Author Topic: Ted Denny throws down the gauntlet!  (Read 4871 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Ted Denny throws down the gauntlet!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 10:44:54 AM »
Agree 100%.  If I can I always try to buy my gear from the small cottage industry guys. 

Choose wisely and you get excellent performance, personal service, and great value.    :thumb:
And the little guys that offer great performance at a reasonable cost say THANK YOU!!!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 11:11:22 AM »
Agree 100%.  If I can I always try to buy my gear from the small cottage industry guys. 

Choose wisely and you get excellent performance, personal service, and great value.    :thumb:
And the little guys that offer great performance at a reasonable cost say THANK YOU!!!   :thumb:

YES! Thank you kindly!  :thumb:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »

YES! Thank you kindly!  :thumb:

I cant talk to you Pete, your the little guy and only little guys pay taxes Lol!  :rofl:

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »
  Slander is the issue not ones personality. Gene has slandered Teds company and His Dealers. Not cool. Reviewers as well. Saw Ted at CAF a few years back. We have a VG friendship. Ted sells a lot of product has made out very well. Yes He is pompous and likes to show His shit off. Ted offers cables from $650 to insane. I do not use His cabling.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 01:34:14 PM »
Personally, I could care less about gene What's-his-foot or Ted Denney.

However...

I think it sucks that there is the constant pissing contest and denigration of others from BOTH sides of the conversation... any conversation.  We have gotten to THAT place where if someone disagrees with another person the disagreeable party is viewed as a moron, idiot, N*zi or the Anti-Christ.  I don't get it.  People should be able to agree to disagree and remain civil.

Concerning the topic at hand, I think Denney's SOTA listening room is a bit of a joke:  heavy on gear and nowhere on treatment that will allow the gear to blossom.  Gene, OTOH, is just a jerk when it comes to being a slanderer.

TMSAISTI

Dave did you see the latest photos of that room ? lots of treatments. Would like to hear the end result.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 02:38:26 PM »

However...

I think it sucks that there is the constant pissing contest and denigration of others from BOTH sides of the conversation... any conversation.  We have gotten to THAT place where if someone disagrees with another person the disagreeable party is viewed as a moron, idiot, N*zi or the Anti-Christ.  I don't get it.  People should be able to agree to disagree and remain civil.

Concerning the topic at hand, I think Denney's SOTA listening room is a bit of a joke:  heavy on gear and nowhere on treatment that will allow the gear to blossom.  Gene, OTOH, is just a jerk when it comes to being a slanderer.

TMSAISTI

Dave did you see the latest photos of that room ? lots of treatments. Would like to hear the end result.

charles
Nope.  I need to find some of thr new photos and I'll temper my comments until I do.  Great gear in there...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 03:12:31 PM »

However...

TMSAISTI

The thing that really gets under my skin about these types of pissing contests is that there is a very simple answer to the questions. If you feel that a particular product does not do what they claim or is way overpriced for what it does, THEN DON'T BUY IT! Nobody if forcing anyone to use a particular piece of gear in their system.

I personally resent somebody like this guy Gene  telling me what will or will not sound good in my system. It's my money, my choice and if I decide something makes a improvement that is worth the asking price, my right to do so. If something is truly BS then it will end up not selling and the market will have the final say as to if it is a worth while product. All anyone can do in reporting about performance is to tell us how the feel the product did in their own personal system.   Just because something did not play well with your set of gear does not mean that it won't play well with mine. And I have experienced that first hand on numerous occasions, excitingly bringing a new find to a buddy's house only to find it sound like a dud there even though it sounded great at my house.

Bottom line, my system is built and voiced  for one person and one person only, me. I will put into it what I feel helps bring me, personally,  more musical enjoyment regardless of how it works, or measures, or what anyone else thinks of the choice. Enjoy sharing  the experience with others, but do not feel the need to have anyone else validate my choices. If someone disagrees with my choices, I respect their right to that opinion, but I simply don't care. I don't need to please anyone but myself. And after 40 years in this hobby I am perfectly capable of deciding what does and does sound better in my own system. I certainly don't need somebody like this guy Gene, who thinks he can tell me how a component will sound in my house without the slightest clue about what my equipment of musical preferences are. Last I heard we listen with our ears, not meters and scopes.

And just for the record, I have never owned nor even auditioned any SR products in my system, so this post has nothing to do with Gene's comments about SR, just about what I feel is his audacity to think that his test equipment could do a better job than my own ears in blindly making decisions for me on what I should or should not buy.

Sorry people like that just get under my skin.

Rant over.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 08:19:55 PM »

However...

TMSAISTI

The thing that really gets under my skin about these types of pissing contests is that there is a very simple answer to the questions. If you feel that a particular product does not do what they claim or is way overpriced for what it does, THEN DON'T BUY IT! Nobody if forcing anyone to use a particular piece of gear in their system.

