Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026762 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #3705 on: July 07, 2011, 08:02:47 AM »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

jsaliga

« Reply #3706 on: July 07, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
But of course.  8)

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #3707 on: July 07, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »

This late 1960s record on the London label issues all of the Zombies hits that were recorded by Decca in the mid 1960s.  So songs like She's Not There and Tell Her No are here, and they sound great.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3708 on: July 07, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
But of course.  8)

--Jerome

Have you had a chance to compare the SQ on the vinyl vs the CD releases. I thought the Love CD was very good and have hesitated on getting the vinyl because I think the whole album flows really nicely I had a hunch that getting up to flip the records would break that flow.

Of course then nervosa sneaks in and says to me if the CD sounds good, how great must the LP be?  :roll:

Can you add any thoughts?

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3709 on: July 07, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
I second that question.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #3710 on: July 07, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express ~ Looking In The Eye Of The World

CD

jsaliga

« Reply #3711 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »
Have you had a chance to compare the SQ on the vinyl vs the CD releases.

I second that question.

I wish I could offer you guys some insight, but I don't own the CD.  I only recently bought the vinyl, and all I can say is that I was very impressed by the sound (speaking as a beatlemaniac I doubt that this has any special significance).

I am trying very hard to get away from double dipping.  Sometimes it's a struggle just to find time to listen to records.  The last thing I need is both a record and a CD of the same music that I don't have time to enjoy.

There are very few releases where I would buy music issued on CD first and then again on vinyl later because it did not come out day and date with the CD.  This might be one of those releases.

I know if they ever get around to reissuing the Beatles remasters on vinyl I am in so fast it will make your head spin.  Who cares that I bought both the stereo and mono boxed sets on CD.  This is the Beatles.  AND THIS IS THE BEATLES ON VINYL!! for cryin' out loud.  :rofl:

--Jerome
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:20:36 PM by jsaliga »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3712 on: July 07, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »
AJA
Steely Dan | Format: Vinyl
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3713 on: July 07, 2011, 07:50:49 PM »
Hey Jerome, I have LOVE on CD and DVD-A, I'll send it to you if you want to cross listen.

Gene

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3714 on: July 07, 2011, 07:54:13 PM »
Glenn Gould - Bach Partitas

jsaliga

« Reply #3715 on: July 08, 2011, 06:02:25 AM »
Hey Jerome, I have LOVE on CD and DVD-A, I'll send it to you if you want to cross listen.

Gene

Sure.  I'll drop you a PM.

--Jerome

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3716 on: July 08, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3717 on: July 08, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
I am trying very hard to get away from double dipping.  Sometimes it's a struggle just to find time to listen to records.  The last thing I need is both a record and a CD of the same music that I don't have time to enjoy.

I agree for the most part but this is one of my favorite car discs so I would want to have the CD for that even if I did have a vinyl copy.

I know if they ever get around to reissuing the Beatles remasters on vinyl I am in so fast it will make your head spin.  Who cares that I bought both the stereo and mono boxed sets on CD.  This is the Beatles.  AND THIS IS THE BEATLES ON VINYL!! for cryin' out loud.  :rofl:

And if they do you had better be looking over your shoulder because I'll be trying to climb over the top of people to get to the front of the line.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #3718 on: July 09, 2011, 08:55:57 AM »

It's the first lady of song. Nothing more need be said.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #3719 on: July 09, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »

This OOP boxed set collects all of the recordings that Lester Young made for Verve on 8 CDs.  It's a real shame that Young seems to have fallen off the playlists of a lot of jazz fans.  He just isn't talked about as much as Charlie Parker or John Coltrane, and I think he was more important to jazz than either.  Some folks feel that I give Young too much credit.  But when I listen to the late 1930s stuff with Basie and the recordings he did for Aladdin and Savoy I think a lot of that work predicted bop.  Parker himself said that Young was a huge influence on him.  Paul Quinichette was refered to as the Vice Prez because his playing recalled the style of Young.  I can't think of a single tenor player in the 1950s and 60s who wasn't deeply influenced by him.  I think when the term Jazz Giant was coined it was with Lester Young in mind.  This set on Verve, the Complete Lester Young Aladdin Recordings (on Blue Note), and the Complete Lester Young Savoy Recordings are essential jazz listening.

--Jerome