Author Topic: Cold weather means Chili  (Read 2224 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Cold weather means Chili
« on: February 23, 2022, 11:02:07 AM »
Mines cooking as I type...
Start with 12-15 chili pods boiled for 5 minutes to soften- keep water.  Scrape with butterknife to remove pulp, throw away skins. 
Brown a pound of cheap hamburger and a pound of cubed venison (or a pound of chuck).  Drain the fat.
Cube 1 1/2 onions, quarter 3-4 cloves garlic, tsp oregano, 1 can of diced tomatoes.  Add to meat and cover with chili water.  Cook on low for most of the day, topping off with chicken stock along the way.  Add extra chili powder along the way to taste. 

Or throw everything in the Instant Pot for 40 minutes.  Let cool, season to taste adding chili powder, chicken boullion, salt, pepper to taste. A bit of corn starch if you need to thicken, a third cup ketchup for more body and a touch of sweetness.  Sprinkle in cayenne if you like more heat.  Finish in Instant pot for another 6-7 minutes. 

No one ever follows this advice (including me), but set it aside for a day.  Chili and soups are always better on days 2-3.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:35:08 AM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Cold weather means Chili
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 11:53:42 AM »
Scott,
This is a nice, simple recipe that even I should be able to follow  :roll:
But can you tell me what a chili pod is? Is it fresh or dried?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 12:40:58 PM »
Scott,
Dried.  Anaheim, Hatch, or Poblano are what I usually use.  I buy them by the bag and keep them on hand.  Break off a half a pod and throw it into your chicken soup as it simmers.  WAKE IT UP!  :shock:
I wish I had the selection that Dave has over in New Mexico.  We do a lot of culinary things well in Texas, but variety of chili N.M. rules. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 12:44:14 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 01:23:56 PM »
Mine is more of a southwest stew, lots of beans, olives, corn, diced tomatoes...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 03:16:33 PM »
Scott,
Dried.  Anaheim, Hatch, or Poblano are what I usually use.  I buy them by the bag and keep them on hand.  Break off a half a pod and throw it into your chicken soup as it simmers.  WAKE IT UP!  :shock:
I wish I had the selection that Dave has over in New Mexico.  We do a lot of culinary things well in Texas, but variety of chili N.M. rules.
Yeah, living here in NM has its culinary perks.

Hatch green chili is unparalleled for flavor as well as varying degree of heat.  Green chili in soup is green chili stew.  I prefer Big Jims which are medium heat.

Red chili is a different matter.  The absolute best comes from some small farms in Chimayo, north of Santa Fe.  It is just different.  Growing at higher altitudes makes the difference as well as the mountain streams that are diverted to irrigate the fields.  It is THE best, but hard to find due to the very low volume.  There is "Chimayo Inspired", but it does not have the depth of flavor that the real thing does.  Medium in heat, earthy and full flavored.  Luckily, "I gotta guy"!

I'll be making a big pot of green chili stew tomorrow.  Yum.  Porks shoulder, lots of green chili, potatoes, diced tomatoes, yellow onion (never white), celery, pinto beans and the last of the Schwebach Farm corn in the freezer.  Fresh oregano, garlic and just a touch of garlic and onion powder and cumin along with salt, pepper and some chicken broth.  Pigs feet begin the broth, but are discarded.  I don't eat toenails.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 03:18:43 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 04:27:34 PM »
I've made chili many times over the years. When we were still in Taiwan, I'd use the tiny red peppers which were no longer than the final joint of your pinky. Hotter than hell. Nowadays, I enjoy using a couple spoonfuls from a can of Embasa brand Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. [I suppose any brand is fine, but Embasa is what I find around town.]

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 04:41:10 PM »
Just finished a bowl couple of bowls. 
Man, i love my Instant Pot. Soooooo easy.   :thumb:
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 04:50:05 PM »
Well, I did some shopping at my local Smith’s grocery this afternoon  and asked about the dried peppers. A whole section of dried peppers was sold out, so not a good sign of availability. But I’m in there five times a week at least so I’ll keep checking. I would be leaning towards making a red chili as I’ve never tried green. We’ll see if my very limited cooking skills can make a reasonably tasty chili  :roll:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 09:44:39 PM »
Damn, you guys are making me hungry.  :drool:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 10:35:53 PM »
Just finished a bowl couple of bowls. 
Man, i love my Instant Pot. Soooooo easy.   :thumb:
Yep, the InstaPot and our air fryer are our go to kitchen slaves since they found me.  Thank you daughters-of-mine  :thumb:

Air fryer eggplant parm is THE deal.  Too easy and healthy, too.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 11:43:45 AM »
Now, before anyone scolds me for putting beans in my chili - I know... REAL chili doesn't have beans!

For me, chili without beans is just a sloppy-joe with some heat! 

Anyway, here's my recipe:

Wild Bill's Chili Con Carne

1 Large yellow or Spanish onion, skinned & diced up
      2 Cloves (not heads!) of garlic; peeled & minced (or crushed through a garlic press)
   1-2 Poblano Chili Peppers; split, seeded and then chopped
   1-2 Chipotle* or Jalapeno peppers; split, seeded and then chopped
            * Note: Chipotle's have a better flavor (not just heat) if you can find them.

1 Sweet red, yellow or orange pepper; seeded and then chopped
   3-4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
   3-4 lbs. of Ground beef
      1 large (28 oz.) can of crushed or diced tomatoes
      1 small (6 oz.?) can of tomato sauce
      1 small can of tomato paste
      2 Tablespoons of Ketchup (secret ingredient!)
   2-3 cans of Red Kidney or Black beans (whatever you prefer); drained
   1/2 bottle of dark beer (the chef can drink the other half!)
      2 Tablespoons of Chili powder (You can add more to taste. See note below.)
   1/2 Tablespoon of ground Cumin
          Paprika (See note below.)
          Black ground pepper; to taste
          Dried Red Pepper flakes or Cayenne Pepper; to taste
          Salt; to taste

>>>  Note: You can make it vegetarian style.  Just substitute peeled, diced into cubes and sauteed zucchini in place of the beef - BUT cut down
               the cooking time, otherwise you'll end up with mushy beyond recognition veggies!  Other veggies of choice can be added, if you like.  <<<

Garnish

Grated sharp cheddar cheese
       Sour cream
       Fresh chopped Cilantro (It has a very strong taste, so just a little!)
       Hot Sauce (Franks, Tabasco, whatever brand you like.)

Cooking

1. In a saute' or frying pan, cook the onions and all of the fresh peppers in the olive oil until soft.  Add the minced or crushed garlic after the onions and peppers are half way cooked, because it (garlic) will burn if it's sauteed too long. (*You want the onions & peppers to be tender, not crunchy - so, be patient!  Keep the stove on low heat, so the veggies cook, but nothing browns up too dark.  The onions should be translucent to golden - not darker!)  Once cooked, set off to the side.

2. Take the Poblano, Chipotle and/or Jalapeño peppers and put them in a small food processor with a splash of olive oil and make a slurry.

3. In a LARGE pot, brown the ground beef.  Keep stirring until cooked 90% through, then drain off the extra oil rendered from the beef.  Lower the heat and return to stove top.  Dust the beef with the paprika, add in the 2 tablespoons of chili powder, the 1/2 tablespoon of Cumin, crushed/diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup and beer.  Stir until the tomato paste "melts" into the mix.  Now add the cooked onion and sweet pepper mixture from the frying pan in step#1, the spicy pepper slurry from Step #2 and all of the beans.  Bring the heat up to almost a boil (not quite) and then lower heat to simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half; stirring occasionally.  (*Note: every half hour or so, taste it for seasoning.  Add more chili powder, salt, black, red and/or cayenne pepper as needed to your taste.)

4. If you like, you can cook the rice of your choice to serve with the chili.  Or make some garlic bread.

Serving

Add a serving of rice into bowls, then ladle the chili over it.  Garnish with whatever toppings: grated sharp cheddar cheese, a spoonful or two of sour cream, a sprinkle of fresh chopped Cilantro & a few (if it's me, a lotta) splashes of Hot Sauce (Franks, Tabasco, etc...) to taste.

Don't forget a few cold beers to wash everything down!!!   ;-)

Enjoy!!!  :-)
SN
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:53:28 AM by StereoNut »
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2022, 01:19:43 PM »
Even with the beans, looks like a good recipe.  But rice???  Surely you meant cornbread?  :thumb:
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »
Rather than start a new thread, I’ll just piggyback onto this one. I have a pretty decent crockpot, but have never purchased an air dryer. I’ve been thinking about that though for the last few years. I have looked at the InstaPot and it has an amazing assortment of functions. I’ve also looked at a number of air fryers. As I live alone, I don’t need a very large size. As you guys are all much better cooks than I am, I’d appreciate some recommendations.  I’d prefer not to go over $100, so that would likely leave out the InstaPot.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2022, 08:50:17 PM »
I don't know air fryers, but Instant Pots are always big sale items around Christmas.  Pick one up for $59 next Cyber Monday.  In the mean time the Crock pot cooker does just as good a job or better... but     slow. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2022, 11:10:31 PM »
I don't know air fryers, but Instant Pots are always big sale items around Christmas.  Pick one up for $59 next Cyber Monday.  In the mean time the Crock pot cooker does just as good a job or better... but     slow.
Dude! It is the greatest thing since the discovery of fire!  Cook things that normally mean an oil bath, with just a spray of your oil of choice.

The best eggplant parm I have ever made was in an air fryer.  Do yourself a favor: get one!  Truly the best addition to our kitchen ever!  Air fryer fries are the best... ever!