Author Topic: How much does it cost to have ethernet installed?  (Read 14319 times)

Phil

How much does it cost to have ethernet installed?
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:22:19 PM »
IT Gurus,

What is the approximate cost per drop in an existing residence (assuming cat6a shielded cable)?  One floor with attic large enough to walk in.  Does the price include patching walls (if necessary)?

Thanks.

Phil

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: How much does it cost to have ethernet installed?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »
Hi Phil,
Seems to run $200-250 per drop according to Google search. Good electricians get $75-$100/hour flat rate here in central NC. If you hire a networking contractor, get references to verify their quality, google them to find any upset customers on local business forums.

If there is good attic access to the top of the walls where you want the port then their should not be any sheetrock repair, just the box hole. Electricians drop outlets all the time, they have the tools and experience to avoid damaging the walls.  Doubtful the electrician would do the sheetrock repair. It requires several days work in a row to allow for drying time. And a sheetrock guy won't do the painting either. Maybe you can find a good handyman who can do it all.

The latest wireless routers like D-Link can cover your whole house easily, and will exceed the internet access speed. Copper is nice for streaming HD video, but probably not needed for anything else. I've installed a couple of these to solve tough residential networking issues. http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530

Phil

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »
Thanks, Rich. 

Just discovered there is a local place that handles surround sound systems and the like.  Cost is about $150 per drop.  They do poke holes in walls but have someone who patches and textures.

Thanks for the dlink suggestion.  My problem is audio nervosa  :?

I read that a wired connection sounded better when using logitech Touch (perhaps the theory is that wireless stuff pollutes the other gear).  So...with a 50 ft patch cable I was able to confirm the theory.  And, as a consequence of having a wired connection, am able to use software improvements (read:  artful linux hacks written by someone who is obviously an audiophile) as well.  Tested them too.  Together, they turn the Touch into a truly excellent transport (better than the one in my source).  At that point, it was just a matter of convincing my very understanding wife.

The other upside is wiring two other locations for future use.  Will see how it goes...

Phil

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »
That's great!

You could probably DIY it if you're feelin handy..  You'll need a fish tape, an auger bit, some string, a utility knife, punch tool. Figure $50 of tools. Get cat6 wire and leviton punch blocks and outlet ports from Home Depot. Leviton website tells you how to do it...
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCZzpHome.jsp?minisite=10027

Some tips: make sure you don't injure other wires when you drill or cut, never step on ceiling sheetrock from above, wash insulation off your hands with very cold water, measure twice - cut once. Have fun!

For some of us, especially those who have already had the joy of pulling wire, it's even more fun to pay someone to crawl around in the attic.  :thumb:

Phil

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
Thanks, Rich.  You always provide helpful links!

This being the holiday season, I'm going to let someone else give the gift that will keep on giving (I've done my time in the attic).

The improvement in sound has me intrigued.  Is it because the transport is now outside the DAC/preamp?  Or is it the result of a bit-perfect ripped copy?  Or that the transport is clearly the weakest part of my redesigned source (it is about the original part used)? 

Well....who cares?  I'm still amazed that a $300 mass-produced device can be tweaked into an audiophile transport.  Sure, the big audio rags have already told the story, but now I'm experiencing it!

Phil 

djdube525

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
Hi Phil,

Have you considered some of the Ethernet over Powerline Adapters?
I'm using the Netgear 3rd generation (fast enough to run high def video over)...
 Much, much easier than dropping in lines.

Something to consider anyways.

Dave

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »
Great idea Dave. I've never used that before.

Phil, also play around with the settings in slimserver to have the computer vs the Touch do the decoding of compressed files like FLAC. I found that this had an effect, the computer decoded flac better than the Squeezebox, causing a very slight but audible difference where there should be none.  I now know what an effect jitter has on the digital stream, and I suspect that the internal flac dedoder may mess with that timing in some way. The other thing related to that was my old Linksys 10Mbit wireless router was not able to handle sending uncompressed WAV files, so I was forced to decode flac on the SB3 unless I used hardwire link. But I already had data drop in the stereo's front wall...  The difference in SQ was so minor so after a while I just didn't worry about it.

djdube525

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »
One other tidbit... If you need multiple drops, the Netgear has a module with a four port switch built in.

I'd grab a link from Amazon... But I'm stuck with an iPhone, and I've never got the hang of cut n paste. If you search on Amazon, look for the 200 Mbit versions.

Dave

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 03:17:06 PM »
Hi Phil,

Have you considered some of the Ethernet over Powerline Adapters?
I'm using the Netgear 3rd generation (fast enough to run high def video over)...
 Much, much easier than dropping in lines.

Something to consider anyways.

Dave

+1 for ethernet over power.  i have been using one for good 3 yrs now for extending ethernet to family room for ps3 which kept losing connection to wireless every time the microway was used.  I will be running a hard wire ethernet drop for the basement from study room to the touch since my basement is not finished (yet).