Author Topic: The next step in computer audio  (Read 7734 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
The next step in computer audio
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:08:06 PM »
I am using a Burson 160 DAC (Headphone/Pre) and a laptop for hi-rez files. I am also using generic USB (provided by Burson). Although I am currently playing 24/96 files I am told the Burson will go as high as 176. What is the next step I should take to ensure I am getting the most from my set up to eventually take advantage of even higher rez files (as well as the current 24/96). Better USB cable? USB/SPDIF adapter? (BTW I am using JRMC)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: The next step in computer audio
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »
According to the Burson website your USB connection is good to 24/96 only. A higher sample rate file won't make it through USB interface. I would look at an after market USB cable as a possible upgrade and use dB Power Amp to securely rip your CDs to wave files,assuming you play back 16/44 files.
 If you rip CDs be sure to limit the drive speed to 10x,this can be done by going into the dB Power Amp CD ripping options menu and clicking on the secure settings and selecting the drive speed. You also want to use a DVD or Blu-Ray drive that has C2 error correction.
Scotty

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 05:47:10 AM »
According to the Burson website your USB connection is good to 24/96 only. A higher sample rate file won't make it through USB interface. I would look at an after market USB cable as a possible upgrade and use dB Power Amp to securely rip your CDs to wave files,assuming you play back 16/44 files.
 If you rip CDs be sure to limit the drive speed to 10x,this can be done by going into the dB Power Amp CD ripping options menu and clicking on the secure settings and selecting the drive speed. You also want to use a DVD or Blu-Ray drive that has C2 error correction.
Scotty

Why 10x?

I have always found that there was a sonic benefit to ripping as the slowest speed possible and am now ripping things at 4x. Although I must confess that I don't think I ever made a direct comparison of the slower speeds. I just knew that the 24x sounded better than the 48X and the 12x better than 24x. At the time I did this 12x was the slowest the drive I had at the time would go. I subsequently got a drive that went down to 4X and just started ripping at they speed under the mindset that slower was better.

Is there something special about the 10x speed and am I wasting my time going any slower than that?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »
Here's an area where I scratch my head.  If I get a bit-perfect rip, why would the speed of the rip (or for that matter, the software used to rip) have any impact on replay sonics?    I've read numerous claims that it does, but bits are bits and if I'm confident that I get a perfect rip (as measured by accuraterip), how can it matter? 

FWIW, I'm not stirring trouble, just trying to understand if/how other factors during the rip could play into this.  I certainly understand how you might not get a perfect rip with an inferior set of tools or hardware.  For example, I love MediaMonkey for managing my music files and tags, but prefer EAC for ripping because it does a far more thorough job ensuring perfect rips.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:31:17 AM »
OK so the Burson handles 24/192 via rca. So that means I would need a M2 Hiface/Stello U3 etc.

I wonder if going the SPDIF route sounds better than USB..... :roll:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:09:54 AM »
The 10X speed was chosen somewhat arbitrarily based on the performance of my two DVD drives.
I can let them try to rip at maximum and I might get away with it a few times but there will be other times when the rip fails and the drive has re-rip about a million frames. This happens far less often when I set the drive speed to 10X. The program usually starts off at slightly faster than 4X and if the rip is going to happen it speeds up to about 10X by the end of the CD.
 As far as the choice of ripping program is concerned, even though bits is supposed to be bits it has been consistently reported that more detail and information seems to be extracted by dB Power Amp
then by other ripping programs. What is weird that Absolute Sound also considers dB Power Amp to be the best of the ripping programs as reported in their latest issue, go figure. I hear a small improvement in the sound between EAC and dB Power Amp but the biggest reason I use it is the Meta Data is more accurate and is automatically retrieved without me having to manually manage it.
 The bits is bits thing should also apply to the playback program and yet they all sound different when they should be suppling a bit perfect PCM data stream to the DAC. So far the best sound I have managed to get has come from using an ASUS eeePC netbook running LINUX. I playback my wave files from USB flash drives and use the Rhythmbox program that comes with eeBuntu Linux to playback the files.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
I am using a Burson 160 DAC (Headphone/Pre) and a laptop for hi-rez files. I am also using generic USB (provided by Burson). Although I am currently playing 24/96 files I am told the Burson will go as high as 176. What is the next step I should take to ensure I am getting the most from my set up to eventually take advantage of even higher rez files (as well as the current 24/96). Better USB cable? USB/SPDIF adapter? (BTW I am using JRMC)

JRMC has a memory buffer function, so it will optionally stream from PC memory if you enable that feature. Memory streaming supposedly sounds better than disk streaming. Let us know if you find something good there.

Newer DACs have USB receiver chips that can handle the 24/192 high res files, and maybe a better analog output amp too.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
Update Rich: The Burson does 192 on rca coax. Do you know if transferring 24/96 is it better with usb or rca?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:05:08 AM »
You have to try each Jim, as it really depends on the ICs and circuit design that are used in the DAC and the digital source, so it could be either one. For SPDIF, the hiFace you mentioned is excellent.

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »
FWIW, a friend brought one of the Burson dac/headphone amp boxes over and while it sounded good via USB we both thought it was better when feed from one of John Kenny's battery mod hiFace converters.

mike

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:27:37 AM »
FWIW, a friend brought one of the Burson dac/headphone amp boxes over and while it sounded good via USB we both thought it was better when feed from one of John Kenny's battery mod hiFace converters.

mike

OK, time to save up. That seems to be unanimous that the JKeny is very good. However, Musical Fidelity just came out with a V Link 192 that is less than the JKeny. I'll have to wait to see reviews. In any event, there is not much 192 music out there......yet  8)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
Here's some, if you like classical:
http://2l.no/hires/index.html

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 05:40:37 PM »
Thanks for that, Rich!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:32:51 PM »
Thanks. If you compare the amount of 96 vs 192 though.... :shock: