Author Topic: How to Begin Exploring the World of Classical Music?  (Read 5981 times)

Bigfish8

How to Begin Exploring the World of Classical Music?
« on: February 11, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »
I have been to a few G2G's at Richidoo's and he always plays a few cuts of orchestra music.  The music is quite complex with detail that challenges the components of the system.  I am not trying to be funny here and am wondering what CDs would be recommended to help me develop a desire to spend time at home listening to this type of music? 

Thanks,

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: How to Begin Exploring the World of Classical Music?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:54 PM »
Look through Gramophone magazine, pick the cutest lil chick you can find, and buy her record. Then just let nature take its course....  :rofl:  There's no shortage of PYTs with violins these days. 

You live 15 miles from the best classical FM station in the country. 24/7 music, rating about 7 on the scale  of good sophisticated hard core after 8pm mixed with the obligatory dentist office and volvo driving easy listening during the day. No friggin NPR news either. One DJ is on in afternoon drive time, we call her "THE WAIF" because she plays the faggiest dainty woosy music to make you puke. WCPE 89.7, check it out especially on Sunday night when they play only new releases on a show called Preview. These tend to be the best recordings by the hottest new artists with the biggest budgets for promotion. Some really good stuff on that show. This Sunday they will interview Simone Dinnerstein, very hot rising star (and cute). I have a couple of her records of solo piano. One recording of hers proves that Beethoven invented "ragtime" in 1815.  8)  Also their Saturday Evening Request Show lets listeners pick their favorites, and it is always 100% better than the boring shit the regular DJs play. The best versions of old favorites and warhorses. "dougs" on AC can advise you on a vintage tuner, he is in VA and has a huge collection of them. A small inside antenna will be enough for you to grab WCPE. It might even be on satellite radio now.

A common answer to the question is the three B's: Bach, Brahms and Beethoven. Not everybody can hitch their wagon to these giants on first listen. We live in 2009, and our musical tastes are far removed from this old music, so it feels foreign at first. Bach is easiest of these three, and is the root of all modern Western music. Before Bach, music was very basic, like simple church music. He started the musical renaissance in Europe. I fell in love with Bach on first listen, back 30 years ago. For most of that time, I thought he was the only classical composer that was not a snobby prick. Turns out it was the pretentious arrogant performance style of the 70s and 80s that was turning me off. Now the younger musicians play much more to the actual score without the attitude, and the music is so much more fullfilling. Brahms I am new to, but his Violin Concerto is the most beautiful music that I own. Beethoven on the other hand..... Beethoven, ah yes... Beethoven...  The greatest musician of the millenium.

There are some threads on AC (and probably many other places) about where to start in classical music, but they are all just the favorites of the advisor. There's really no way to ask someone else where you should start. You just decide you want in, then start listening for clues in everyday life. Pay attention when you hear classical instead of zoning out like it's background music. Classical is produced without compression and psycho processing so it doesn't jump into your brain without your permission, like modern music does. In the car you can barely hear what's going on unless it is compressed to hell, like WCPE does. But there is real nutrition in classical music that pays off over time. For the audiophile, reproducing tonally sophisticated acoustic instruments in acoustic space with lifelike dynamics is the ultimate challenge.

I started listening to classical seriously only in 2005. I got into audio just to be able to "hear it better." My HT was good enough for jazz and rock listening. This record got me started, heard it on WCPE one night, bought it, loved it, bought more Dvorak, which led to 5 new directions, loved some of them, bought them, learned more, etc.   Let your curiosity lead you.  There is some really hard core weird stuff out there, nobody will tell you to start there, but that may the thing that hooks you. Schnittke, Bartok, Cage, actually they are pretty tame.

Of course you're welcome to come over and listen anytime. Bring GBs ;)  I'll make some samplers for you when I think of something you might like.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:30 AM »
Ken,

Next time we have a G2G...check out my 'classical' folder...there will plenty for you to sample.

You may want to check out The Musical Heritage Society...they have extensive selections, and they (generally) have taken the time to peruse studio archives to come up with some of the best recordings/performances that were ever made.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:24:53 AM »
I'm in a similar boat to Ken.. so, I appreciate Rich's response as well.

I'm all set with my vintage tuner and antenna... just need the room to get done... which will be soon.
By this Spring, hopefully Ken will have picked some faves and I might have a few and we can have a classical showcase if you'd like.

BTW, I'm in the market for a Raysonic CDP.  That way when people come over with cd's, you can just pop them in... and you can play through the cdp's dac or SN DAC, to get closer to a starting point you like for comparisons.

