attachable to the frame of the speaker. I'll repeat myself in that "I like options"  8)
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2023, 05:17:46 AM »
The grills are easily removed from each module, so the option is there.  Just depends on what the owners would want for asthetics.

All the 8in drivers will face forward, so will be black speaker cones in black modules in the prototypes.  Everyone can choose what they want to do for colors for flat pack kits.

The wait continues for getting the cabinets back from finishing.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2023, 01:43:32 PM »
Looks like painted cabinets will be here Tuesday to install the servo drivers and wiring.

In the mean time, have the two HX300PEQ servo amps and eight servo drivers wired up to test.  Looks like everything is working.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2023, 10:26:23 AM »
Both 4x8in servo sub wiring harnesses are complete and working. 

The two 4x8in modular sub cabinets are to be finished and deliverd Tuesday.  Then time to install the servo drivers and start measurements and listening.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Magnepan MG10/QR DSP crossover and 4x8" servo subs
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2023, 07:13:55 PM »
Today the H-Frame modules were finished and started installing the drivers and wiring.

Stack #1 is complete.  Stack #2 is half complete and will be ready tomorrow to test and do some listening.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Magnepan MG10/QR DSP crossover and 4x8" servo subs
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2023, 07:18:21 PM »
Today the H-Frame modules were finished and started installing the drivers and wiring.

Stack #1 is complete.  Stack #2 is half complete and will be ready tomorrow to test and do some listening.

Lookin’ good, Rich 👍👍
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS