Author Topic: shoegazing...  (Read 3912 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
shoegazing...
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
was watching a video

"Hell above Water" by Curve
when I stumbled upon shoegazing, that is the genre of this music and some other favorites we all know.

Shoe gazing....who knew? :-k
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

ltr317

Re: shoegazing...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »
was watching a video

"Hell above Water" by Curve
when I stumbled upon shoegazing, that is the genre of this music and some other favorites we all know.

Shoe gazing....who knew? :-k

Been listening to shoe gazing music for over 20 years. 

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »
I guess a lot of us have, I know I have..just never knew the term

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:37:54 AM »
Shoegazing (also known as shoegaze) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. It lasted there until the mid 1990s, with a critical zenith reached in 1990 and 1991. The British music press—particularly NME and Melody Maker—named this style shoegazing because the musicians in these bands stood relatively still during live performances in a detached, introspective, non-confrontational state, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes.[1][2] The heavy use of effects pedals also contributed to the image of performers looking down at their feet during concerts.

The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars.[1] A general description given to shoegazing and other affiliated bands in London in the early 1990s was The Scene That Celebrates Itself. In the early 1990s, shoegazing groups were pushed aside by the American grunge movement, and early Britpop such as Suede, forcing the relatively unknown bands to break up or reinvent their style altogether.[1] Recent times have seen a renewed interest in the genre among "nu-gaze" bands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:48 AM »
Love me some 'My Bloody Valentine', got to see them live a couple of times back in the day...

'My Bloody Valentine' on youtube

It's funny, I often avoid my music at Raves because the stuff I prefer is far from the "Audiophile" genera. Seems as though there are at least a few guys here who wouldn't be totally turned off by the music I really enjoy. I emptied the room once at a 'NJ Audiophile Society' meeting. Not to say that I don't enjoy more standard "Audiophile" fare, but it's not generally what I reach for when loading up the CD player.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:36:28 AM »
I often enjoy playing something that is not "crowd-friendly" at the LI club events. Most members are classical music lovers. It is great to see them scatter when I put on some Porcupine Tree and the heavy guitar riffs profoundly ring out.

Raves are another story entirely. There is nothing you could put on where someone won't say "I love that group - turn it up".
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:02 AM »
Raves are another story entirely. There is nothing you could put on where someone won't say "I love that group - turn it up".

:thumb:
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 12:54:09 PM »
   When we [ audiosyndrome ] are showing a piece for a Manf, we perfer using Classical, jazz or vocals to present the gear fairly. After the demo it is whatever you want to play. No problem.
  Unfortunately most rock recordings are just not recorded properly. At Mark K. we played a lot of Rock that night on vinyl.

charles
audiosyndrome president
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
   When we [ audiosyndrome ] are showing a piece for a Manf, we perfer using Classical, jazz or vocals to present the gear fairly. After the demo it is whatever you want to play. No problem.
  Unfortunately most rock recordings are just not recorded properly. At Mark K. we played a lot of Rock that night on vinyl.

charles
audiosyndrome president
SMA

Well, if what I like to listen to, doesn't sound good through a piece of equipment, the rest doesn't matter ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »

charles
audiosyndrome president
SMA

Well, if what I like to listen to, doesn't sound good through a piece of equipment, the rest doesn't matter ;)

Barry all I'm trying to get across is that for initial demo material a small Jazz group, Piano or violin piece will reveal more about the piece being evaluated. Piano and violin are a tough challenge. Yes we play rock for dynamic content bass performance and those loverly guitar riffs. Just not as often as Rock, that's all. Every genre has its purpose for demo. If it is a well recorded piece no matter what we play it.
   Did not mean to insult your choice in music. Just making a point abut our Club.

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:16:01 PM »
I think part of the point is that there are recordings that we listen to as tools for SQ evaluation and recordings that we listen to for musical enjoyment. And by the way both have an important role in making and equipment selection decision.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »

I dunno, when Ed puts on Punk Hillbilly, I gotta go.  8-[
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »

I dunno, when Ed puts on Punk Hillbilly, I gotta go.  8-[

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

charles
SMA