Author Topic: Bring back '3" channel recordings.  (Read 2647 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Bring back '3" channel recordings.
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:46:09 AM »
Anyone hear the RCA "3" channel SACD's? Sweet! As a matter of fact for me the whole Surround thing for music sucks. When I turn off the rear channels it seems the performance improves. Never liked hearing instruments come from behind me.
      Am I alone on this? Any opinions?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Bring back '3" channel recordings.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »
IMO it's not the standard that sucks (but certainly has some issues), it's the engineers not knowing how to mic it properly and how to mix it properly.  The same thing happens with surround when you're watching a hockey game on TV.  It's almost enough to make me ill.  I watch TV in stereo only any more until they stop trying to play games and figure out what they're doing.

The center channel can definitely add a lot if done properly.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Bring back '3" channel recordings.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 01:34:11 PM »
Miles Davis'  "Kind of Blue" is 3 channel, not stereo. It is a fine example of the technique, but leaves a lot to be desired even from the less accurately recorded stereo albums to come soon after.

For modern surround recordings, the surround channels should be used to make the listener feel more immersed in the performance, usually this means adding ambience and audience noise, not instruments. Sitting in the middle of the band is exciting for what it is, but you do miss a lot. A bad surround mix is confusing and unnatural, calling attention to the recording and away from the message of the music.

Ever seen this rollo? I would love to try it.
Trinaural Processor

Rich