Systemic Development > Digital Audio Devices

Modems and jitter...

(1/2) > >>

P.I.:
Interesting thread at What's Best:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/cable-modems.30094/

GDHAL:

--- Quote from: P.I. on June 06, 2023, 11:36:02 AM ---Interesting thread at What's Best:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/cable-modems.30094/

--- End quote ---

The article reads as though it's specific to routers and modems. In any case, I rely on my DAC reclocker and my own ears. I'm not particularly worried about jitter. No playback system is exactly perfect, analog (with wow and flutter) or digital (with jitter as the analog equivalent).

Best.

Hal

Nick B:
Interesting topic, Dave, and very applicable to my current situation. After many weeks of waiting and constantly pushing my internet provider, they finally were able to run  RG11 from the street to my house. It'll be 3 more weeks until they actually hook me up in the house, but hey, i'll take it. Jack has suggested a whole house mesh system and an Arris router with DOCSIS 3.1 and that's what i bought and is awaiting installation. I believe my unit is an Arris SB 6600. It uses a 12v power supply. The mesh units are TP Link.

The first thing that occurred to me is trying to use one of my 2 lps for the Arris rather than the wall wart. One lps is from Mojo Audio  in New Mexico. It is 15v and I am wondering if it can be modded/adjusted down to 12v.

Hal made a comment as to jitter. I had the good fortune to buy a used Holo Audio Red streamer which supposedly has the lowest jitter as to streamers. I will say that the performance boost over my excellent iFi Zen streamer is significant. Whether it is because of the lower jitter, I can't say, but it's interesting to note. The iFi was using the Mojo Audio lps as it's power supply.

P.I.:

--- Quote from: Nick B on June 07, 2023, 12:27:14 PM ---Interesting topic, Dave, and very applicable to my current situation. After many weeks of waiting and constantly pushing my internet provider, they finally were able to run  RG11 from the street to my house. It'll be 3 more weeks until they actually hook me up in the house, but hey, i'll take it. Jack has suggested a whole house mesh system and an Arris router with DOCSIS 3.1 and that's what i bought and is awaiting installation. I believe my unit is an Arris SB 6600. It uses a 12v power supply. The mesh units are TP Link.

The first thing that occurred to me is trying to use one of my 2 lps for the Arris rather than the wall wart. One lps is from Mojo Audio  in New Mexico. It is 15v and I am wondering if it can be modded/adjusted down to 12v.

Hal made a comment as to jitter. I had the good fortune to buy a used Holo Audio Red streamer which supposedly has the lowest jitter as to streamers. I will say that the performance boost over my excellent iFi Zen streamer is significant. Whether it is because of the lower jitter, I can't say, but it's interesting to note. The iFi was using the Mojo Audio lps as it's power supply.

--- End quote ---

Jitter and wow and flutter are not really equivalent.  W&F result in pitch wandering whereas jitter is more of a noise, rise time and aliasing bug.

I'm sure Ben can reconfigure his LPS for you.

Good luck getting anything don in a timely manner...  my secret cynic is pissed off right now! 😡 

GDHAL:

--- Quote from: P.I. on June 07, 2023, 03:55:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on June 07, 2023, 12:27:14 PM ---Interesting topic, Dave, and very applicable to my current situation. After many weeks of waiting and constantly pushing my internet provider, they finally were able to run  RG11 from the street to my house. It'll be 3 more weeks until they actually hook me up in the house, but hey, i'll take it. Jack has suggested a whole house mesh system and an Arris router with DOCSIS 3.1 and that's what i bought and is awaiting installation. I believe my unit is an Arris SB 6600. It uses a 12v power supply. The mesh units are TP Link.

--- End quote ---

Jitter and wow and flutter are not really equivalent.  W&F result in pitch wandering whereas jitter is more of a noise, rise time and aliasing bug.

I'm sure Ben can reconfigure his LPS for you.

Good luck getting anything don in a timely manner...  my secret cynic is pissed off right now! 😡

--- End quote ---

Jitter and wow and flutter are essentially the same thing, frequency modulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow_and_flutter_measurement

or google "jitter vs wow and flutter" for other articles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version