Author Topic: Bryston?  (Read 16582 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Bryston?
« on: July 27, 2008, 10:47:47 AM »
Is a Bryston amp as clear as claimed? Does it have harmonic integrity of a good low distortion tube amp? I used to think NO ss amp could do that after hearing many big name superamps that all failed to transmit life. Then I heard the Altmann BYOB chip amp and my prejuduce was nuked, though I still haven't heard another ss amp that can equal tubes in that regard of aliveness.

At our last G2G while listening to the Quad 2905s, Shane made the observation that the McIntosh MC402 was cleaner and less distortion than the tube amps. Despite not lightning up the room with ambient glow. Afterward I confirmed that he was right, midrange clarity was better especially when the going gets rough in big orchestral music, the power really makes it work. The Butler 2250 has the most beautiful clear and satisfying bass I've ever heard. So I would like to get all these benefits in one package. Hopefully the tube premium that I have gotten used  to will allow moving to SS with minimal pain.

I ignored Bryston for a while, thinking it just a well built pro audio amp with samo limitations as all moderately prices SS amps, until I saw some nice awards and great reviews coming from reviewers who I respect. Still never heard it though, so the anticipation isn't really too high just yet.

Combine that with the growing urge to jetison the tube headaches and simplify system operation so the family can sit down and listen whenever they want even when I'm not there, and brands like Bryston and Para-Halo come to mind. These both have decent performance, and inter-component integration. With Brystons new CDP, DAC, new 2 box preamp, and 4 or 14B SST, might make a  nice sounding system. Another brand in that category I was reading about last couple days was the new NAD Master series, but not sure the sound is snappy enough.

Being a Gemini, the more I scheme about building a homogenized ss unisystem, the more my alter ego is looking at superexotics like Transcendent Sound's "The Beast" and Aikido preamp. Both of which require DIY assembly. I just don't think I'm up for that yet, maybe on the tube homecoming system that will doubtless follow the SS journey.

I don't want to give up the inner light and lightning fast microdetail to which I have grown accustomed. How's Bryston? Any other brands in this category? All opinions warmly welcomed! Let er rip!!
Rich

Black Sand Cable

Re: Bryston?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »
If you like what the MC402 brings to the table along with the Butler 2250, why not try the Moscode 401HR?

From what I can tell, this amp should be the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:07:53 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:03:53 PM »
I'd agree.  I don't think the Bryston is going to be your answer.  The Moscode might do the trick for you

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
Moscode is a nice sounding amp, but overpriced at 6500, IMO. It's still got 2 tube stages, I'm shooting for none. I want more power and reliability too. Thanks for the suggestion guys. I will listen to it again this fall. RMAF 06 it sounded great with Placette in front, but last year I couldn't hear (or see) past the Quads.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:28:45 PM »
Well, if you want uber reliable, no tubes, gutsy bottom end and a nice midrange/good imaging - that points me to Sim Audio or Pass Labs

Bryan

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
mmm Pass Labs...  :drool:
That IS not only what you want.  That is what you NEED.  :twisted:
haha
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:14:49 AM »
I have to agree.  I have heard several Bryston amps and in my opionon they are thin and lifeless in comparison to the current Pass Labs amps.  I didn't think the Bryston stuff sounded bad, but it just wasn't as good as my Pass Labs. 

I think both companies are producing quality products and both will stand behind their stuff, but the Pass Labs stuff is just better sounding - especially if you turn up the voulume.

FYI - I will still try and listen to the new Bryston DAC when I get a chance.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:03:37 AM »
spudco, the Brystons you heard were they the new patented "quad complimentary" circuitry (size 4 and bigger) of the newer SST vintage? Quite a lot has changed since ST versions. 

I started checking out Pass Labs and Sim also. Thanks!

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 07:42:49 AM »
If system "tubeyness" is a linear scale from 1 - 10 (yeah yeah, bear with me) all the parts play into the final number somehow.  Go for a fatter sounding preamp and big, nonoffensive SS amp.  6SN7s would be the obvious choice here.  It's like Big Triode, but in the pre.  Aqui se habla DeHavilland. 

If that triode thing is what you need, it's gonna be hard to get just in the amp without tube stages.  They just ain't the same thing.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
When I say "like tubes" I don't mean fat and round and glowing, please pass the sherry. I mean the spatial transparency and tonal accuracy that tubes do better than most ss, basically the speed and organic feeling that reveals more of what's on the recording. All of the other changes that tubes do to the sound I want rid of. The Ushers show any kind of distortion for what it is, so I want as little as possible, plus they need more headroom than any practicle tube amp can deliver.  So I don't want triode glory, is that what Pass is like? They seem pretty proud of the 2nd and 3rd order distortion, sweet treble, etc. 

Placette active is my idea of perfect "preamp." What is a good analogy of that in power amp?
Thanks

miklorsmith

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
Great triodes aren't fat, round or glowing.  The Yamamoto 45 amp I had was none of those, in fact it was a little hyperactive.  I wouldn't expect a very good "fatter" preamp to get too plump.  I don't think any of them are going to sound like a 300B.  I was referring to the good elements about the deep triode sound, not the bad.

What I gather about Pass Labs (as opposed to First Watt) is that they are clean and clear as glass.  It's the FW stuff that he's tailoring distortions for tube-like sound.  I haven't heard any of them, just going from what I understand from others.

I haven't heard the Placette, so can't help you there.

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »
spudco, the Brystons you heard were they the new patented "quad complimentary" circuitry (size 4 and bigger) of the newer SST vintage? Quite a lot has changed since ST versions. 

I started checking out Pass Labs and Sim also. Thanks!

I did hear the older ST model. 

Also, I use a Pass Labs X-1 preamp - with balanced interconnects.  I like it.  It has been rock solid.  Extremely quite and transparent.  (I still sometimes daydream of a tube preamp...)  I'm not a big fan of the X-1's remote interface - Somewhat of a problem if you use a fancy remote and like to program complex macros.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »
I still think what you're really after is a tube front end with a big SS amp.  That's what you're describing.

Think about something like this  http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/home.htm with the Pass or Sim amps.  Clean, clear, image like mad, etc.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »
OK, thanks for the clarification guys. I have some work to do, but it will be fun.

Bryan are you talking about Pass class AB or A amps? spudco, can I ask you which Pass amp you are using? Thanks
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »
Something like the X-350