Author Topic: Your Investment (What music format cost you the most time to get to Nirvana)  (Read 9717 times)

Offline Brap

• Obsessively Audiophilic
I'd have to say going back to analog.  Building OTL amps, upgrading to MC cartridge, etc.  Sound is amazing and enjoyable. Ditto the comment about listening to songs on LP's that don't really care for but still sounds great!
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
File based playback.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
  Digital. Had to spend crazy money to come close to my TT setup. Closer but no cigar to my Lps.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

Digital. Had to spend crazy money to come close to my TT setup. Closer but no cigar to my Lps.

charles

I'd put my Digital up against your TT No problem.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
Vinyl with zero sand...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
This pursuit for me originally started out with an incredible love of music and how it could make me feel. And this was with a cassette playing out of a circa 1980s boombox. So I have kind of gotten back to that. Exploring the music with less of an eye on what may or may be the best playback ever. ;)
So its the investment in myself I guess, or maybe opening up and just listening. I am not one for tradition though... right now I do most of my listening through Apple Music... alternatively the rest of my music is on hard drive as ALAC..

Two great finds are Courtney Barnett:
https://itun.es/us/lOAp5?i=960343115

I love this album.. its basically pop but interesting,
twenty one pilots:
https://itun.es/us/wFxf6?i=974485474

Also the new Baroness and listening to the new David Bowie released today!!

Its cool ndude.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know

charles

Dem is fighting words Werd.  :rofl: :rofl: Bring it on. My TT has a black belt in digital combat. The cartridge is on the terror watch list as it kills digital enemies.  :lol:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Werd

charles

Dem is fighting words Werd.  :rofl: :rofl: Bring it on. My TT has a black belt in digital combat. The cartridge is on the terror watch list as it kills digital enemies.  :lol:

charles

Oh yah  :lol:

I've massaged out all the  digits-titus, to the point my dac analogue puts out layered music with speed and finesse that throws vinyl back into the 20th century
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Werd

I should design a dac and call it Werd's Super Analogue Kung-Fu Dac  :thumb:

:lol:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
It is not meant to rebut or argue with you, just a a report of my experience with this issue. I have gone through this challenge on several occasions. Sometimes with disc based systems and lately with a computer based system playing high res rips of vinyl albums made on a VPI HRX with a multi kilobuck cartridge. In each case the owner swore that they had a digital system that would finally outperform my vinyl rig. Each time the results have been the same. It took less than 30 seconds into the first song to realize that the digital was just no challenge for my TT with a good clean LP.

Now that said, over the years the digital had gotten better and better and IMO is now at the point where it SQ has advanced such that I would not be unhappy living with a good digital setup at this point. Is it better than the vinyl, not at all, but it is close enough that if I did not have a vinyl copy to compare it to I would not be unhappy with it at all.

Just because digital is not the best does not mean that it does not have its merits and has not earned the right to a place in any good high end system. At the end of the day well done vinyl does sound better, but it is a royal PITA. And digital is easier to find good condition software for. And the SQ is getting much closer between the two, so I can certainly understand why people without a big investment in LPs might opt to go in the digital direction.

Hey, a Maserati is a great car and it is not any less of a car just because a Ferrari is better.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

You are probably right, but still doesn't trump my Allahu Akbar Dac. Hooked up in a system with vinyl the dac immediately goes into Allahu Akbar mode when vinyl starts outperforming. It's starts scrolling ALLAHU AKBAR then detonates destroying everything and all vinyl,

:rofl:  :thumb:
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,