Author Topic: How Does Heat Wave/ Electric Cutback Affect Your System?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
How Does Heat Wave/ Electric Cutback Affect Your System?
« on: August 14, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
This may be Long Island / "Big City" specific... The heat wave of the last four days has caused my electric company to cut back; the meter on my power conditioner has been reading 112-114 volts during the day.
I would have expected a lack of bass, but the bass seems fine; maybe slightly loose?
What I notice, though, is a slight hardening of the treble. Grainy, perhaps?
Anyone else notice this or some other phenomenon related to lowered voltage?
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: How Does Heat Wave/ Electric Cutback Affect Your System?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:36:38 AM »
My AC unit has a breaker on the side of it that keeps blowing when the voltage gets low. I just ordered a replacement capacitor because it is likely that the initial surge on start-up is what is causing it to blow.

But I have no system issues, then again, I'm spending more time in the pool than in front of the stereo.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 10:27:03 AM »
James

I've experienced something similar but cannot really put my finger on it.
What I can tell you is that the sound just seems to be "off". Coincides with each time the breaker trips on Bob's AC unit. Hope he fixes it soon.

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »
I don't think what you are hearing is due to the voltage cutback. Any power supply work its salt has enough voltage regulation to maintain it's output voltage through a 6% drop in input voltage, which is all you are seeing.

IMO the more likely culprit is what is causing the power company to lower the voltage in the first place and that is the fact that everybody and his brother is running their air conditioning at full tilt. Refrigeration units are notoriously noisy and push all kinds of noise back into the power grid. I would think all the extra trash riding on your commercial power is much more likely the cause of the grain and hardness than the fact that your voltage is being lowered by what is really a rather small amount.

BTW, I just looked at my AC voltage and it is only down 1 volt, to 119, but today has not been as hot as the past few and I really should look at it during the day, when the commercial and industrial load is on the grid.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
 IT SUCKS until after 11PM even with my conditioning. Voltage is as voltage does.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.