Author Topic: WCPE - The Classical Station  (Read 2439 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
WCPE - The Classical Station
« on: November 11, 2007, 03:37:49 PM »
This is a great classical station. Named after CPE Bach, most famous son of JS Bach, They play mostly "top 40" kind of stuff in the daytime to keep dentist offices calm, but at 9pm some more adventurous stuff can be heard, including very many complete symphonies, concertos, quartets, so you can really get into a piece and hear the whole thing, not just the finale. They seem to really care about the music. Sunday nights has a show called "Preview" where they play only brand new recordings, which are usually fine recordings of current performers. It is their best show, worth checking out. Choral church music on Sundays is pretty cool too, for organs and big choirs.

They have replays of live concerts from NC Symphony and Cleveland Symphony on first Monday of the month as well as the syndicated "Live from the Met" opera show on Sunday afternoons, I think?

They stream on the net in a few formats. I have tried the stream on SB, not too bad. No commercials, no whining news anchors at 5pm, just music 24/7. The station director Deborah Proctor is an accomplished radio engineer, and has audio sensibilities and designed some of the transmitter equipment. They are 100kW from Wake Forest NC, 89.7MHz with very wideband FM signal, we estimate 30Hz - 16,500. There is the obigatory compression on the music, but it is not too annoying.  I guarantee once you start listening and find your fav DJ and show, you will listen all the time!

http://theclassicalstation.org