Author Topic: Ted Denny throws down the gauntlet!  (Read 4896 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Ted Denny throws down the gauntlet!
« on: April 11, 2021, 09:06:47 PM »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Ted Denny throws down the gauntlet!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 11:47:51 PM »
Wow...wow... That is great! If Gene can’t make it, I’m ready to go! I don’t know much about Synergistic Research other than their well-known name and a few of their products.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 07:57:57 AM »
  Video unavailable. Ted offered to pay the expenses for this fool to come measure His cables. It is now nasty as Ted is suing Him. Measurements matter however do NOT measure what a cable sounds like. This guy Gene contacted Teds dealers and reviewers bad mouthing Teds product as snake oil. Not cool. Lawsuit coming.

charles
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 08:55:46 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:31:16 AM »
I have had this discussion on many occasions.  If a number of people come to a consensus that two things sound different and one person can't measure a difference should the conclusion be that all the people who heard things are imagining it and there is not difference? No, my answer to that has always been if I can hear a difference and you can't measure it then you are obviously measuring the wrong things.

As far as I am concerned there are only two measurement devices on the planet that matter to me when it comes to audio and they live on either side of my head.

If somebody can do some empirical measurements that correlate with what I hear, great, I'm all for that. And as an engineer I am curious to know the whys of what goes on in my system. But when I come home and replace my engineer hat with my audiophile one the what it sounds like always takes precedence over why it sound like.

Because at that point it's all about the music and when I am in listening mode musical enjoyment becomes more important than technical understanding any day of the week.

If this guy gene does not like or think a cable product is useful or worth the money he has a real simple solution. Just don't buy it.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 11:29:30 AM »
I have had this discussion on many occasions.  If a number of people come to a consensus that two things sound different and one person can't measure a difference should the conclusion be that all the people who heard things are imagining it and there is not difference? No, my answer to that has always been if I can hear a difference and you can't measure it then you are obviously measuring the wrong things.

As far as I am concerned there are only two measurement devices on the planet that matter to me when it comes to audio and they live on either side of my head.

If somebody can do some empirical measurements that correlate with what I hear, great, I'm all for that. And as an engineer I am curious to know the whys of what goes on in my system. But when I come home and replace my engineer hat with my audiophile one the what it sounds like always takes precedence over why it sound like.

Because at that point it's all about the music and when I am in listening mode musical enjoyment becomes more important than technical understanding any day of the week.

If this guy gene does not like or think a cable product is useful or worth the money he has a real simple solution. Just don't buy it.

The only companies that I know can prove their measurements are Shunyata, Swiss Cables and Belden. Can determine from measurements why it sounds the way it does. Belden cables start at $650/mtr [ Iconoclast ] and Shunyata can be off the charts expensive Swiss Cable $1250/mtr and higher. Not insulting or putting down other Manfs as I do not know their design parameters just their sound.
   I like a Cable Manf that measures , blind tests and sells a complete product from end to end. IMHO it is the entire assembly not one facet of it. That synergy we talk about is the LCR match from component to component not luck. The only luck involved for us is finding that Cable.

charles

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:32:22 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 11:31:52 AM »
  Back to subject. This Guy Gene is not alone in the Industry. Trying to make a name for himself as our "Night in Shining Armor". All Amps do not sound the same, etc,etc.

charles

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 11:34:12 AM »
Interesting.

The video was already taken down.  :?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »
Interesting.

Lawsuit pending against Audioholics I believe.

charles

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 05:19:41 AM »
Interesting.

Lawsuit pending against Audioholics I believe.

charles

Goodbye Audioholics

Never understood the animosity towards cable manufactures and those that purchase from them.

Live and let live
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 06:35:02 AM »
I just had my first unpleasant experience with Ted. On his FB page someone asked him why he doesn't go to Capital Audiofest. His snarky response was that it was a "DIY show". I said to him that companies of all sizes and all products are there. He was condescending in his reply basically shaming any company that he didn't feel was a major player.  I think this is a bad attitude. I stated that "you have to start somewhere" and that big companies were small at one time and big audio companies may consider him (SR) DIY. He countered that he is a big company and a leader.

Ok my point is that I believe that we should be open to what all audio companies bring to our hobby. This is what advances our field. There are some incredibly smart engineers in audio that are just not good businessman. But they have great ideas and have made valuable contributions. If we are asked by Ted to keep an open mind that his products can bring improvement to sound then he should keep an open mind that these small companies can bring value in the industry.

I unfollowed his group as I can not be part of that type of thinking.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 08:46:59 AM »
I just had my first unpleasant experience with Ted. On his FB page someone asked him why he doesn't go to Capital Audiofest. His snarky response was that it was a "DIY show". I said to him that companies of all sizes and all products are there. He was condescending in his reply basically shaming any company that he didn't feel was a major player.  I think this is a bad attitude. I stated that "you have to start somewhere" and that big companies were small at one time and big audio companies may consider him (SR) DIY. He countered that he is a big company and a leader.

Ok my point is that I believe that we should be open to what all audio companies bring to our hobby. This is what advances our field. There are some incredibly smart engineers in audio that are just not good businessman. But they have great ideas and have made valuable contributions. If we are asked by Ted to keep an open mind that his products can bring improvement to sound then he should keep an open mind that these small companies can bring value in the industry.

Hmmm. ... interesting logic. I’m not sure how anyone can become a major player  if they don’t start by being a small player   :roll:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:06:22 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »

Hmmm. ... interesting logic. I’m not sure how anyone can become a major player  if they don’t start being a small player   :roll:

Yea, he was like, those guys are amateur hour I'm the real deal kind of attitude. I dont like that. I love the small companies for the passion that they have.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
Agree 100%.  If I can I always try to buy my gear from the small cottage industry guys. 

Choose wisely and you get excellent performance, personal service, and great value.    :thumb:
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »
Personally, I could care less about gene What's-his-foot or Ted Denney.

However...

I think it sucks that there is the constant pissing contest and denigration of others from BOTH sides of the conversation... any conversation.  We have gotten to THAT place where if someone disagrees with another person the disagreeable party is viewed as a moron, idiot, N*zi or the Anti-Christ.  I don't get it.  People should be able to agree to disagree and remain civil.

Concerning the topic at hand, I think Denney's SOTA listening room is a bit of a joke:  heavy on gear and nowhere on treatment that will allow the gear to blossom.  Gene, OTOH, is just a jerk when it comes to being a slanderer.

TMSAISTI
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe