Author Topic: Mac Mini/Tranquility DAC  (Read 20718 times)

Bigfish8

Re: Mac Mini/Tranquility DAC
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »
Ken,

Did you try the modded SB3 route or went straight to the ModWright Transporter? If you tried the SB3, how was it modified and what differences did you notice when you upgraded to the Transporter?

I had a SB3 with analog mods performed by Bolder Cable Co. along with an Elpac Power Supply that had been modded by Bolder.  The SB3 fed into a Burson Buffer to a preamp to the amps.  The preamp at the time was an Odyssey Candela which used 12AU7 Tubes.  I also was using SP Technology Timepiece 2.1 Monitor Speakers.  While it was in the beginning stages of my audiophile phobia this system did not fit my needs for being musical.  I would use the words dry sounding, sterile, lacked emotion and just was not for me.

I kept the SB3 and Burson Buffer for another system and purchased the ModWright Transporter because it was reviewed to be the best streaming digital source on the planet.  The addition of the tube output stage adds the things tubes add to systems -midrange bloom or warmth and I was able to further refine the sound by continually upgrading to different tubes.  Ended up with $600.00 worth of tubes in it when I sold it.  

Now, if you were to ask me if I would have the SB3 analog modded again and or would I purchase a ModWright Transporter again, the answer to both is no.  I would purchase a linear power supply for the SB3, purchase a quality digital cable, purchase a good quality DAC send the signal to a good quality preamp and be happy.  I honestly feel like I chased the rabbit down the wrong hole.  

I set up a ReadyNAS a few years back and have since bumped up the storage to 4TB but have remained tied to my MacPro/iTunes using the AIFF format. My wife finds this convenient for loading her iPod in AAC but I'm wondering if there's a better overall approach sound-wise that remains simple (I'm not computer-savvy). Any impressions or recommendations you can share would be appreciated.

I recommend you experiment with Sbooth and Pure Music software for the Mac to determine if you feel either is superior to ITunes.  I selected Pure Music which offers a 21 day trial over SBooth which is free.

Good luck on your decisions.

Ken
[/url]

Thanks, Bryan
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:40:54 PM by Bigfish8 »

Phil

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »
Thanks for the links, Ken.

This stuff is confusing.  Stuff to rip the software, the database to organize it and maybe play it, other software to improve playback, etc.

Is there a site that summarizes some of these different approaches (type of PC/Apple, preferred operating system, external vs internal drives, ripping software, database and kinds of interfaces, etc.)?

Then there are the different approaches:  Bryston's usb drive thingie (in development) that feeds a DAC, the Olive (which seems to be an all-in-one approach), the Sooloos ( :drool: ).   

All in all, it seems to me that the interface is really important, especially if others (like my wife) can learn how to simply play a disc.  I had the SB3 for one week a while back and something simple like the slow response of the controller (when the whole thing wasn't on holiday) was too frustrating.  Who wants to work at finding and playing a disc?

Phil

Bigfish8

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 04:07:36 AM »
Thanks for the links, Ken.

This stuff is confusing.  Stuff to rip the software, the database to organize it and maybe play it, other software to improve playback, etc.

Is there a site that summarizes some of these different approaches (type of PC/Apple, preferred operating system, external vs internal drives, ripping software, database and kinds of interfaces, etc.)?

Then there are the different approaches:  Bryston's usb drive thingie (in development) that feeds a DAC, the Olive (which seems to be an all-in-one approach), the Sooloos ( :drool: ).   

All in all, it seems to me that the interface is really important, especially if others (like my wife) can learn how to simply play a disc.  I had the SB3 for one week a while back and something simple like the slow response of the controller (when the whole thing wasn't on holiday) was too frustrating.  Who wants to work at finding and playing a disc?

Phil

Phil:

Yes, it is confusing and there are lots of choices.  The most important question for yourself, do you want to take the plunge for the convenience of being able to quickly access any piece of your music and to have the ability to create playlists?  Once I learned the convenience of streaming music with the Squeezebox I was hooked.  Every move I have made since the initial Squeezebox has been to improve the sound quality from my system, to make it more analog sounding.

If you are trying to sort through the various streaming or computer audio choices I am not exactly certain where to send you.  I think I would try Computer Audiophile here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/ 

You might want to PM Richidoo and John Cook of Black Sands about the Sonos System.  I have no personal experience with Sonos but most owners seem to be very happy with the system. 

