Author Topic: Changing Musis Preference  (Read 2287 times)

Bigfish8

Changing Musis Preference
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »
Since I have gotten into this wonderful audio hobby my tastes in the type of music I prefer to listen to has changed dramatically.  When I jumped into this hobby two years ago my favorite music was Smooth Jazz.  I added a significant amount of smooth jazz cds and artists to my collection.  Now, I find myself almost never listening to smooth jazz as I much prefer artists like Ryan Adams, Dave Matthews, Van Zant, and yes as of today The Greatful Dead. 

I know this is kind of a dumb post but wondering if any of you guys have had a similar experience?

Ken

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Changing Musis Preference
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »
Ken,

Not a dumb post, at all.

Since we all have very (or at least relatively) revealing systems...they have opened a window into the 'music' that we may not have been able to fully appreciate...prior to having the nice 'toys'.

I will, at times, find myself listening to just about any kind of music...especially if it is recorded well, and allows me to 'sink' into the performance and not worry about the sound, per se.

However, some recordings are so atrocious...that even if the music were enjoyable...it becomes unlistenable trash  ](*,).
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Changing Musis Preference
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 04:28:01 AM »
I think it's a two way street.

Used to be that we listened just for the music and didn't concern ourselves with the recording.  Now, it's difficult to do as we're so attuned to the reproduction side of things.

I have found myself branching out a lot with different music.  I chalk that up to hanging out with other audio heads / music lovers who have different tastes and I get exposed to many things I would never have heard since I'd not tune into that station, buy that CD, etc.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley