Author Topic: Summer Concerts Anyone?  (Read 10369 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Summer Concerts Anyone?
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:21:16 PM »
Summer will be here before you now it.

Does anyone have any concert plans for the summer yet?

So far I have tickets to see James Taylor, John Williams and the Boston Pops doing a program of film music and the Boston Symphony doing Beethoven's 9th, all at Tanglewood with my wife and Buddy Guy at Westbury Music Fair with the LI boys. The guys are also going to see Santana at Jones beach, but that is on the same day as Beethoven's 9th.  :(
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Summer Concerts Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:21:54 PM »
Bryan Ferry in the spring, Beck in the summer so far.

Recent shows attended: Smithereens w/Marshall Crenshaw, Neil Young solo, Little Steven, Brian Wilson w/Blondie Chaplin & Al Jardine.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:43:11 AM »
It's 70-80 in Florida now so even though it's Feb, it's kinda summer or at least spring.

Just saw Dave Mason and Steve Cropper. These 2 guys wrote some of the best R&R or blues songs that you hear on the radio all the time. A bit of history there.

Elton John is coming to Jacksonville March 15.

Pat Metheny is on April 9th, for my birthday

Roscalusa is coming to my neighborhood on April 27. This is a song writers festival. These are the guys who write the songs that you hear on country radio. They come and tell the story behind the song then sing them for us in their own voice.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 10:22:39 PM »

So far I have tickets to see James Taylor, John Williams and the Boston Pops doing a program of film music and the Boston Symphony doing Beethoven's 9th, all at Tanglewood with my wife and Buddy Guy at Westbury Music Fair with the LI boys. The guys are also going to see Santana at Jones beach, but that is on the same day as Beethoven's 9th.  :(

Oh wow! Williams with the Boston Pops! I am envious. How much are Tanglewood tickets these days?

I hear that Herbie Hancock has August concerts here in the West Coast. Open air though. I would have wanted to hear him unplugged.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 11:27:12 PM »

Oh wow! Williams with the Boston Pops! I am envious. How much are Tanglewood tickets these days?

I hear that Herbie Hancock has August concerts here in the West Coast. Open air though. I would have wanted to hear him unplugged.

Boston Pops tickets in the Shed range from 44 130.
The BSO depending on the event start at 34 and go up to 114.

Lawn seats are generally between 20 and 30 dollars.

Prices for Pop/Rock artists are all over the map depending on who it is.

A pdf of the season brochure can be found at:

http://bso.http.internapcdn.net/bso/images/uploads/brochures/TWD19_Brochure.pdf

(The file is to big to add to this post as an attachment)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 07:01:03 PM »
Just scored a pair of tickets for myself and my son to see Laurence Juber at the Iridium Club in Manhattan.

Juber spent two years as the Lead guitarist for Paul McCartney and Wings and since then has become one of the most accomplished fingerstyle gutaists around.

The video below starts a bit slow but once he gets into the song itself (about 30 seconds in), what he does with a single guitar is just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hxlu_jEd5A

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline malloy

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 12:21:30 PM »
Boston Pops tickets in the Shed range from 44 130.
The BSO depending on the event start at 34 and go up to 114.

Lawn seats are generally between 20 and 30 dollars.

http://bso.http.internapcdn.net/bso/images/uploads/brochures/TWD19_Brochure.pdf

Those prices are are steal considering what level of artistry you get there!  Yo-Yo Ma, Thibaudet, Fleming, AX, etc. I didn't know the prime seating was so close to the stage either.  I need to save money and plan for this very soon.

Offline malloy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »
Just scored a pair of tickets for myself and my son to see Laurence Juber at the Iridium Club in Manhattan.

Juber spent two years as the Lead guitarist for Paul McCartney and Wings and since then has become one of the most accomplished fingerstyle gutaists around.

The video below starts a bit slow but once he gets into the song itself (about 30 seconds in), what he does with a single guitar is just amazing.

How come I've never heard of this guy before now?  :shock: It sounds like he can play pretty much anything.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 07:18:53 PM »

How come I've never heard of this guy before now?  :shock: It sounds like he can play pretty much anything.

I first heard about him when he was interviewed on the Breakfast with The Beatles radio show. At the time he had two ( and now three) albums of acoustic guitar renditions of Beatle songs. They played a few cuts and I was very impressed. Found a few of his CDs in my library and became an instant fan.

He has several albums up on Tidal and Qobuz if you have subscriptions to either.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Brap

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
Wife's 60th coming up and she likes JLo, so got a couple for her "it's my Party" tour.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 09:50:02 PM »
Looks like the only concerts any of us are going to see this summer will be live streamed. Tours are being cancelled left and right. And I can't really blame them. Even if we do start to lift some of the lockdown restrictions, in the early phases of the reopen plans we will still be required to maintain the social distancing rules.

Think about this, if we will be required to maintain six foot separations among concert goers this will limit seating to pretty much every three rows and every third seat within those rows.  So 1/3 of the seats in 1/3 of the rows means that 8/9th of the seats would need to be empty. What artists would go out on tour know that the best they could do was sell 11% of the seats in the house.

It sucks to miss out on all of those shows, but I guess it is still better than jump starting the virus and wasting all of the efforts that have been made so far to contain this thing.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline malloy

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 10:08:18 PM »
Think about this, if we will be required to maintain six foot separations among concert goers this will limit seating to pretty much every three rows and every third seat within those rows.  So 1/3 of the seats in 1/3 of the rows means that 8/9th of the seats would need to be empty. What artists would go out on tour know that the best they could do was sell 11% of the seats in the house.

This effectively also rules out any big stadium type shows with no seating such as pop or rock acts where people are bunched up in front of the stage.

But some of the no-name bands I used to listen to can finally  claim they played to a "full house"!

Offline Putz

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 10:56:07 PM »
3 words

pay
per
view

I hope more artists will cancel their shows so that fans can get refunds since TM/LN is not currently doing refunds for postponed shows.

Finally, to support your favorite artists, buy physical media. Streaming, etc. puts very little money in the artist's pocket. And buy em from your local shop.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 10:58:06 PM by Putz »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 07:18:28 AM »
That is once the local shops open up again........   :roll:

For right now online buying seems to be our only option.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »
I'm hoping the Fall is OK since I got 4 tickets to George Thorogood & The Destroyers at the small venue, The Paramount, in Huntington, LI on September 24...

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS