Author Topic: Hovland Musicaps  (Read 10643 times)

musicfile

Hovland Musicaps
« on: November 13, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I'm thinking of  inserting new caps into my Dodd Monoblocks
For those that have heard the Dodds they are very dynamic and neutral amps I  wanted to warm things up a bit and insert musicaps in the coupling positions
My system right now is very neutral sounding and I have teflon vcaps in my pre amp already so detail and transparency is a plenty

Opinions on this move

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Hovland Musicaps
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
What brand and model caps are in there now? Capacitance and voltage? Input coupling right?

Gary probably tried a bunch of caps while voicing it, I bet he would know which way to go.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily call Hovlands warm... they're warmer than some, but not warm like a typical oil impregnated cap.  If I had to characterize them, I'd call them more neutral than warm... 

BTW, I've got a bunch of Hovlands here from speaker building days if there is a size and voltage that interests you.....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 03:10:00 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

musicfile

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
Gary seems to like Mundorfs Silver/Gold I tried these along with russian pio caps ..still searching for that elusive sound   8)

For my ears I think the Hovlands would strike a nice balance bettween both extremes
Yes these would be for the input and driver stage -3 in total per amp

Thanks Hometheatre I'm looking for .33 or .47 600 volts variety - 6 in total

btw to me neutral are the Teflon Vcaps as neutral and transparent as can be in my system
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:34:54 PM by musicfile »

shep

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 01:05:56 AM »
If you don't know of this site; http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html. I doubt there is a better source of information although he has not yet included all the russian types. I use Jantzen Superior S in x'over and it is very very good and not outrageously priced. Mind you they may not have the values for amplification so I may be speaking out of my hat here.

musicfile

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »
Yup checked that sight out as well
Tony Gee is da man

At this point i'm not sure whether to go with all hovlands in my amp or add in a  mundorf
I heard mixing and matching is the way to go when voicing coupling caps

musicfile

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »
Ok I've read so much on caps I now have a headachE

At this point i'm hoping others can chime in with their Cap Recommendations
for Coupling positions on my Dodd Amps

Thanks

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »
  I'll second the Mundorf Silver/oil if you want warmer use the silver/gold . I've used both as well as V-caps . My amp uses a 211 output tube. Depending on what tube I use made a HUGE difference in the final selection of caps. When using the GE211 the Mundorfs were warm and warmer [ silver, silver/gold] compared to the V-cap. When using the RCA 211 the V-cap was the one. Match the cap to the character of your output tubes character. You know the ol Yin and Yang trick. Balance baby balance.
  Have you tried different tubes ? They will change the character more than any cap change IMO. Another option is your front end. A tubed CDP or fuller and richer sounding CDP like a Lector or equal[ not many do]. If you have a neutral system then the source can be the flavor you desire which will be presented through your speakers. Have fun trying.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 08:05:21 AM »
You know you want it.....

live a little!  :thumb: 

Sounds even tastier than it looks! @@

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:22:32 AM »
You know you want it.....

live a little!  :thumb:  

Sounds even tastier than it looks! @@

:drool: enough said.

charles
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:53:24 PM by Carlman »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

musicfile

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:03:54 AM »
Thanks Guys for the input
Mundorf SIO Is not the ticket too bright for this application
Anyone have experience with Dynamicaps in the coupling position
My dodds excell in Transparency and dynamics now looking for a bit of texture and air
I have teflon vcaps in my Preamp so trying to smoothen things out a bit with loosing all the good stuff

Further opinions appreciated

shep

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »
I personally favor Jentzen caps. They are not terribly expensive. Starting from the Superior S series and up.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
Thanks Guys for the input
Mundorf SIO Is not the ticket too bright for this application
Anyone have experience with Dynamicaps in the coupling position
My dodds excell in Transparency and dynamics now looking for a bit of texture and air
I have teflon vcaps in my Preamp so trying to smoothen things out a bit with loosing all the good stuff

Further opinions appreciated

Mundorf SIO are NOT bright. You want extra warm then Russian try PIO or NOS , I would contact Dodd and ask them what cap would add the desired affect. BTW Auri caps may fit very nicely.

charles

musicfile

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:03 AM »
Gary Dodd tends to like the Mundorf Silver Gold

In comparison to other very neutral caps Mundorf do have that juicy sound ..in some systems not all that may come off as being bright ..again ymmv
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:39:59 PM by musicfile »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »
I installed a set of Mundorf silver and Oils into a pair of Dodd monoblocks for a fellow audiophile. I know he likes a lush sound, but the cap choice was his. He was initially impressed with the sound and the detail and the transparency, but found that he grew tired of it after 6 months and sold his Dodd's.

So transparency and detail are not for everyone. If you're looking for lush then get something that is definitely lush, like PIO's. If you want transparency and detail and texture, then the SIO's and teflons are the way to go IMO.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.