Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027888 times)

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6615 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
Well Jerome, your secret is out! I think you should do one of these for each album you post...

http://www.indierockfan.net/details/51603.html ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

jsaliga

« Reply #6616 on: February 28, 2012, 10:13:53 AM »
Not going to happen.  :D  

My Music Collector database is pretty out of date.  Very little of my vinyl is in there; it's mostly CDs.  With the quantity of music I buy it all just became too much work and I found myself spending more time entering data then I did listening to music.  I haven't added anything to it in at least a year.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6617 on: February 28, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
Just a few words on the way I post in this thread.  I don't know if anyone has noticed but I put original cover scans of just about every single album I post in this thread.  I do that to make it easier to identify the specific release.  For vintage vinyl in particular the stereo and mono covers are a little bit different.  Also, the cover art on a subsequent re-issue can be a little different from the original release.  So I put the jacket on my scanner and upload a JPEG to my website and link AN to it.  It is a lot of work.

As far as info I post about an album goes, I don't usually post the artist, album title, or link to samples and I don't plan to start.  If it is something obscure and not readily identifiable then I will.  If someone is truly interested in something I posted then they can ask me question like Barry did and I will provide an answer.  As for samples, reviews, etc.: you can do your own homework if the information I provided doesn't satisfy your curiosity.  I don't see myself changing the way I post.

It's sort of like me asking people not to quote images when replying to a post.  Most agree that it's a reasonable request but they still do it anyway.  ;)

--Jerome

Congrats on hitting the kilopost milestone!  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6618 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »
I thought anyone who was interested in jazz would know Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong from a picture.  I only include links to samples on stuff that is not particularly well known.

--Jerome

I always include the title and artist in the post, not because I think the cover won't tell the whole story, but rather because I have gotten burnt several times in the past where the link that I used for the cover art pulled down their post causing the graphic to disappear from mine.  In that case without a text reference to the title and artist my post becomes worthless.

Jerome,
I'm not a Jazz Head, and not used to seeing them so young, but now that you've told me it's Ella and Satch, I do recognize them, but still wouldn't be familiar with the album or its title, so wouldn't be able to look into it.

Tom,
I generally use Amazon for my images as I don't think they're going anywhere for some time. On occasion I'll use AllMusic.com as a source. Aslo, every one of my posts contains a link back to Amazon (or AllMusic) so that additional information, opinions and/or samples can be found about the album.

Best, Barry

Barry,
I usually go to Amazon first and those images have not been a problem. But especially with some of the vintage albums, Amazon does not always have images posted with each listing. It is when i use googlwe to searech for images outside of Amazon that I have been running into problems. Thanks for the heads up on AllMusic. I will have to try when out and maybe use them as my first back-up source of images. I have started to post further info fromAmazon, but they do not have reviewer comments or samples connected to every listing. Once again, perhaps AllMusic can fill in some gaps in thsi regard.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the listening I do is experimental in nature, exploring an artist or musical style that I may not have listened to before. In many cases I do not know enough about the music or the artist to come up with any kinds of valueable analysis nor dos the music enspir me to have anything in particlur to say about is on a first listen so I just say nothing.Nort because I don't like it  but just because I just can't thnk of anything to say that would be considered "value added."

Tom
Tom

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6619 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »

Spock's Beard - "Live"...2Cds...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6620 on: February 29, 2012, 02:08:40 PM »

The Mother Hips - "Pacific Dust"

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6621 on: February 29, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »

Lonelady - "Nerve Up"

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6622 on: February 29, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

Ray Davies & Friends - "See My Friends"

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6623 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
Vince Mendoza: Epiphany - w/ London Symphony Orchestra (2002)

Crossover classical jazz w/John Abercrombie, Michael Brecker, Peter Erskine, Marc Johnson, Joe Lovano, John Taylor, and Kenny Wheeler.
Samples

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6624 on: February 29, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6625 on: February 29, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
There has always been a piano at the heart of Irma Thomas's music, and she is accompanied here by twelve of the best pianists around.

Guest pianists include Henry Butler, Dr John, Jon Cleary,Norah Jones, Ellis Marsalis,John Medeski,Marcia Ball and Randy Newman. You will note a heavy New Orleans influence here and it is fantastic as is the production of Scott Billington.

The Grammyฎ-winning Soul Queen of New Orleans has never sounded better than in this all-acoustic setting. From the soul-searing passion of "Cold Rain" to the bittersweet intimacy of "This Bitter Earth," Irma's enduring warmth and soulfulness prevail, never straying far from the blues. Included are many new songs (including one from Burt Bacharach and Steve Krikorian) and a previously unrecorded Doc Pomus-Dr. John composition.

Irma Thomas - "Simply Grand"

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6626 on: February 29, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »
Right "up your alley" Robin....smooth with a groove... 8)

Born and raised in Philadelphia, he however went on to university in Miami where he was discovered by Bob James. Although an excellent jazz man, he has crossed over into the mainstream and has toured with the Rolling Stones and Aretha Franklin amongst others. Andy Snitzer plays the saxophone in a plaintive, emotional tone that literally pulls at the strings of the listener’s heart. He has the pathos of the late, great Michael Brecker, the gutsiness of Ernie Watts, and the uncanny human voice-quality of Wayne Shorter. Among a large group of new tenor saxophone players his voice stands out, and we all look for more great music from him.

Andy Snitzer - "Traveler"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__uBzbzh_gg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=fMtM7sRYDfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZPbTibJg00&feature=related

eleazar

« Reply #6627 on: March 01, 2012, 04:27:28 AM »
RIP Davey Jones

CD

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6628 on: March 01, 2012, 05:34:51 AM »
I agree Chris - very good album. Not quite smooth jazz, since he does display his true jazz leanings, but it is definitely not be-bop or anywhere near frantic. I bet he is very good in concert.

I was listening to this one this morning, don;t remember if I posted it in the past. Some very nice jazz fusion with some very good players. Double CD too.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9