Author Topic: Pro-ject 78 rpm listening  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Blackmore

Pro-ject 78 rpm listening
« on: March 14, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Finally got my old Pro-ject xpression changed over to 78 rpm.  Strapped on the Shure m78s cart and hit a few Vogue picture discs, a Flash Gordon flexi-disc, some Toscanini performing Rossini overtures.  What a great evening it has been.  I really enjoyed the realistic instrument timbre hidden underneath the surface noise and wear.  Stunning performances...just finished up with Mario Lanza "Be My Love".  Tomorrow I'm thinking about a few more Toscanini disks and maybe some "Sugar Blues" by Clyde McCoy.  Sunday's looking like another great day. 
Her name was "Princess"

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
Re: Pro-ject 78 rpm listening
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »
Hey Mark,

If ever you want a few more 78's to listen to, just let me know. I've got a nice little collection of jazz, blues, ancient pop, country, western and even some classical. Also, if you want to try something a bit different, you are welcome to my mono Stromberg Carlson PP 6L6 amp with the integral phono stage. It should mate up really well to your mono EV (?) sitting in the corner of your living room.

78's add a whole new meaning to "What are you listening to right now?"  8)
My brain hurts.....

Offline Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »
Yeah, and what am I listening to 3-4 minutes from now?  The Pro-ject needs some help (get the platter spinning a little before you switch on the power or the motor rattles in the frame.  Not enough torque, dammit!) but it sure sounds sweet underneath the scratch.  Listened to the Hour of Charm All-Girl Orchestra doing Rhapsody in Blue.  Very cool!!!  I have the Pro-ject hooked up to the Advent receiver and then use my AT AD700 phones. Sublime! 8)  I may have to get a few 78s from you soon after I've gone through my collection.  Thanks for the offer.
Her name was "Princess"

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:07:01 AM »
My trumpet teacher Leon Merian used to play Sugar Blues for me to demonstrate use of a plunger in the old school way - unlike modern jazz trumpeters who have no clue. I could never do it like him, it takes incredible strength and control. But I never have hear the original recording...

Offline Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:46:33 AM »
Hey Rich,
Go over to the iTunes store and search for "Sugar Blues"  They have Clyde McCoy on iTunes.  You're $.99 away from the real thing.  Oh, and very cool that your teacher was Leon Merian.  What a great embouchure!
Her name was "Princess"

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
The original "iron mask..."   sadly I can't find a good picture of him on the web. I need to scan in some of my own so they are available.

I didn't think such old music would still be available online. Thanks!