Author Topic: Eliminating Static Electricity  (Read 3789 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Eliminating Static Electricity
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »
  The Professor strikes again. You all need the Furutech Destat 2 to eliminate that static build up. Got one and very impressed with results.
   I'm using a ground wire with a washer on it connected to ground at duplex outlet to ground myself beore I touch a thingie. Well worth the effort. Digital hates static.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »
I will admit to having done this but it is dangerous, you should just touch the grounded metal, then the device and not both... but they do make ESD wristbands that limit the rate of discharge to ground.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Static-Wrist-Grounding-SWS100/dp/B0002QKMEG

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Anti-Static-Wrist-Adjustable-Grounding/dp/B00004Z5D1/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Z2EG4M66S838A5CNBJR

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
An alternative to what Dave suggested would be these.

http://www.amazon.com/Anti-static-Anti-skid-Gloves-Computer-Working/dp/B005EOGXTE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394731610&sr=8-5&keywords=antistatic+gloves

Then when your wife sees you walking around and fiddling with your stereo gear you can answer nothing but white glove service for my stuff.  :)

Due to my stereo systems residing in cold dry rooms during the fall and winter I will try to touch something metallic to discharge the Static Electricity before messing with anything. I often forget to put on the anti-static gloves, or strap when tweaking gear. One time I shocked myself and saw a Anti stat gun in the distance. Thinking why didn't I just use that thing first. stupidity on my part.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
   Good stuff Guys. Yes if using the ground washer thing only touch the washer to ground yourself then OK to touch gear.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
I just keep an open box of fabric softener sheets on the rack. One quick touch and I never shock the gear, while I used to nuke it all the time, disabling sound for several nervous seconds.

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
a dryer sheet on every shelf :thumb: :thumb:
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
I just ran a thin wire from a close ground point (baseboard heater) to a brass screw I attached to the top shelf of my rack. I just touch it and discharge in the wintertime before I touch anything else.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
My Monster Cable power center has a metal plate on the from just for this purpose. It looks decorative but it is actually connected to ground for the purpose of draining ESDs before touching anything else in the system
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »
Some very interesting ideas re static. I have metal on my cabinet and always touch it before I do anything. It's a problem for me year pretty much year round in the high desert where I live.
I don't think my wife will listen to me or change her MO. When she wants to dust, she does. The solution, and it pains me to say it, is to dust the stereo equipment before she does. :roll:
And thanks again, Rich.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
Re: Eliminating Static Electricity
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
Some very interesting ideas re static. I have metal on my cabinet and always touch it before I do anything. It's a problem for me year pretty much year round in the high desert where I live.
I don't think my wife will listen to me or change her MO. When she wants to dust, she does. The solution, and it pains me to say it, is to dust the stereo equipment before she does. :roll:
And thanks again, Rich.

Hey Nick tell your Wife the CDP is toast due to dusting and you need to by another. Stopped mine in her tracks.
   BTW there is a cleaning product called Kleenmaster made by Brillianize that stops static build up and cleans to a brilliant shine. Extremely affective.
   www.BRILLIANIZE.com

charles