Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026978 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #4080 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »

Just a plain vanilla Prestige reissue that sounds fantastic.  I know I buy a lot of expensive 180g 45RPM pressings, but they aren't really essential to excellent sound.  And to be honest I have been let down by a fair number of expensive audiophile pressings that suffered from problems ranging from pressing defects to bad mastering.  Don't get me wrong, because my experience with buying audiophile pressings has largely been positive, otherwise I wouldn't buy them.  OTOH, I get a great deal of listening satisfaction from inexpensive reissue pressings that cost no more than about ten bucks.

--Jerome

One of my favorite Coltrane albums.  I buy a lot of "audiophile" software as well  and can second your notion that every thing that is pressed onto heavy vinyl is sonic gold.  Some are outstanding, some, not so great. The pressing is the last thing in the production chain and if care was not taken in the earlier steps, putting something onto 180 or 200g vinyl will not fix any prior problems. Unfortunately, I think there are a bunch of marketing types out there who think they can just cash in on the audiophile vinyl revival by making thick records.

And I will take your comment about listening to plain vanilla stock pressings on step further. Because of my work situation I have been doing almost all of my listening via CDs in the car and on a boom box.... and loving it. No it is not the fidelity I am used to in the mancave, but is beats working long shifts in silence and has allowed be to revisit a lot of old "friends that I haven't heard for a while (and discover a bunch of new artists that I picked up in that big haul from the library discard bin.)

It's all about the music.........  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4081 on: August 20, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »
George Benson: Tenderly

CD

Just the opposite of the clean simple sound of the David Benoit CD I posted about earlier this 1989 Benson album is full of Vegas style overproduction. If I want to hear Vegas style music I will listen to Sinatra or Tony Bennet. The 2 straight up jazz quartet cuts and the one that is a Benson guitar solo are all good, but it is just not enough to make up to the overblown production on the rest of the album.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4082 on: August 20, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »

Dukes Of Stratosphear - "Psonic Psunspot"

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4083 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
Bob Dylan: World Gone Wrong

CD

And in some cases the lower resolution of a boombox maight be a blessing....  :lol:

Still good music. The style and performance of this 1993 album reminds me of the Dylan of the 60s. Just Bob, his acoustic guitar and his harmonica.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #4084 on: August 20, 2011, 10:21:16 AM »

RVG remaster series CD.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4085 on: August 20, 2011, 11:16:54 AM »

This CD complies recordings that Lester Young did for Commodore in the late 1930s.  The title is something of a misnomer since the tracks were actually laid down in New York.  KC is a really a reference to the musicians sitting in since many of them came from the ranks of the Count Basie orchestra.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4086 on: August 20, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »

Japanese import on CD in mini-LP replica sleeve.  Leo Parker had a big fat tone on tenor sax and he's very much worth checking out.  I'd love to see a 45RPM 180g vinyl reissue of this title.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4087 on: August 20, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
Arhoolie Records 40th Anniversary Collection: The Journey Of Chris Strachwitz 1960-2000

5 CD Set

I found this set at the library discard sale. I had no idea what it was but at 50 cents for a 5 CD set I figured, "What the heck!"  It looked like some kind of blues collection, but I had never heard of Arhoolie records so when I got home I looked up the collection on Amazon and found the following editorial review:

"Superbly packaged and lovingly annotated, the five-disc Arhoolie Records 40th Anniversary Collection distills four decades of musical passion into six hours of highlights. The passion is that of Arhoolie founder Chris Strachwitz, a German immigrant and former California schoolteacher whose label reflects a devotion to American roots music at its most vital and varied. Southern bluesmen Mance Lipscomb and Fred McDowell, Louisiana zydeco kingpin Clifton Chenier, and Tex-Mex conjunto accordionist Flaco Jimenez are just a few of the regional mainstays to achieve national renown through Arhoolie, and all of them are represented here.
The spirited diversity of the 105 selections (including 13 available on CD for the first time) finds the label extending its reach from string-band country (Hackberry Ramblers) to hard-driving jazz (Jerry Hahn Quintet) to New Orleans brass bands to more recent forays into "sacred steel," featuring gospel music with pedal-steel guitar. Where so many folk preservations might as well be embalming musical relics, Arhoolie champions "vernacular music": music that retains a strong, integral connection to its community and gets people clapping, stomping, and dancing. Throughout the set, the immediacy of the performances transcends trendiness or timeliness, showing how America sounds beyond the plasticity of popular culture."

This is not the kind of slick production music we get out of the major record labels, but rather real people playing real music not for the money, but just for the joy of doing it. It will take me a while to get trough all 5 CD, but what I have listened to so far has a real “organic” feel to it that really grows on you. There is just something infectious out music played by someone who plays just because they have a passion for what they are doing.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4088 on: August 20, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »
No libraries like that around here....  sigh...

Chet Baker and Paul Desmond playing Concierto D'Aranjuez - awesome!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4089 on: August 20, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
No libraries like that around here....  sigh...

Sorry to hear that Rich....but feel free to try a search.... :thumb:

https://alisweb.org/search

Let's try Jim Hall.... 8)

https://alisweb.org/search/a?searchtype=Y&searcharg=jim+hall&SORT=D&searchscope=60&submit.x=11&submit.y=10

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4090 on: August 21, 2011, 04:21:56 AM »
Hey Chris, ALIS came through for me on the Tangerine Dream and Dee Dee Bridgewater albums you post recently.  Both really CDs. Thanks for the heads up.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4091 on: August 21, 2011, 04:44:03 AM »
Sorry to hear that Rich....but feel free to try a search.... :thumb:

Thanks Chris... ALIS looks great, but still a long drive. Lets try Wake County Public Library:

http://wakeipac.co.wake.nc.us/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=1313JLX133118.5676&menu=search&aspect=subtab24&npp=30&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=wcpl&ri=1&source=~%21horizon&index=.A2&term=jim+hall&x=0&y=0&aspect=subtab24

Now that's a familiar sight!  :x  
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:45:49 AM by richidoo »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4092 on: August 21, 2011, 06:42:24 AM »
I've been listening to these 4 season based collections from the 32 Jazz label in the car on the way back and forth to work over the past few days. Like all of trhe other 32 Jazz CDs I have picked up recently they feature great music and excellent SQ. And although I have been listening in the car, the SQ holds up in the main system as well (which is not always the case.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4093 on: August 21, 2011, 06:47:21 AM »
Ray Charles: Ultimate Hits Collection

2 CD Set

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #4094 on: August 21, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »

Halleluiah!  These Johnny Griffin Blue Note reissues have been on the Music Matters release calendar for over a year and they're finally here.  This 180g 45RPM vinyl set sounds fantastic.

--Jerome