Systemic Development > Speakers

Really?

(1/2) > >>

James Edward:
I have been setting up a new sub- successfully as it turns out- but a thought has occurred to me along the way. REL, SVS, Hsu, etc., etc., etc., all suggest ways of setting up their subs for the best integration. REL suggests using track 4 of the Sneakers soundtrack- a 28 year old movie. Others suggest using something with ‘low bass content’.
Is this the best they can do? It seems rather pathetic to me. If I spend anywhere from 500 to many thousands of dollars on a product, and I’m told to seek out a 28 year old movie soundtrack and put it on repeat to set up said product, something is wrong.
There are very specific parameters, easily contained in one cd , dvd, or online content, that would be used in setting up a subwoofer. I’m not even talking musical content- test tones don’t have copyright issues that might cost some money. My neighbor has a shitty band that even put out a cd. 50 blank cd’s cost 15.00 retail.
Again, pathetic.

James Edward:
I’ll also add that Hsu sent a cd along with my new sub that was virtually useless for setting up the sub. A few tunes that had a few seconds here and there of low bass. I don’t get it.

steve:
Hi James,

I can only give you advice I have been following. I have a library and generally start listing to selection after selection
to hear how the system sounds in general. I suppose with your sub woofer, I would play teeter totter and adjust placement and xover controls to obtain the best for your venue.

I know it sounds terribly generalized, but that might be the only way with several variables. I think after a while
you will gain a feeling how each adjustment affects the sound. I am referring to xover frequency, amplitude,
and sub placement in the room.

cheers

steve

P.I.:
An 'net search is your friend.  Just about every subwoofer manufacturer has downloadable content to do exactly what you want.

A simple search yielded a few thousand pages.

Here is just one:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup

HAL:
For sub setup Room EQ Wizard and some simple measurements are your friend.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version