Author Topic: Melody P2688 preamplifier  (Read 2622 times)

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
Melody P2688 preamplifier
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
Hey guys, I mentioned this model being introduced a while  back, but I wanted to create it's own thread because it's here and available.  I loved it as soon as I heard it for the first time, and at T.H.E. Show last week we made a direct swap between the older Pure Black 101 and the new P2688.  Everybody was stunned at the difference.  (Maybe Pete will chime in here, nudge nudge  :lol:)  I have to say it's one of the best I've heard. 

Like the AN series integrated amps it has the new silver chassis, better transformers with C-cores from Japan, (wound in-house) and premium internal parts quality across the board, including M-Cap Silver/Oil caps, Jensen Copper Foil caps, Jensen custom ceramic coated caps, fabric covered solid core wire, etc.  Of course like its lesser brethren it's still hand wired point-to-point.  The tube compliment is a pair of NOS Western Electric 403's, Melody's signature 101D tubes for voltage regulation, and a 5U4G rectifier.

It's priced at $6999 and the gap between the P2688 and the tried and true Pure Black 101 is significant.

Specifications:
Vacuum Tubes  101Dx2, WE403x2, 5U4x1 
Output Level  3V (Max 28V) 
Frequency Response  3Hz - 100kHz 
Input Impedance  250k Ohms 
Signal to Noise Ratio  >90dB 
THD  0.02% 
Channel Balance  <0.5dB (20Hz - 100kHz) 
Total Gain  20dB 
Dimensions  17.3" x 8.5" x 15" 
Net Weight  62lbs 
Tim Evans