Author Topic: Well, I guess I am confused as to why...  (Read 16408 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Well, I guess I am confused as to why...
« on: April 23, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »
There is so little traffic in this corner of the digital domain here?

Is there this little interest in exquisite SQ available from a computer / DAC combo or is everyone simply into the convenience aspect of digital audio?

Please, enlighten me.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Well, I guess I am confused as to why...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 03:10:57 AM »
Dave,
I find it difficult to describe the sound of nothing, what is basically left of the noise floor from the music server that is connected to my DigiBUSS.  Same goes for the system plugged into the UberBUSS. 

It uncovers the low level signals and gets rid of any hash from the SMPS for the computer and display that would be on the USB line to the DAC.  Good stuff.

Looking forward to the BlunderBUSS for the new speaker amps!  :)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
Dave,
I find it difficult to describe the sound of nothing, what is basically left of the noise floor from the music server that is connected to my DigiBUSS.  Same goes for the system plugged into the UberBUSS. 

It uncovers the low level signals and gets rid of any hash from the SMPS for the computer and display that would be on the USB line to the DAC.  Good stuff.

Thanks, Rich. 

I guess where I was going with my thoughts is that AN seems like a great place to have a really good discussion by people that are nice and play well with others.  It is such a breath of fresh air coming over here.  None of the "you're stupid" or "you're deaf" crap over here.  I know there are people out there with some strong experiences with digital audio that must have a lot to share.

Curious.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
Ahhh...  Gotcha!

Well for fun about ready to try Moode Audio on the Raspberry Pi 3.  Supposed to work with the Meridian Explorer2 running the MQA decoder for some listening.  I know 2L has MQA encoded sample files to download for free trials.

The RPi3 has a 5VDC coaxial power input! Might be time to get the BatteryBUSS out and give it a go!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:55:36 AM by HAL »

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
Moode's a blast. The radio integration is first rate IME. The right stations sound very good.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
I never got Moode to connect to my music hard drive through my PC though. But I did hook a USB hard drive right up to the Pi and it worked very well.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:47 AM »
Dave,

Thanks, Rich. 

I guess where I was going with my thoughts is that AN seems like a great place to have a really good discussion by people that are nice and play well with others.  It is such a breath of fresh air coming over here.  None of the "you're stupid" or "you're deaf" crap over here.  I know there are people out there with some strong experiences with digital audio that must have a lot to share.

Curious.

Exactly how I described this site to you. We have only one ball buster however easy to deal with as we know his tactics.
   I need my mind changed about computer audio. The best I have heard to date is Hals music server at CAF.
    My reference is a CEC 01 transport. Limited to 44.1 Redbook and does not play burned CDs. The new CEC01x does but out of my reach.
    As far as a single box player the Esoteric 01x is my reference. Stand alone DAC hands down is the VU Jade.
    I just do not know what will beat what in a direct comparison as we have yet to check that out.
    I am NOT putting down computer audio I just need to hear one against the other in a familiar system.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 05:09:55 PM »
Dave,

Thanks, Rich. 

Curious.

Exactly how I described this site to you. We have only one ball buster however easy to deal with as we know his tactics.
   I need my mind changed about computer audio. The best I have heard to date is Hals music server at CAF.
    My reference is a CEC 01 transport. Limited to 44.1 Redbook and does not play burned CDs. The new CEC01x does but out of my reach.
    As far as a single box player the Esoteric 01x is my reference. Stand alone DAC hands down is the VU Jade.
    I just do not know what will beat what in a direct comparison as we have yet to check that out.
    I am NOT putting down computer audio I just need to hear one against the other in a familiar system.

charles

Thanks, guys.

"What is the sound of one hand clapping?"  Old zen question.  I know that it is at ~ -90dB because we measured it back in the day.  The sound came from wind noise.  Kind of like digital audio.  Fun stuff in the studio while a tad tipsy.

FF about 10 years.  I gave up analog for strictly pragmatic reasons.  I was doing a lot of studio consultation in the '90s and everyone was going to digital as the format of choice.  People would ask me "how does it sound" and having an analog paradigm during the ear of crappy digital with even crappier anti-aliasing filters and cheap assed parts meant that I had to be able to say: "compared to my digital system..." instead of:  It sounds awful" compared to my analog system.  Made my head hurt and I went through the same kind of reprofunk I did after I made a transition from tubes to sand amps.  Stupidity knows no bounds.

FF to about 5 years ago when I heard Eric Hiders original Tranquility DAC and it finally made sense to me.  At the time I had a Cary 306 Pro and it still sounded like digital to me.  Kind of sterile and standoff-ish, but very good in a technical context.  When I heard the NOS Tranquility and its' liquid, relaxed presentation I knew a couple of things:  Accurate?  Uhm, no. Musical - in spades.