Regardless of the system you will need to rip your music to an external hard drive.  If there is a possibility you might use a Mac Computer select a hard drive that will accept a Fire Wire Connection as well as USB.  Rip all of your music in .flac as it easily allows storage of album art with the music files.  You can easily convert to a different format down the road if you need to do so.  Regardless of the route you take you will need your music on a hard drive.  Getting it ripped is a slow process but there is no short cut other than paying a service to do it for you.

Others will likely chime in about system choices.  If you decide to go with a computer as a server as I recently did you have to first chose PC or Mac.  I tried to decide what would be required with both computers and felt the Mac with the Tranquility DAC was an easier solution for me.  It has worked out for me as I am very happy with the sound but many prefer using a PC and they may be the way you decide to go. 

Good Luck

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 06:44:19 AM »
Computer audiophile is a nice site, but doesn't have a boiled down recipe that is the best, anymore than stereophile does for building "the best" system.

The drawbacks to Logitech products is the basic architecture of the system, that it runs on script based server software which runs slow and buggy, even 7 years later. It requires a separate computer to run the server software. After Logitech bought Slim Devices I have even less faith in the technology. Beware my fair measure of bias against Logitech after years of trying to work around their junk computer peripherals.

The Sonos, on the other hand is rock solid. It does not require an external computer somewhere to run the server software, it runs in each Sonos player. It is fast, and bug free. Scanning library takes about 5 minutes,  instead of hours on Logitech. You must scan the database in order to make new rips appear in the controller list. Sonos support is vastly superior to Logitech. Problems actually get fixed within an hour, by an intelligent person empowered to help. When you factor in the cost of the computer that other solutions require Sonos is not more expensive.  It can still play computer radio. It can accept analog input and transfer it to any other player on the system at 16/44.1 resolution. I like it!

The downside of Sonos is that it is limited to the vision of the Sonos marketers. It does not run on a powerful computer processor with open source environment, so I can't run any 3rd party plugins or effects as I can with Logitech server, like Inguz room correction / EQ.   The quality of the Sonos electronics is reliable, but otherwise very consumerish. SMD, Wireless networking and SMPS all fit into a very small space. EMI is an issue in there. The analog outputs are not great, Logitech products are better analog outs, but they are still like a consumer CDP.  The only thing of value is the digital output, which must be reclocked to remove jitter. Sonos makes more jitter than Logitech products. Most recent DACs can remove jitter to some degree or another. An old DAC will sound edgy from the high jitter. Empirical Audio puts a word clock input on a Sonos for their Pacecar product to eliminate clocking issues.

Running the player on a computer adds additional benefits. There are many media players available which allow more flexibility than Sonos or SB for choosing tunes to play, building playlists, and accessing the files. Some of them allow proaudio plugins or have their own built in effects. A major benefit to using computer media player is you have the option of buying a high quality, pro-audio sound card to output the digital stream with minimal jitter. Some of those pro audio sound cards have decent analog output too, but an audiophile DAC usually sounds better. A PC has enough power to run digital crossover and other extremely processor intensive filters on the file before streaming it out to multiple channels for active speaker system, at least as powerful as DEQX for less money.  Room correction, EQ, Normalizing volume levels, no limit to the possibilities and plenty of power to run them all without a hint of slowing down.

You can remote control a PC/Mac from your couch with a laptop, or iPhone type device that can act as client to the media server or player on the PC.   There's a lot to learn, but it's fun.

One of my main criteria for my system is that it be very easy for my family to use when I'm not available to help them. Sonos is good for that. It also allows me to control different music in different rooms from same controller, something the PC players can't do. SB and Sonos can be used as whole house music systems.

Besides the convenience of computer transport and internet radio, A perfect rip of the CD is also a benefit compared to playing it live. It removes error codes that the live laser method must rely on to not lose data. Scratched CDs overwhelm the error codes and you get drop outs and skips. Ripper software can eliminate a lot of that. EAC and dbpoweramp are two popular programs for perfect ripping. Neither play the music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »
My 2 cents worth re: Squeezeboxen and Logitech....

When Logitech bought Slimdevices, I think most felt that it was downhill from there.  That didn't happen - at least not right away and at least for awhile it seemed the whole product line got an injection of money and support, albeit some might say more toward commodity products.   But... then things did go south for awhile.  Developer and leadership turnover, major bugs and delays with both hardware and software and a quite frustrated user community.