I personally resent somebody like this guy Gene  telling me what will or will not sound good in my system. It's my money, my choice and if I decide something makes a improvement that is worth the asking price, my right to do so. If something is truly BS then it will end up not selling and the market will have the final say as to if it is a worth while product. All anyone can do in reporting about performance is to tell us how the feel the product did in their own personal system.   Just because something did not play well with your set of gear does not mean that it won't play well with mine. And I have experienced that first hand on numerous occasions, excitingly bringing a new find to a buddy's house only to find it sound like a dud there even though it sounded great at my house.

Bottom line, my system is built and voiced  for one person and one person only, me. I will put into it what I feel helps bring me, personally,  more musical enjoyment regardless of how it works, or measures, or what anyone else thinks of the choice. Enjoy sharing  the experience with others, but do not feel the need to have anyone else validate my choices. If someone disagrees with my choices, I respect their right to that opinion, but I simply don't care. I don't need to please anyone but myself. And after 40 years in this hobby I am perfectly capable of deciding what does and does sound better in my own system. I certainly don't need somebody like this guy Gene, who thinks he can tell me how a component will sound in my house without the slightest clue about what my equipment of musical preferences are. Last I heard we listen with our ears, not meters and scopes.

And just for the record, I have never owned nor even auditioned any SR products in my system, so this post has nothing to do with Gene's comments about SR, just about what I feel is his audacity to think that his test equipment could do a better job than my own ears in blindly making decisions for me on what I should or should not buy.

Rant over.
Exactly.  Well said.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 07:38:00 AM »
  +2 Tom well said

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 02:01:53 PM »

However...

I think it sucks that there is the constant pissing contest and denigration of others from BOTH sides of the conversation... any conversation.  We have gotten to THAT place where if someone disagrees with another person the disagreeable party is viewed as a moron, idiot, N*zi or the
 Anti-Christ.  I don't get it.  People should be able to agree to disagree and remain civil.

TMSAISTI

Rant over.
Exactly.  Well said.

Great minds think alike.   :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2021, 09:41:00 PM »
  Slander is the issue not ones personality. Gene has slandered Teds company and His Dealers. Not cool. Reviewers as well. Saw Ted at CAF a few years back. We have a VG friendship. Ted sells a lot of product has made out very well. Yes He is pompous and likes to show His shit off. Ted offers cables from $650 to insane. I do not use His cabling.

charles

Hi Charles,

I understand. When I reminisced my first test 10A was returned to me, literally ball peened hammered by a major online reviewer, because I would not sell it to them under the table for $300.00 ($1200.00 normal price).

The same online mag (soon after combining with another online mag) tried twice more over the years to discredit my products. So instead of a positive review, I started seeing questionable and negative posts of my products on forums, negative posts even from a third online magazine I had no dealings with, or was even familiar with.

--------------------------- In General

Regarding "pissing" contests, either the scientist is lacking understanding or is a shill (some really are), or the diyer does not understand (but then he is not expected to), or more than likely, both post faulty information/science.
I am not the only one as Jneutron also discovered the problem as well. (Jneutron is a scientist who has worked at FermiLab, helped with creating Cern, Brookhaven National Laboratory, taught classes to other scientists etc.)

There is no doubt that interconnect cables (ics) can make a sonic difference regardless of measurements because some parameters are not measurable, such as smearing. Measuring to -150db does not mean one can reliably measure to 0,01db. Understanding basic physics is also a necessary discipline. Another variable is how much does one's venue/system mask low level information. Heavier masking means less sonic difference perceived.

Well, that is my rant for now. Cheers.

steve
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:22:06 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 10:45:40 AM »
  Hey Steve just noticed your response. We have had slander and grief from disgruntled reviewers and Rags in general. We are not alone several others have reported same and choose to remain silent.
  At the end of the day the "SOUND" is all that matters not measurements.

charles

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 06:32:43 PM »
  Hey Steve just noticed your response. We have had slander and grief from disgruntled reviewers and Rags in general. We are not alone several others have reported same and choose to remain silent.
  At the end of the day the "SOUND" is all that matters not measurements.

charles

I believe Charles. Over the past 20 years I have noticed that it is the public never seems to "profit". There are a couple or maybe three I would consider honest, the rest I question.

I just read two articles, one comparing capacitors and the other an xxx review. These two articles could not have done more damage to audio if they had tried. Sad indeed. Completely inept.

I have a slightly different philosophy in that the measurements must be excellent but the final judgement is still the ear. I just saw a DAC with great reviews, but with a frequency response (FR) of -3db at 20hz. That immediately tells me there is a compromise or more elsewhere(s). Something(s) is being offered on the sacrificial table.

Like you Charles, I always thought it should be the music lover/audiophile that should end up the winner.

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:19:48 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers