Author Topic: Question  (Read 4142 times)

shep

Question
« on: October 23, 2009, 02:39:39 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts about the affect of the proximity of a Wi-Fi emitting device to amp and cdp.? Mine is about 4 feet away. It occurred to me this was not so smart but I don't know.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:43:51 AM »
Should be no problem for a well designed device. RF is easy to filter out of an audio frequency circuit.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:59 AM »
If it doesn't have to be there, I'd move it.  It's possible that there could be interference.. it's also possible that the amp could be interfering with the wifi... (not sure if ICE designs leak EMI/RFI/etc.)

In any case, how hard would it be to move it and find out? ;)

I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:37:01 AM »
Actually very hard. The wires are sealed in the wall. Or I would have to get a splitter to increase the length of the wire. I don't actually hear anything but it occured to me that RFI is a menace. Obviously I cant shield the wifi box or it will stop working. In theory, both the amp and the cdp have lavish applications of that paper stuff (which both shields and absorbes)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »
You could check the signal strength of your wireless connection, both with the amps on, and again with them off.

Also, listen for a difference in sound quality with the Wifi on, then while it's unplugged (of course that's impossible if you're using wireless audio like a SqueezeBox).

Bob

shep

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »
The signal strength is perfect regardless, since my laptop is only 12feet away! I don't hear any dif. on or off. Well not so I could shake a stick at. The neighbors, who are on the same feed, would take it unkindly if I shut it on and off in pursuit of AS. I suspect that paper stuff (why can I never remember the name!) is doing a good job of shielding. I don't do squeeze box or any of that weird new stuff  :duh tried and true redbook (I never thought I would live to say that!I used to be such a vinyl groupie!)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 10:49:15 AM »
I'm tried and true Redbook as well, I just like the ability to touch that disc twice;
Once to put it in the computer, once to take it out. After that, I listen to my Redbook via a SqueezeBox.  :-P :lol:

Bob

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »
The amp and CDP metal cases are doing a good job of shielding too, and the circuit designers filtered out any RF coming in on the cable with a couple 2 cent caps.

wifi is only 100mW at 2.4+GHz, very low energy. It is much more likely that other appliances in your house are interfering with the wifi!

shep

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 11:36:52 AM »
I'm glad to hear this. You hear so many stories about how we are being fried slowly by microwave emissions
from cell phones and all manner of evil energy. My brain is already addled but I would prefer my gear to remain unscathed.