Author Topic: IEC or Hard Wired  (Read 3634 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
IEC or Hard Wired
« on: December 29, 2018, 05:16:01 PM »
  So ya find the PC of all times now do ya use the IEC or do ya hard wire that sucker ? OK, why ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: IEC or Hard Wired
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »
Although theoretically the best connector is no connector, the way most of us tend to audition and upgrade our cables I don't think that hard wiring is really a practical option for many of us.

Also hard wiring can be a risky option, in that the only way you can audition a cable is with an IEC plug. Once you cut the IEC off you own it and while hard wiring it can change the sound there is not guarantee that you will like it better once it is hardwired. I don't think there are too many cable manufactures that would honor the 30 day audition refund if you shipped back the cable with the IEC end cut off.  :roll:

Besides, keeping anything in our systems "for all times" would kind of take some of the fun out of this game, wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:52:29 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
I wouldn’t consider it. Gives me no future flexibility......
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »
Besides, keeping anything in our systems "for all times" would kind of take some of the fun out of this game, wouldn't it?

+1 on both posts.  I can't leave well enough alone even for a few days after buying anything. :lol:

That said, I seem to remember at one time AVA amps (and many other good gear) had captive power cords, correct?

Also, I guess if the amp or component was voiced a particular way, I wouldn't bother tinkering with it to try and get better sound. Does anyone here own Shindo equipment? I've seen their cords and they look like they came from a clock radio! But who am I to argue with the designer?

The Sparkler Audio designer (ex-47 Labs and Shigaraki fame) also uses very pedestrian-looking power cords that look like it was appropriated from a flatiron.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:49:19 PM »
IEC for me.  I try too many iterations of cables (testing and voicing”) to hardwire.  I like the act of discovery.

I think hardwired everything is best, but impractical for most real world applications.  Sure does sound good though 8)
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 07:51:31 PM »
I have to tell you, 6that I have owned some very good equipment that came with captive cords, not the least pf which is my Audio Research VT-200 power amp. I have had very good success using a three prong to IEC adapter to turn some TWL power cords into virtual extension cords plugged into the end of the captive cords. Big improvements , even when the pedestrian captive cords were still in between the TWL and the unit. Give it a try. The adapters can be found on Amazon for only $7.99 although if you look around you can probably find some audiophile sites that sell cryoed ones for a higher price.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-NEMA-5-15R-60320-C14-Adapter/dp/B07BLYVDVL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546227834&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=iec+adapter&psc=1
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »

+1 on both posts.  I can't leave well enough alone even for a few days after buying anything. :lol:

That said, I seem to remember at one time AVA amps (and many other good gear) had captive power cords, correct?

Also, I guess if the amp or component was voiced a particular way, I wouldn't bother tinkering with it to try and get better sound. Does anyone here own Shindo equipment? I've seen their cords and they look like they came from a clock radio! But who am I to argue with the designer?

The Sparkler Audio designer (ex-47 Labs and Shigaraki fame) also uses very pedestrian-looking power cords that look like it was appropriated from a flatiron.

The Sparkler site is quite interesting. Lots of attention to detail. Frankly, the first thing I’d do with one of their products is to try different power cords 😀 You mentioned AVA and I was very interested in their products some years ago. But I never bought because of Frank’s aversion to detachable power cords. I believe it was mentioned previously on this site that the better the power supply design, the less need for the use of after market power cords
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
You mentioned AVA and I was very interested in their products some years ago. But I never bought because of Frank’s aversion to detachable power cords.
:lol:

I was also considering their products some years ago but held off for this very reason!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
  I own the infamous Chinese made Pc that stirred it up years ago. The clear plug one. great cord beat out lots of aftermarket cords. Great tonality, harmonics, open stage and detail. Great for the money. which dictates many cable solutions. Price is a huge factor in buying cables. Yes some crazy pricing out there but worth it to many as well.
  Saying that there are better cords out there. I have found that the same characteristics of Chinese cord and more come when you find the right aftermarket cord. I love TWL HO and Swiss Cable Diamond. Two different price points and different presentations.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.