Author Topic: TV Show Soundtrack  (Read 2068 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
TV Show Soundtrack
« on: May 13, 2020, 08:57:45 PM »
One of the software vendors I use for my musical instrument sounds is holding a competition. They have edited a 4 minute car chase sequence from season 3 episode 5 of Westworld on HBO. They stripped out the musical score and everyone entering creates their own and uploads it to YouTube.

I hope you like my entry. I had a blast making this. It was fun and educational for me. First time doing anything like this. I have to say, after doing this I am acutely aware of all music behind movies and TV shows. It's almost distracting.

https://youtu.be/TeoEydG1-so
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: TV Show Soundtrack
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »
Pretty cool Bob, but maybe a bit too ethereal, and not intense enough(?)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:51:29 AM »
One of the software vendors I use for my musical instrument sounds is holding a competition. They have edited a 4 minute car chase sequence from season 3 episode 5 of Westworld on HBO. They stripped out the musical score and everyone entering creates their own and uploads it to YouTube.

I hope you like my entry. I had a blast making this. It was fun and educational for me. First time doing anything like this. I have to say, after doing this I am acutely aware of all music behind movies and TV shows. It's almost distracting.

https://youtu.be/TeoEydG1-so

Not being an HBO subscriber, I wasn’t familiar with the show. I really enjoyed your artistic style and presentation. Also thought it was very well done technically.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:31:50 PM »
This is great! Been a fan of the show but am behind. How did you come up with the music and how did you decide what cues to emphasize?

Paul

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 05:24:29 AM »
Thanks everyone. I paid attention to the soundttrack on other episodes and saw how the show's composer used different instruments and chord patterns, especially dissonance, to create a mood. Then I just pulled out some sounds from my synths and used them. I definitely needed strings and piano plays a big role in the show's opening and other scenes. Mostly I just went by feel, then listened, changed something, then listened, played it for my wife and daughter and got their feedback, then tweaked the cues and timing so it lined up better with each clip and with each other. Some things didn't work so they came out. Listened on headphones, then on speakers, adjusted EQ and compression, mastering levels and such. It's a process, but not terribly different from putting together any other song or recording.

A lot of trial and error, like most anything else you do for the first time.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
'Here's a new one I just completed. I wrote an ambient piece and then had to find a story line for it, so I used some stock photo's and ... So let me know if you like the story behind the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYFvhZmdCA

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:51:12 PM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for posting. Many beautiful photos throughout and a nice theme. Also enjoyed the music. It would have been interesting if you had started either with the furthest reaches of the universe and sequentially moved back toward our solar system, the planets, the earth, then the sea or progressed with the sea as your starting point and then moved out toward the edge of the seeable universe.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS