Author Topic: Critical listening?  (Read 6731 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Critical listening?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
I recall an audition in 1975.  I was a college kid shopping for way beyond my means speakers.  The place had JBL L-300's (huge boxy speakers with 15 inch woofer and horn midrange and tweeter, $1800/pair as I recall).  Yeah they sounded good (like good artificial hifi is supposed to sound).  Then the sale man switched over to another set (without telling me what I was listening to) and asked what I thought.

Well I didn't know what to think.  They sounded different but somehow "right".  Then he asked if I could identify which speakers in the small room crowded with speakers were playing.  Not until I walked right up to them did I identify the Fried Model B's.  But it didn't "compute".  All that bass from maybe 2 liter LS3/5a clones?  Then he pointed to the Fried mass loaded transmission line loaded bass "coffin".  These were the 2.1 Fried Model H.

I was stunned and confused at my first audio epiphanies (proper non-exagerated sound and the effectiveness possible from a separate bass unit).  He handed me company/product literature and left me to study them for months until I could get back there again.  That sound wouldn't leave my memory.  A year later I owned the Model B's and two years later I built the two cabinet version of the "coffin".