Author Topic: Sing-Off  (Read 2261 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Sing-Off
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
At the risk of suffering slings and arrows, I have to urge everyone here to tune in to NBC on Monday at 8PM when the "Sing-Off" finale will be broadcast live.

While Sing-Off is a form of reality show, replete with a goofy host, celebrity judges and artificial suspense, it is actually an a capella music competition with some magnificent vocalists.  If you remove the plastic formula and just pay attention to the music, I promise you will feel chills and have your breath taken away. 

The competition began with 10 a capella group and has whittled down to four.  Those that remain deliver vocals like you've never (and really should) have heard.

To get an idea of what you'll see, visit www.nbc.com/sing-off Ben Folds is one of the celebrity judges, and even he has suspended his cynicism to acknowledge the amazing talent and drive of these groups.  This is no American Idol.  This is the real deal.

Everyone here on AN loves music.  Thus, I implore you to watch this show.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Sing-Off
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:03:56 AM »
I actually ran across that when channel surfing the other night.  Some of the groups were really, really good.  I sat there and watched the rest.  I'd agree to just ignore the format and listen to the music. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 09:06:06 AM »
Thanks for the tip guys. My wife loves singing and dancing contest shows, but we didn't know about that one. It can't be any goofier than Hallmark channel... 

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 12:09:44 PM »
Rich-

The only goofiness is the "host" and format.  The music is literally breathtaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CP8-WRJm9M

Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" by the Backbeats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTBwqLBoOkQ

Beatles "With a little Help from my Friends" by all of the groups

Keep in mind that this music is a capella.  There are no instruments other than voices and breath.