But, I have to say that has turned around in the last few months.   IMHO, the Touch is an excellent product at its price point and is a true step in the right direction for the product line.  The vision of establishing an open software platform that could run on just about every box out there has proven its worth several times over (despite setbacks along the way).  And the software continues to improve and incorporate tons of music sources.  Is it perfect?  Nope and certainly not meant for those that don't have a modicum of network & computer expertise.  But I've recommended it to a lot of friends that seem quite pleased with it and it's working for me. 

It will be interesting to see how this market sorts itself out over the next year.

Phil

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »
Didn't mean to hijack the thread.  I think I'll start a different thread on computer audio interfaces, since this is the first thing I'd like to understand better and an obvious point of frustration.

Ken,
thanks for the great tips (flac, firewire).  This is the kind of stuff that is truly helpful.  Great link.  This review got me going:  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Weiss-Engineering-DAC202-Review

I personally love the DAC plus preamp functionality.  This one seems to have some truly beneficial features, like being able to match the preamp to the amp's input sensitivity. 

The Sonos is interesting but I'm worried about the jittery output.  Don't think that would work in my system.

I agree with Mike, it will probably take another year or so to see how this all develops.

Phil

Bigfish8

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
Guys:

I received an e-mail yesterday asking me for comments about my Mac Mini/Tranquility DAC System.  I responded as follows and felt it would be appropriate to post the comments here:

I have learned that in the audio hobby what sounds great to one person may not be very good to another.  Prior to the Tranquilty/Mac Mini System I was using a ModWright Transporter with the Black Treasure 6SN7 and 5U4G Mesh Rectifer ($600.00 worth of tubes).  I liked the Transporter but the sound of my current system is better. 

If you love the sound from a good vinyl rig then I would not view the Mac Mini/Tranquility as a replacement.  I think you would find the Tranquility System to satisfy you when you just want to hear music with the convenience of playing anything in your library without being too critical.  I do not believe any digital rig can out perform a high quality vinyl rig but I am very satisfied.  The convenience as well as close to excellent sound quality has won me over.

Jim Rebman and some other folks on AC have gone through a lot of gear and based on their comments they are quite pleased with the Tranquility.  I would add that the Tranquility is not for the masses as it has a purist approach.  You connect a power cable, a USB cable and you have no other options on the DAC.  I personally like that approach but some prefer having options. 

I know that people tend to talk highly about the gear they own and I have been no exception.  However, with the ModWright Transporter I was always experimenting with different tubes, etc to improve the sound.  With the Tranquility I now have no desire to do anything else.  I would not have purchased the linear power supply but I was on the Bolder Demo Tour and after hearing it in my system I had to have it. 

Sorry to be long winded!  I recommend you give Eric Hider of DB Audio Labs a call. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:27 PM »
Nice wrap up, Ken, thanks. Glad you are digging it so much.

DACs are one of the most exciting areas of audio evolution now. New DAC chips, new digital transport and streaming methods, new amplification, jitter reduction. No wonder we seem to compare the newest crop of digital sources at almost every G2G these days.

Bigfish8

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 05:25:26 AM »
Guys:

Just as I was becoming totally settled into audio bliss Eric Hider of DB Audio Labs introduced an SE Version of the Tranquility DAC and is offering a great trade-up deal to existing Tranquility owners.  The new SE Version has an improved power supply and some patent pending technology that is being reported to take the Tranquility DAC up another notch in performance.  A Tranquility on Steroids! :rofl:  I think the fact that the Tranquility DAC is USB only and is not a Hi-Rez DAC has limited its market appeal.  The SE Version does not address other connection options nor does it do Hi-Rez but since I am using a Mac Mini and have little Hi-Rez the Tranquility fits my needs.

I called Eric yesterday (yep) to take advantage of the trade-up offer to learn he is already sold-out of his shipment of Tranquility SEs but stated he expects to be able to ship me a unit around the 18th-20th of the month.  Eric said that his phone had been ringing off the hook since he announced the new SE and mostly to first time buyers.  

The interesting thing for me is that I am very happy with my existing Tranquility but for the price of two high-end tubes I can upgrade so what the hey!  I am certain reviews will start popping up soon but I will keep you guys posted on my experiences.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:49:17 AM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 06:20:54 AM »
Great news Ken!!