Author Topic: Let's Build Rich's Server  (Read 18377 times)

ik632

Re: Let's Build Rich's Server
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »
Boot Disk

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA17640

$39

Good find, I have one of these at home and one in the car (long story I can get into later). They perform well and are cheap.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 06:47:39 PM »
Thanks guys!! Looks great.

I have a Caviar WD800, it is 2004 model, but brand new. It caused my DirecTivo box to freeze randomly so I swapped in a new one. I sent it to the seller for credit and they said it tested fine. It is brand new, could be the 8yo Tivo on the way out or it could be this drive is bum. Is it worth trying for OS? I won't put data storage into the machine until later, then I'll go with my beloved Barracudas, with 2 750s mirrored.

I don't buy tiger anymore after a truly inspiring retail store experience. Pride in beauracracy is abhorant. I eschew obfuscation.

Thanks for the help guys. I feel good about this config.
Rich

ik632

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »
That drive should be more than adequate especially since it's PATA. With the boards we've mentioned you'd end up needing one of those for boot/os anyway and then the big SATA for storage. I like it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 01:34:21 PM »
Great. I am just about ready to order parts. I gotta have a moment of peace to think it through clearly and little league is running me crazy. Thanks Nick

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 08:13:51 AM »
I have not flaked, just been busy.

I was looking at mobos this morning. Still deciding on what I want for power/price, but should be able to order in next day or so. Going fwd with SB instead of Sonos, for now. I already have 3 SBs and need music storage anyway, so a server will help me see whether slim can cut it or not.

I did unload AdAware on my PC which really freed it up a lot. But SB nav is still about the same. Not quite as fast as Nicks server, but faster than NAS.

ik632

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 11:14:32 AM »
Sounds great Rich. Any thought as to which OS you want to use? If you choose to go with Linux; Ubuntu server is very easy to use and more compatible with upgrades (Inguz, etc) but I've had good luck with FreeBSD. There's always Windows XP, which when not loaded with all of the things most people use runs very well (WHS - Windows Home Server still has some file system issues that I don't know are fixed in the newest SP so I'd wait another quarter or so on WHS).

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 06:34:32 PM »
I thought I found a nice Asus motherboard latest gen M3? but it said no linux drivers available yet...

I would like to be able to try linux, then if it isn't compatible with my processor I can roll back to you know what...