FF to now.  I now know how to make digital music that leaves me wanting nothing from analog anymore.  It takes a lot of work, careful selection and a tad bit of suspension of disbelief when it comes to the fact that I am getting huge enjoyment from a digital instead of analog source.

Even better days are coming I think.  Roger Norden, my good friend and fellow geezer has alerted me to the newest version of the Sonore microRendu.  A headless microcomputer running linux that will direct feed from a NAS to a DAC.  I'll be getting one in the next few weeks and will let you know what I hear... or don't, which may be more important.

The times, they are a changin'!

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »
Dave,
Are you referring to a Raspberry Pi? 

I just got my RPi3 running Moode Audio 2.6 OS with the Meridian Explorer 2 DAC.  Something is up with the digital volume control not letting it get loud enough even when set on 100 into the phones.  Very strange.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
Dave, I also ordered the Sonore microRendu to serve as an endpoint for Roon (or LMS/Squeezelite) feeding my Devialet.  Can't wait to see if all the anticipation will payoff.

I'm very curious what you will use as a power supply for it.  They claim it responds quite well to the high-priced power supplies, but I know squat about it.  I ordered mine with the iFi power supply which, of course, will get plugged into your DigiBuss.

FYI - anyone curious can find more info here: http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/

There's also Part 1 of a review of it on ComputerAudiophile.com as well as a wealth of info in the Sonore sponsored forum on that site.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:34:59 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »
Nevermind, spotted the HW reference.

Already ran into a snag with Linux and the RPi3 and the DAC. 

Ugh!

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
Dave, I also ordered the Sonore microRendu to serve as an endpoint for Roon (or LMS/Squeezelite) feeding my Devialet.  Can't wait to see if all the anticipation will payoff.

I'm very curious what you will use as a power supply for it.  They claim it responds quite well to the high-priced power supplies, but I know squat about it.  I ordered mine with the iFi power supply which, of course, will get plugged into your DigiBuss.

FYI - anyone curious can find more info here: http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/

There's also Part 1 of a review of it on ComputerAudiophile.com as well as a wealth of info in the Sonore sponsored forum on that site.
Mike, I have an idea for a linear power supply that "should be" a killer.  I'm wondering if it will best my battery supply through the BatteryBUSS.  We'll just have to hear/see.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 09:28:38 AM »
Dave,

Thanks, Rich. 

Curious.

charles

Thanks, guys.

"What is the sound of one hand clapping?"  Old zen question.  I know that it is at ~ -90dB because we measured it back in the day.  The sound came from wind noise.  Kind of like digital audio.  Fun stuff in the studio while a tad tipsy.

FF about 10 years.  I gave up analog for strictly pragmatic reasons.  I was doing a lot of studio consultation in the '90s and everyone was going to digital as the format of choice.  People would ask me "how does it sound" and having an analog paradigm during the ear of crappy digital with even crappier anti-aliasing filters and cheap assed parts meant that I had to be able to say: "compared to my digital system..." instead of:  It sounds awful" compared to my analog system.  Made my head hurt and I went through the same kind of reprofunk I did after I made a transition from tubes to sand amps.  Stupidity knows no bounds.

FF to about 5 years ago when I heard Eric Hiders original Tranquility DAC and it finally made sense to me.  At the time I had a Cary 306 Pro and it still sounded like digital to me.  Kind of sterile and standoff-ish, but very good in a technical context.  When I heard the NOS Tranquility and its' liquid, relaxed presentation I knew a couple of things:  Accurate?  Uhm, no. Musical - in spades.

FF to now.  I now know how to make digital music that leaves me wanting nothing from analog anymore.  It takes a lot of work, careful selection and a tad bit of suspension of disbelief when it comes to the fact that I am getting huge enjoyment from a digital instead of analog source.

Even better days are coming I think.  Roger Norden, my good friend and fellow geezer has alerted me to the newest version of the Sonore microRendu.  A headless microcomputer running linux that will direct feed from a NAS to a DAC.  I'll be getting one in the next few weeks and will let you know what I hear... or don't, which may be more important.

Dave,

Do you expect to have that Sonore Rendu up and running while I'm in Albuquerque? I've been reading about it, and I must say I'm intrigued. Melody and I will arrive 5/18 and leave 6/22. We're in the Sedona area for 17 days now. I found the cottage on VRBO.com.
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
We honeymooned in Sedona. Watch out for those black copters. ;)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
Dave,

Thanks, Rich. 

Curious.

charles

Thanks, guys.

Dave,

Do you expect to have that Sonore Rendu up and running while I'm in Albuquerque? I've been reading about it, and I must say I'm intrigued. Melody and I will arrive 5/18 and leave 6/22. We're in the Sedona area for 17 days now. I found the cottage on VRBO.com.
I'm not sure if I will have my system back up by then.  Work and our remodel is taking all of my time.  The listening room looks like a bomb went off in there.

We'll see...  :roll: