Author Topic: Manley Neo Classic 300B  (Read 17194 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Manley Neo Classic 300B
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 04:07:24 PM »
I finally got around to connecting these amps directly to the Ushers using the Speltz zeroformers, and Ed's crisscross speaker connection. I went right for the max 4:1 ratio, not yet pulled back to the lesser ratios yet.  The autoformer definitely gives more control and detail in the bass. Maybe slightly thinner in the mids, hard to tell. The autoformer multiplies the impedance of the speaker by a constant factor depending on which taps you connect to the amp. So with 4:1 tap, impedance at every frequency is multiplied by 4. The minimum impedance of the speakers becomes 16 ohms! :shock: With an easier load the amps can play louder without distortion. I can use the high impedance tap on the amps output transformer, and fiddling around with feedback level further fine tunes the amps to the music at hand. I think in the end they are not quite enough power for me though it is borderline, and most of the time it is enough. Symphonies need a little more. But the autoformer makes a huge difference. Actual output impedance of these amps is 1.8ohms in PP mode.

The zeroformers don't negatively affect the sound of the amp as badly as anticable speaker wires did. I don't hear the ringing, but it's still not the JPS sound.

300B is a truly beautiful sound. Clear and powerful, but intimate and "special." The smooth relaxed sound is unlike anything I have heard before. Class A is the way for me. Same feeling I heard on Pass F5 at RMAF08 but more gain and more soul with the tubes. It is definitely warm and a bit glowy, which works well sometimes, and not others.   Even though I usually don't like modern female singers after working with the primadonnas offstage for many years, I have to admit the sound of estrogen is seriously sinful on this combo, Usher and Manley 300B. No preamp.

If I crank up the feedback and use the amps 4-8ohm output tap I can play rock very convincingly, at pretty loud levels. Not as clean bass as some SS amps, but very authoritative bass, and plenty enough texture to satisfy.

I'll book a g2g after TG.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
Took the autoformers out again for comparison, surprisingly the bass is cleaner without them. Also a lot louder without the transformer. As suspected mids are fuller and better balanced top to bottom. What I think I liked about it was the ringing of the copper windings the treble, gave an amazing sparkle. But after a while the imbalance was noticeable.

This sounds so good I am even listening to my least favorite recording ever - Wilco Sky Blue Sky. So far 4 songs in a row, no hives or nausea.  I really like these amps.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 03:07:10 PM »
Rich,
I know what you mean about the female primadonnas. Many years ago I spent the summer working as a stage manager/sound engineer for the concert series in our local park. One Sat morning I threatened to pull my entire crew and cancel that evenings show because Diane Carrol brought the bitch personality of her Dynasty character to rehearsal with her and was being so abusive to everyone in the place. However two week later we did a show with Pearl Bailey and Louis Bellson and you couldn't have asked for two nicer people to work with. When you are really good, and you know it there is no need to show off and throw your weight around.  I guess it is kind of the same thing as new yuppie millionaires vs people with old money.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables