Author Topic: USB "C" Connectors  (Read 6143 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
USB "C" Connectors
« on: December 09, 2019, 06:54:58 AM »
  Belkin has a new connector that the big boys will be changing to. 10x faster with more power. An input that is NOT directional to boot. This is huge.  Lots of mods gonna happen.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: USB "C" Connectors
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 08:56:06 AM »
  Belkin has a new connector that the big boys will be changing to. 10x faster with more power. An input that is NOT directional to boot. This is huge.  Lots of mods gonna happen.

charles

I think that is old news.....I've had a C connector for almost 2 years now
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »
 It is new to me.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »

charles

How do you connect to a streamer or DAC ?

charles

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 10:55:19 AM »

How do you connect to a streamer or DAC ?

charles
Here is some info, Charles:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/332797/what-is-usb-c-an-explainer

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
the coinnector has nothing to do with the speed. the USB C connector is simply a different physical interface. The added spped and power are not a function of the connector but rather of the newer USB standards.

USB 2.0 had a max data transfer of 480 Mbps. USB 3.0 upped that to 5 Gbps and the latest USB spec , 3.1 tops out at 10Gbps and can provide more power than previous USB versions.

But USB 3.1 n be used with both the new C type connector as well as the older A type connectors. SO it is the new USB standard, not the connector that is providing users the the higher speeds and power. (and most of us as audiophiles would not be interested in using the noisy power that comes from a computer, most of us opting to power our audio gear with quieter linear power supplies. So to us the higher power capacity of the 3.1 spec is not really something we would be interested in anyway.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
USB 3.x is great for external storage, but not needed for USB audio data. 

The 384KHz/32bit WAV stereo files are 24.576Mbps data rate, so well under the USB2.0 maximum of 480Mbps.  Even 768KHz/32bit WAV stereo is only 49.152Mbps data rate.   

A galvanically isolated interface like Ethernet is better than USB since it is ground tied.  That is becoming the interface a lot of mfg's are going to.