Author Topic: Inexpensive integrated recommendations?  (Read 14051 times)

djdube525

Inexpensive integrated recommendations?
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:12:56 AM »
I keep waffling on separates vs integrated... although in the end, finances will likely dictate the end result to an integrated.

I was wondering if people had any recommendations for something in the under $800 realm (unfortunately that's probably pushing it).

Some that have caught my attention are:
Rega Mira 3 (used)
Musical Fidelity A3.5 (used - at the edge of the ole price range)
Music Hall 25.2 (used again - seems to be had for around $400 - $450)

Would consider tube based... although not necessary a remote is nice.
Only "perceived downside" of tubes would be heat and warm up time.

They would be driving Onix Strata Mini's... which is not the most efficient at 86dB, but the 8" woofer has a dedicated/built in amp that helps out. So I would suspect the Rega or Music Hall would be plenty of power.

This would be an upgrade from a Yamaha HT receiver which has been strictly used for 2 ch listening (one uses what they have). :-)

What else - music tastes... it varies...
Not much on the heavy rock side... definitely no metal...
We've been migrating to more and more blues and jazz

Thoughts?

Dave

shep

Re: Inexpensive integrated recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 06:00:59 AM »
Musical Fidelity A-1 used? Class A. A very nice amp. Not much power though. There are several versions, going back to the 80's and one recent.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:03:35 AM »
NOT Exposure 2010.

Under $1000 used, I think SS is the wtg.

But Prima Luna and Cayin are worth checking out if you are tempted by tubes. Get KT88 tubes for best bass control.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »
This is a good option... I've heard this before and liked it:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1261278768&/Pathos-Classic-One-

what speakers are you driving?  What kind of power do you need? 

Absolutely no affiliation with seller, btw... just did a quick search on the gon in the price range and that seemed to jump out...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

djdube525

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »

what speakers are you driving?  What kind of power do you need? 

They are the Onix Strata Mini's
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/stratamini/stratamini.html
Some specs at the bottom

It'll probably take me a while to actually pull the trigger. I spend too
much time researching... and it would be nice to get a listen to some
of the options.

With that said, thanks for the suggestion above... it's something I can
keep my eyes out for - doubtful it'll be around when I make a decision.

The only other *need* is an extra set of RCA outs to drive an external amp
(for outdoor speakers).

● Four-Way System; Woofer Slot Loaded
● Drivers: One 1" Planar-Magnetic Tweeter, One 8" Planar-
   Magnetic Midrange, One 5.25" Cone Mid/Woofer, One
   Powered (350 Watts) 8" Cone Subwoofer
● Sensitivity:  86 dB/W/M
● MFR:  27 Hz - 35 kHz ± 3 dB
● Crossover Frequencies:  650 Hz, 4.1 kHz; Mid/Woofer
   High-Passed at 80 Hz
● Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:59 AM »
I've only heard those speakers for about 5 minutes at RMAF a few years ago.  I've read conflicting accounts online about how much power they require to sound their best.  most accounts that I've read (and believing things that are written on message boards should be done at one's own risk), unlike the review you link to, suggest they need a fair bit of power.  So I would think lower powered stuff would be something to veer off from...

Understand the taking your time to decide...  good plan if you can hear some of this stuff before buying... more difficult with designs that are discontinued and offered in your price class because of their used and discontinued status...

as Rich said, a good solid state piece might be in order to allow the power, plus the review seems to indicate the speakers err on the side of covering up detail... so you don't necessarily need the tubes to act as tone controls even if they would add some of the harmonic richness that can be missing in some SS designs..
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »
I think the 4 way crossover, planar ribbons, 86dB sensitivity makes a <1k tube integrated amp unlikely to satisfy. You need more power than a pair of el34s can deliver. The Cayin A100T would do OK, if you could find one used, but avg used price is $1800.

bunnyma357

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
I have the Strata Minis and run them with a 38 wpc Onix SP3 integrated tube amp, and they sound really nice. I've got a pretty small 10x10x9 room. Although, I've read reports of them coming alive with more power, I really like the sound of them with tubes enough that I've never felt compelled to look for a more powerful amp.

Jim C

bunnyma357

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »
Obviously used gear is going to give you your best bang for the buck, but here are a few alternatives.

You might also look at the Peachtree Decco, I've read many good things about it, but haven't actually heard it.

It includes a nice USB/Coax/Optical DAC, has a remote and pre-outs, and is hybrid to give you a tube preamp stage with 50 wpc of SS amplification.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_731DECBG/Peachtree-Audio-Decco-Black.html?tp=34948

For more power, and low cost separates you might check out the Emotiva USP-1/UPA-2, a good mix of features and power for $600 - I haven't heard these or read anything about them, so I don't know about their sound quality.

http://emotiva.com/usp1.shtm
http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

Jim C
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:06:13 PM by bunnyma357 »

djdube525

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
Admittedly... I was originally thinking along the lines of a looking for a used Odyssey Khartago Stereo amp and then a decent pre-amp... even with a grounded grid, that is starting to exceed the threshold.

These are in a fairly large room (not ideal mind you) so I would tend to think more power is needed.

Once you start crossing the $800-$1000 threshold, separates like I had mentioned above become interesting.

I know someone somewhat local with a Music Hall. Maybe I can entice him to bring it over with some beer and food. :) It would at least be a good guage if something on the lower power wise would work.

Dave
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:35:16 PM by djdube525 »

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »
Classe' makes some nice sounding integrated amps that can be had for a reasonable price on the used market. The is a 100 WPC unit (CAP-101) up on Audiogon right now for $699

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1262494546&/Classe-CAP-101-100-wpc-integra

(You just missed a 150 WPC unit that went for $499  :duh)

Good luck in your hunt.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »
   Check out Nightshade Audio. He can build an amp for your speakers. Reasonable pricing and excellent sound. BTW I have not heard a Cayin unit I did not like.
  Another way to go is a tubed pre like a used Conrad Johnson PV10 Pre and a SS amp, say Odyssey, Classe or Plinius. If you have the space available a consideration.
    OK no laughing. The NAD BBE series is a sleeper and giant killer IMO. The quality of the bass alone is worth a listen, top end is smooth and detailed.  Worth a listen anyway. You are limited in choice for tubes because of the sensitivity of your speakers at 86db. You need da juice big time. At least 100 W/ channel to make them sing effortlessly. Yes less powered amps can work but not as well.
    If you really want the best search out a VAC Avatar. If you can find one. Sharpen the arrows and let the hunt continue. DO NOT SETTLE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIME.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 03:40:12 AM »
Don't know those speakers, but agree that with the larger room, rather low efficiency, and 4-way design I'd go with more rather than less power.  OTOH the powered woofer does mitigate this issue somewhat as well as poor bass damping found in many tube power amps.

I tried to go with an underpowered amp years ago.  Worked surprisingly well, but more power turned the speakers from polite dinner guests into NFL linebackers in tuxedos (not a subtle difference).

Unfortunately with your power/price needs you are on the edge between mid-fi and some really nice stuff if you go retail.  Don't sell short, if needed push the budget a bit.  Keep your eyes open and be patient.

shep

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 04:30:19 AM »
If power becomes less of an issue and you don't want to search for used gear, I keep hearing very good things about the Dayan integrated (6Moons reviewed it a while back) There is an unpgraded version for 280$
which would leave you some change for interconnects or something. There are some smokiing deals occasionaly over on Audio Circle and you know your're getting what you paid for.

ltr317

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
How about the Jolida 1701a hybrid integrated amp at $500 retail?