Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027952 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #3405 on: June 11, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
J.S. Bach: Solo & Double Violin Concertos: Andrew Manze, Rachel Podger/The Academy of Ancient Music

CD
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3406 on: June 11, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »
Debussy: La Mer/Ravel:Mother Goose - Ansermet, L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

LP

Original London British Import pressing

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3407 on: June 11, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »
Dream Dancing with the Lars Erstrand Quartet

CD

Swedish import from Opus 3

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3408 on: June 11, 2011, 11:54:41 PM »
Elvis Costello: Extreme Honey: The Best Of The Warner Bros. Years

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #3409 on: June 12, 2011, 05:14:20 AM »
I saw the same $100 price on Chad's web site and was absolutely shocked.  (I'm embarassed to tell you what I paid for mine. It was the end of the day at a very lightly attended show  and the guy was just about giving stuff away so he didn't have to pack it out to his car in the pouring rain. I of course was only too happy to help him out.  :thumb:

It's the nature of the beast Tom.  No matter how good a deal someone thinks they got on a record there's bound to be someone else who got the same thing for much less.  I have no regrets.  The Sinatra MFSL set wasn't really a priority for me since I already own original minty pressings of all of Sinatra's Capitol records LPs (it took me a lot of years to get truely minty copies of Songs for Swingin' Lovers, Only the Loney, and Were Are You?)  This was really a purchase of opportunity for me, and seeing that this set was selling for between $750 and $1,000 at the time I felt that $300 was a pretty good deal.

--Jerome
Keep in mind that I got my copy back in the late 80s when tons of people were bailing out of vinyl and dealers were starting to dump their inventory while you got yours later on then folks were staring to get back into vinyl and these high quality records were starting to be looked at as collectables and priced accordingly. I think we both got good deals given the time frames that we each were shopping in.  :thumb:

That is certainly true enough.  Most of the really great deals I got I wasn't particularly looking for.  I might be at a yard sale and unexpectedly find something especially interesting and rare.  I might not shop expressly for that record at a dealer because of inflated prices but would jump at the chance to buy it cheap.  You have to settle for market prices if you want it now and it is something of a collectible.

My general attitude towards folks who landed something for cheap that I paid a hefty price for is that it's all good.  We both got a copy.  The fact that someone else may have scored theirs for much less than I paid doesn't diminish the value it has to me.  If I didn't feel the record was worth it then I wouldn't have forked over the cash for it in the first place.  I could spend the rest of my life trying to find the same insane deal someone else had and never get it.  If I really want a record and it's important to me, then I would rather pay the money and enjoy it now.  I still buy records mostly to listen to, rather than just to have.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:36:58 AM by jsaliga »

eleazar

« Reply #3410 on: June 12, 2011, 07:09:57 AM »
Dar Williams – My Better Self

CD

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3411 on: June 12, 2011, 07:47:41 AM »
I saw the same $100 price on Chad's web site and was absolutely shocked.  (I'm embarassed to tell you what I paid for mine. It was the end of the day at a very lightly attended show  and the guy was just about giving stuff away so he didn't have to pack it out to his car in the pouring rain. I of course was only too happy to help him out.  :thumb:

It's the nature of the beast Tom.  No matter how good a deal someone thinks they got on a record there's bound to be someone else who got the same thing for much less.  I have no regrets.  The Sinatra MFSL set wasn't really a priority for me since I already own original minty pressings of all of Sinatra's Capitol records LPs (it took me a lot of years to get truely minty copies of Songs for Swingin' Lovers, Only the Loney, and Were Are You?)  This was really a purchase of opportunity for me, and seeing that this set was selling for between $750 and $1,000 at the time I felt that $300 was a pretty good deal.

--Jerome
Keep in mind that I got my copy back in the late 80s when tons of people were bailing out of vinyl and dealers were starting to dump their inventory while you got yours later on then folks were staring to get back into vinyl and these high quality records were starting to be looked at as collectables and priced accordingly. I think we both got good deals given the time frames that we each were shopping in.  :thumb:

That is certainly true enough.  Most of the really great deals I got I wasn't particularly looking for.  I might be at a yard sale and unexpectedly find something especially interesting and rare.  I might not shop expressly for that record at a dealer because of inflated prices but would jump at the chance to buy it cheap.  You have to settle for market prices if you want it now and it is something of a collectible.

My general attitude towards folks who landed something for cheap that I paid a hefty price for is that it's all good.  We both got a copy.  The fact that someone else may have scored theirs for much less than I paid doesn't diminish the value it has to me.  If I didn't feel the record was worth it then I wouldn't have forked over the cash for it in the first place.  I could spend the rest of my life trying to find the same insane deal someone else had and never get it.  If I really want a record and it's important to me, then I would rather pay the money and enjoy it now.  I still buy records mostly to listen to, rather than just to have.

--Jerome

Well put, I couldn't agree more.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3412 on: June 12, 2011, 08:59:23 AM »
Red Garland Quintets: Prestige Profiles
Red Garland | Format: flac

Something quiet while I deal with the squash I seem to have this morning from just 2 glasses of wine and half a cigar last night. Time for Excedrin - getting old is a bitch.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #3413 on: June 12, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Oscar Peterson – Motions And Emotions

LP

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3414 on: June 12, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »

The Jersey Barrier- Steady Pace in the Slow Lane

Another from the haul of surplus promotional CDs at WUSC-FM. Quiet and introspective, yet melodic and engaging.  Intimate folk-rock, featuring male and female lead vocalists who sing together and apart, in no hurry to get to their destination, just enjoying the ride.  My wife says it is "sad" music. Worth checking out.

Listen to the album on your PC: http://thejerseybarrier.bandcamp.com/album/steady-pace-in-the-slow-lane

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3415 on: June 12, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
.....getting old is a bitch.

Hey, it still beats the alternative.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3416 on: June 12, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
Hey, it still beats the alternative.  :roll:

Tru dat!

Well after a long afternoon of futzing with the upgrade of my video driver of my htpc, time to relax.

Mozart: Symphonies No.25, No.28 & No.29
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Composer), Charles Mackerras (Conductor), Prague Chamber Orchestra (Orchestra) | Format: flac
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #3417 on: June 12, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »

Very clean for a buck

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3418 on: June 12, 2011, 03:59:04 PM »
Damn, it's worth a buck for the cover alone! :yay2:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3419 on: June 12, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
Back to where I belong, Kenny Dorham on vinyl