Looking forward to how your classical interest and understanding develops, Ken. 

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Guys:

I want to first thank you for not laughing, at least in print, about my classical music question.  I also really appreciate the recommendations and detailed explanations provided by Rich.

I have heard Country Music, Rock Music, Pop Music and Smooth Jazz for most of my life but have never listened to classical music.  I guess it would be similar to being in a coma for 20 years and waking up to the world we find ourselves in today (just think computers were not a household fixture 20 years ago). 

Yes, Carl, I will purchase some classical albums and along with the music collect, some of Rich's favorites and the music Steve has we could have quite a listening experience.

Thanks Again,

Ken
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 07:27:37 PM by Bigfish8 »

dragan

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
Ken, don't feel bad about it. You're not the only one. There is nothing I love more then music, all kinds... Granted, I listen to blues, bluegrass, folk a lot but I do love pretty much everything else, but classical. It is something I just couldn't even bring myself to listen to. In my case, dislike for it is just to great.
Good luck to ya! :-)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:04:03 PM by dragan »

Offline stereofool

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »
Ken,

Here's a thought...I don't think you're too much younger than me. So, if you EVER watched cartoons, as a kid, then you have heard bits and pieces of all kinds of classical music. The musical directors of most of the cartoon 'houses' (eg Warner Bros, Disney, etc), used classical music to great effect.

Some cartoons were nothing but classical music with 'pictures' added. Some were cartoons with the music put in for effect...be it comedic, dramatic, peaceful, or whatever the director desired.

Anyway, you actually have a more solid base of classical music than you realize. Just wait to you listen to some piece, and your auditory memory goes...'that really sounds familiar'!!! Just thank those endless hours of sitting glued to the old TV...as laying the groundwork for your appreciation of ageless classical music  :lol:.

Now...as for Carl...he's so much younger that he grew up on all of those 'strange-ass' cartoons...which had no base in classical music, at all  :roll:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

westcoastman

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:01:31 AM »
Thanks Richdoo... I tuned in to WCPE on my SqueezeBox thru my Stello DAC.  It may not do it justice but it allows me to experience and widen my tastes in music which was mostly rock and easy listening. I was starting to get a little tired of listening to the same selections. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 12:43:11 PM »
That's right!!  :duh  I forgot they stream in every possible format on the net. Good call westcoastman!

They also have affilliates around the country who rebroadcast the programming on analog FM. Several repeaters in NC, but a few other stations around the country also broadcast.

They have broadcasts of Cleveland Orchestra concerts (monthly) and Metropolitan Opera (weekly.)  They used to broadcast NC Symphony concerts, but now that is available on WUNC, last Monday of each month at 8pm. That might stream too.  I was at symphony last night, it's great to be able to hear the concerts again with decent mics and a little compression, it's very different (and even better imo) than the audience seats, and I sit 6th row center.

WCPE has a playlist on the website which shows the coming programming, with specific artist and track info, album details, and a link to the CD available from Arkive Music. So if you hear something you like, you can look it up anytime in the next week and link to the CD, just note what time you heard it. A percentage of the linked sales go back to WCPE. It is a privately owned station funded by private contributions. Members receive a quarterly magazine which shows programming 3 months ahead, good for special concerts, composer birthdays, etc.

Details: http://theclassicalstation.org/

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
About.com offers this list:

http://classicalmusic.about.com/od/classicalmusic101/tp/symphonylist.htm

Mahler Symphony No. 9 in D Major
Haydn Symphony No. 34 in d minor
Beethoven Symphony No. 5 in c minor
Mozart Symphony No. 25 in g minor
Barber Symphony No. 1 in G Major
Haydn Symphony No. 94 in G Major
Dvorak Symphony No. 9 in e minor
Ives Symphony No. 1 in d minor
Brahms Symphony No. 2 in D Major
Beethoven Symphony No. 9 in d minor

If you are a complete newbie, I would rearrange the order and start with Beethoven's 5th.  From the opening chords, it will be familiar to you and it is magnificent form beginning to end.  Consider it the "Stairway to Heaven" of Classical music.  Look for the recording conducted by Leonard Bernstein in the 1970's...it may not be the best sonically, but the performance is the best I've heard.  (If you pursue the classics, it will astound you how much influence a conductor has the way a piece sounds. Two of my favorites are Berstein and Seiji Ozawa.) 

My #2 on this list would be the Dvorak (pronounced "Voor-JACQUES" as in "Jacques Cousteau").

