Author Topic: Headphone Amp and/or DAC recommendations for new owner of Sennheiser HD 598's  (Read 16915 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
I apologize if this topic has been covered before (this is my first thread posted in DAD about this) but I have absolutely no experience with headphones/headphone amps/DAC's etc...  My current pre-amp in my home stereo system does NOT have a headphone jack.  I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's and would like recommendations for a compatible headphone amp to go with them.  I'd also like to know if I could just buy an outboard DAC with a volume control and run my CD player directly through that to drive these phones without a headphone amp at all!?!?

The specs on the HD 598's are as follows:

Technical Data
Frequency response (headphones)   12-38,500 Hz
Wearing style   Around-the-ear
Impedance   50 ohms
Connector   1/4 inch (6.3mm)
Cable length   10 ft, detachable (single sided)
Transducer principle   Open-Aire
Total harmonic distortion   <0.1%
Weight (w/o cable)   9.52 ounces (225 g)
Total SPL   112 dB
(*)   ---------------
UPC code   615104187733
EAN code   4044155056082
Dimensions (single)   8.07 x 3.94 x 9.45 in
Weight (single)   1.42 lbs
Dimensions (master carton)   16.81 x 13.66 x 10.51 in

So far, the D1 from Maverick Audio looks like a worthwhile route to take.  It seems to have a lot of versatility and it fits my budget.

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_d1

My budget is $300.00 max, but would like to keep it less than that.  Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
I would suggest going over and hanging out at www.head-fi.org and see what the "experts" recommend for your headphones.

Check out the trading forum too. There's usually lots of incredible stuff for sale over there.

Good luck.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Hi

For those Sennheiser headphones the Maverick Audio D1 is a good combo to me. I have a similar headphone amp. The Grant Fidelity DAC-09 is the one I've got and it has an upgraded WE tube. It drives the Sennheiser HD 580s and AKG K701s I have with great ease and to me the sound is very pleasing.

If you can get the Schiit Audio Valhalla headphone amp for $300 that is a good amp to pair with Sennheiser or AKG headphones IMO. That amp though does run hot. After a couple of hours of listening even the volume control was really warm.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
Hi

For those Sennheiser headphones the Maverick Audio D1 is a good combo to me. I have a similar headphone amp. The Grant Fidelity DAC-09 is the one I've got and it has an upgraded WE tube. It drives the Sennheiser HD 580s and AKG K701s I have with great ease and to me the sound is very pleasing.

If you can get the Schiit Audio Valhalla headphone amp for $300 that is a good amp to pair with Sennheiser or AKG headphones IMO. That amp though does run hot. After a couple of hours of listening even the volume control was really warm.

Believe it or not, I asked Customer Service at Schiit about the Valhalla and they said it's NOT a good match to my 598's.:shock:  FWIW - they said the Asgard would be better. Who woulda thunk it!?! :roll:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

djdube525

This may be an ignorant question but... do you really need an amp? Those Sens are pretty low impedance...

What are your goals? SQ? Portability? USB?

The Fiio e10 is not a bad amp/dac combo that's very reasonably priced.

Dave

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
This may be an ignorant question but... do you really need an amp? Those Sens are pretty low impedance...

What are your goals? SQ? Portability? USB?

The Fiio e10 is not a bad amp/dac combo that's very reasonably priced.

Dave

Dave

Not a bad question at all.  As I am gathering information, I am realizing that the last part of my original post re: just using a DAC w/a volume control (instead of needing a headphone amp) is a very feasible alternative.

In answer to what you asked me as far as my goals here... my system has NO headphone jack at all :shock: so I need a way to do so.  Even though I wasn't sure if I could do it at the beginning of this thread, I think going the DAC w/a volume control route makes the most sense because like you said, my 598's really don't need much to drive them.  A headphone DAC will give me better sound quality, a separate volume control for my private listening and most of all a place to connect my headphones in the first place! :duh

BTW - Portability isn't a need for me.

That's why the Maverick D1 seemed to be such a good choice.  It's giving me more than I need right now in capabilities (I only plan on running my CD player and/or my TT through it) and yet it will allow me to expand to USB input when (if?) I choose to go that direction in the future.  It's regarded very highly in a lot of reviews, the price @ $200.00 is hard to beat and it's a headphone amp too!!! :thumb:

I just wanted some alternate ideas from the forum crowd before I bought anything.

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
I've been wrestling with the same question.  I've got Senn HD-600s but have rarely listened because the only amp I have is an old Headroom Supreme and, well, it just doesn't sound all that good.

The Schiit Asgard seems appealing from price and performance and I would like to hear it, but the extreme heat is a concern.

A stopgap approach that I just got is a small portable headphone amp that has received a good bit of praise on Head-Fi.Org.   It's called a PA2V2 built by Gary at electric-avenues.com.  He also sells on ebay.com.  Price is right ($70 from Gary directly or possibly less via ebay auction). 

It is an amazing little headphone amp that is perfect for portable applications.  It runs on rechargeable batteries that last for days, yet is easily recharged via a USB cable (provided).  I've only had it for a couple days now but I'm quite impressed with it.  Does it compete in the big rig - hmmm, haven't really gone there yet but I'll bet not -- but it is a good bit better than my old Headroom Supreme and I love how portable it is.  Nice!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
Grrrr!!! :evil: 

Just to be sure, I e-mailed customer service at Maverick Audio regarding the D1 headphone amp/pre/DAC to be sure it can do what I want it to do.  (My specific question was whether the headphone amp output ran through the tube in the unit.)

Maverick Audio Response:
"The headphone output on the D1 is solid state only, there is just not enough
room for putting a tube driven headphone amp section. The tube only powers the
tube pre-out."

Now what...??? :duh

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

djdube525

Sounds like a tube output for the headphone is a must... on a dac at that price range may be hard to find within a headphone amp at that price range.

Curious to hear if you find something. If you'd consider just a tube amp, I'd take a peak at Little Dot. Many reviewers stating the Little Dot I+ having good synergy with low impedance headphones.

They have a number of other "higher" priced tube models as well.

Little Dot I+

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
WOW!  Thanks, Bob! :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

djdube525

I think all of the ones in those threads are solid state... if that's acceptable, then you have lots of options. However, I thought that's why you discounted the Maverick.

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
Hi Bill,
If you want to try my Channel islands VHP2 and VAC1, I'll let you listen to them.
 If you like them, it would be in your price range. If not just ship them back, no problem.

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
I think all of the ones in those threads are solid state... if that's acceptable, then you have lots of options. However, I thought that's why you discounted the Maverick.

I haven't explored any of Bob's recommendations yet.  And yes, you're right - that is why I discounted the Maverick.  Maybe having a tube in the headphone circuit output isn't as important to good sound as I think...??? :?

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Bill - just jump on this one. Within your budget and it is an awesome little tubed head amp for Sennheisers. The tubes even have LED's under them so they glow Blue - oooooh.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/597257/millett-hybrid-minimax
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.