Systemic Development > Digital Audio Devices

Topping E70 Velvet DAC

(1/4) > >>

HAL:
Decided to order the Topping E70 Velvet DAC with the AKM AK4499EX DAC.  This is a 32bit R2R balanced output DAC.  The new version is a two IC implementation since their foundry fab fire took out that one IC line.  Going to use this with the headphone rig.

I heard a prototype of the original one IC AK4499 in the dspNexus 2x8 and sounded better than the stock AK4493EQ DAC.  Problem was the prototype ran at 104C, so component longevity would not be good, so a redesign in the future might happen.  Since the production unit is not released, still TBD.

Will see what happens.

https://apos.audio/products/topping-e70-velvet-desktop-dac-digital-to-analog-convertor?_pos=2&_sid=79e63c641&_ss=r

ejk:
I was checking that out the other day. Let us know how it sounds. If you could hook it up as a Pre for a bit, I would be more interested.

Nick B:

--- Quote from: HAL on December 17, 2022, 10:27:50 AM ---Decided to order the Topping E70 Velvet DAC with the AKM AK4499EX DAC.  This is a 32bit R2R balanced output DAC.  The new version is a two IC implementation since their foundry fab fire took out that one IC line.  Going to use this with the headphone rig.

I heard a prototype of the original one IC AK4499 in the dspNexus 2x8 and sounded better than the stock AK4493EQ DAC.  Problem was the prototype ran at 104C, so component longevity would not be good, so a redesign in the future might happen.  Since the production unit is not released, still TBD.

Will see what happens.

https://apos.audio/products/topping-e70-velvet-desktop-dac-digital-to-analog-convertor?_pos=2&_sid=79e63c641&_ss=r

--- End quote ---

Will be interesting to get your thoughts as you’re an analog guy. Am curious, what dacs you might have tried before this one.

Nick

jmc207:

--- Quote from: ejk on December 17, 2022, 10:34:38 AM ---I was checking that out the other day. Let us know how it sounds. If you could hook it up as a Pre for a bit, I would be more interested.

--- End quote ---

I too would am interested in your impressions, especially if hooked to a preamp.

Thanks, John

HAL:
I will post my feedback, but it will go into my headphone rig without a preamp or as the preamp depending on how you look at it since it will control volume. 

My speaker system uses a DSP as the preamp, even for phono.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version