Author Topic: NIN - The Slip  (Read 5783 times)

ik632

NIN - The Slip
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:49:28 AM »
Looks like Trent Reznor is embracing the world of free high quality music:
http://dl.nin.com/theslip/signup

This time it's a whole free album in wav, flac, mp3, or aac.

Nice work guys!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: NIN - The Slip
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »
Very cool! Now's the time for me to buy my first nine inch nails CD!!

They will have vinyl available in the summer too! Forward thinking marketers with their own best interests at heart.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »
Downloading now... thanks, Nick.
I hope the 'better-than-cd' quality flac is worthwhile.. If it's distorted head-banging, mp3 would be adequate...  we shall see... later, much, much later...  haha.. ;)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »
I'm not a big NIN fan but I did download the 24/96 FLAC version just to have a listen.

ik632

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 06:08:51 AM »
I downloaded mp3, flac and 24/96 flac. I could hear a slight difference between flac and high res flac on my system, so I'm sure you audiophile's will definitely hear it. The mp3's are fine for the car and portable players.

I think they are doing a great job setting the standard for media format. I hope other music people take notice and start offering music like this. I know that they will require payment, but the other album that they released also came in these formats.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:23:34 AM »
It's a pretty sweet album if you're into this kind of thing...  I definitely got into it.. It takes a couple of times to get into it.. and the bass is very nice.  Thanks again, I'm enjoying it. :)
-C

ik632

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 06:11:59 AM »
I really like the 4th song Discipline. Some of the other songs are a little harder to get into with the really weird drum beats that are used, but it's pretty good. I would say that it's better than the last one that I bought from them (Ghosts I-IV).

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:44:39 AM »
I never thought I'd say I liked 'Discipline' but in this case only, I definitely do.  ;)  If there was a 'hit' on the album, I would imagine that'd be it.  I like dreamy/swirly music towards the end also.  It takes a few times.

I can't play the 24-bit version on the SB3, btw.  It 'plays' but it's all choppy and weird.  Too much info for it to handle.  Now I have to download the 'normal' flac version. oy.

-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »
You might be able to reduce the 24/96 to 24/48 to play on SB using foobar. Or another free online music processor.

dbpoweramp music converter can do it, I think there is a free trial.
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 05:10:43 AM »
I downloaded the other flac and mp3 before reading your suggestion, Rich...  but that makes sense..

The fact that the SB3 can't handle 24-bit is no big deal since I'll be using an audio-pc in my reference system anyway... and the PC has no issue.

-C

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:35:12 AM »
The fact that the SB3 can't handle 24-bit is no big deal since I'll be using an audio-pc in my reference system anyway... and the PC has no issue.

-C

Actually, I believe the SB3 can handle 24bit.   It's the 96kHz it chokes on.   I think the SB3 can handle 24/48 while the Transporter can handle 24/96. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »
That's right Mike. That's also why Carl is hearing something, even though it sounds bad. SB is doing a rough 'downres conversion' on the fly, reading every other sample, or trying at least, or maybe not trying so hard?   

I always thought 24 bit was impossible on SB, only allowing 24 bit total. 16 for music and 8 more for volume control to the DAC. But apparently that's not true if 24/48 plays with VC active.

ik632

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 07:49:32 AM »
I thought it was my wireless network not being fast enough for 24/96. I downloaded both regular and high res flac when I downloaded though. It was a quick switch to play the regular flac on the SB3.