#3 is not on the list, and not a symphony, but I would get a copy of either Appalachian Spring or Rodeo by Aaron Copland.  Often they are on the same CD, as they were written within a year or so of each other and are sometimes viewed as extensions of the same work. 

#4 would be Bethoven's 9th.  It is long and the fourth movement is the true highlight.  There are few pieces of music more glorious than the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony. Again, you will recognize the theme immediately.

Enjoy your exploration.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:49 PM »
duh Voor-Jacques - Pronounce the Duh

Good list Allen! Wide appeal, safe. Nobody would like all of them, but bound to be one that anyone would like.

I have been thinking about this all month. Finally Allen reminded me to write some ideas down here:

Bach is the original DNA of all classical music. All modern music flows from Bach. The father, that is... Johann Sebastian Bach. He had kids that all were composers. It is safe and powerful place to start. Undersyanding Bach allows you to be connected to the soul of the music, so you feel you belong there, not just a rock fan looking in through a peephole. That is important when the going gets tougher listening to harder to appreciate composers. Some of Bach is extremely churchy, but that's who paid his bills for his whole career. But there is also a lot of esoteric (for the time) experimental and educational music which has become the bulk of Bach music sales. Glenn Gould recorded most of Bach keyboard music, and he really made Bach what he is now in commercial success. Brandenburgs Concertos are good place to start, Keyboard concertos, solo sonatas. If you start with St Matthews Passion you will never listen to classical again. Long and boring religious choral. It is John Atkinson's desert island pick. UGH!   :duh

Another very safe and super stimulating avenue of discovery in classical music is Leonard Bernstein. He recorded most of what's in your list with New York Philharmonic on Columbia Records.  I have never heard a Bernstein performance I did not like, and many of them are the best interpretation I have ever heard, of a certain piece. Sometimes the band is sloppy, sometimes the Carnegie Hall acoustics were wonky, sometimes the recording quality is typical 60s quality. But all in all, it is usually a great way to spend an hour, no matter what the piece of music. Most of that old Columbia stuff is available on Sony now really cheap. There is tons of vinyl available too. Dvorak's 9th Symphony "From the New World" by Bernstein is awesome, as is Tchaikovsky 4th, no modern recording come close.  Bernstein also produced a television series for CBS with the NYP. Weekly show introducing classical music to young people. The DVDs are available from Amazon. This is a great way to learn about the composers and hear the major points from musicology standpoint, and hear musical demonstrations of the spoken points.

I bought a boxed set of Beethoven Piano Sonatas (solo) that was recorded in 1932-34. Incredible performances, better than anything happening today, even Paul Lewis' "perfect," Gramophone Editor's Choice complete cycle. Audio is terrible, like a 30s recording of Bessie Smith. But that vanishes and ythe music takes over.  btw, I'm thinking of some pieces that you would like, Ken. I will burn them for you and send to you soon.
Rich

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
Rich-if memory serves,some time ago you mentioned a boxed set, available on Amazon, that you thought was particularly good value for someone who wanted to get started with a classical collection.

I dont remember the specifics but this item may be worth mentioning again.

And thanks for getting some of us started down that road. I have listened all too briefly to classical and need to spend more time on that genre.Perhaps a collection of disks would launch the journey.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »
I don't remember that set steve. It might have been Beethoven set.

For locals the 89.7FM radio is really the best way to hear different styles and composers. It is pretty tame, so it's easy to get into it, and the audio quality is superb, the station manager is an audiophile and serious radio engineer, built some of the equipment herself according to Sol. Bass is solid down to 30Hz, and compression is very good quality analog gear. The Saturday Evening Request Program is always a good show, and the Sunday Night "Preview" show features new releases, that is probably the best chance to hear the more esoteric things.

They also stream on the net at theclassicalstation.org

There are some other serious classical radio stations that stream. I'll post when I come across them.

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »
Yep you are right. On Amazon.

Performance quality is a mixed bag but if you want to jump in with both feet here you go and the collections when taken as a whole are a bargain... just the cost of a couple of cheap cables.

Mozart Edition: Complete Works (170 CD Box Set) [BOX SET]
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
 Price:    $129.99

Beethoven Edition:
 Complete Works (85CD Box Set) [BOX SET] $125.99

Bach Edition: Complete Works (155 CD Box Set) [BOX SET]
 List Price:    $106.62

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 06:43:58 AM »
I have those Bach, Beethoven and Brahms boxes from Brilliant Classics. They are complilations of everything those composers are known to have written. They are good for reference.