Author Topic: Windows 7 pre order  (Read 6810 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Windows 7 pre order
« on: June 29, 2009, 02:05:46 PM »
Any of you slackers who KNOW you are gonna upgrade to Win7 in the fall, get in on this promo. I ordered from NewEgg, but also available from Amazon and anyone selling Windows. It is an official Micro-Softie promotion

Win 7 Home $50
Win7 Pro $100
(free shipping from New Egg)

Ships 10/22

http://email.newegg.com/a/hBKSLwEA1OQIjB7uTSa-K9M8x.A1OQIjA4/nweg41

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Windows 7 pre order
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
50 bucks - such a deal.  From what I've been hearing, it's already better and more stable, less of a resource hog, etc. than Vista (which I never moved to - just stubborn...)

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

shep

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »
I've been using 7 since the first Beta and now am on RC. It is very fast and stable and a serious improvement on all previous versions of Windows. I'm not going to buy it unless the time bomb spoken of can't be gotten around or the commercial version is said to be even better.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Since the Vista/Win7 RC1 must be wiped on full install, I suspect that there will not be a way to circumvent the timebomb. But I bet there are a million little punks working o nit as we speak....

My new laptop has Vista. It has crashed a few times in first week of use, usually using Mozilla programs, but occasionally with IE7 too. The PC freezes frequently. Not sure if that would improve using all MS apps. Shouldn't matter. Or it could be shit running in the background helping me save the planet with green energy settings.

I have a lot of old software though, and it looks like Win7 might be less compatible with some old stuff, which is what is necessary to really make headway with windows. Compatibility at all cost is what has held Windows back for so many years. Maybe they are finally saying fuck it, we're gonna do it right this time, we have no choice.... If you don't like it go buy a Mac.  :-({|=

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »
I have one computer on XP Pro, both my kids are on Vista Home and my laptop and HTPC are both running Vista Ultimate.

Even at $100.00 a pop.....it adds up quick in my house. Before I spend the money, I'm going to wait this time. I went hard on Vista when it first came out and have regretted it since!

My HTPC was brutal to get it to where it's at. The lack of drivers for the first 6 months was very frustrating. I'm seriously thinking of going with a Mac the next time around but a few die hard Mac guys I know have been telling me that it isn't that much better these days.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:46:22 PM »
I suspect with win 7 those needing XP compatibility will need to run it as a virtual machine. Supposedly win7 ultimate will include a copy of XP virtual, so while expensive for the "ultimate" version at least you won't need another license for XP. 'Course the fact that you have to run it in a window blows. I've played with the 32 bit version a bit and it seemed OK. I burned the DVD of the 64bit version today and will be trying it in a dual boot config on my laptop, which has 4g, so hopefully it will run OK. I too have a lot of older software, so it will be interesting to see what will run. I really don't have great hope but we'll see.

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
It will be interesting to see how successful Windows 7 is in the business market.  The company I work for would never switch from XP Pro to Vista.  Microsoft may try another power play and tell the business world it is going to stop selling/supporting XP.  That did not work the last time they tried it with Vista and I bet the business world will move slowly.  I hope Windows 7 will be a great operating system but I definitely will not move to it until I have to buy a new computer that has been optimized for it.

Ken

bacobits

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »
Same here new machine new System 7. I only have 2 Gig RAM and I just replaced my HD that went south recently.
I run Office 2003 and I aint spending more. Photshop 7 etc.
Macs are almost 2X the cost now. I used to be staunch MAC at one time.
They got enough of my money too. You can pick up a pretty nice Win doze mine for $6-800 now.

D

shep

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 12:37:13 AM »
I've never. had a crash or any problem with 7. Mind you I don't use any older programs. I put the original Beta 7000 in its own partition and then slowly populated it with the software I use. When RC ws released I simply upgraded, changing the build number. In spite of warnings from Mirosoft, all the settings and files were copied and everything worked as before (nice). There is a simple and well-known trick to fool the time bomb which is nothing more than setting the year back in the Bios. The only trouble with this is there's no way to know what consequences will appear later up the chain. Anyway for those of you who sit glowering for Vista or XP to boot up and watch it gring to a halt shutting down: My boot time with 7 is 15 seconds and shut down takes exactly 3. Mind you I have disabled ALL unnecessary services, and there are no background apps running but bare-bone stuff. I have no complaints.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:58:27 AM »
My company is still on XP waiting on Win7.  I can say from home use that Vista got much better with SP1 and now that SP2 was recently released, it's pretty solid.  Win7 is undoubtedly a better platform, but I'm thinking I'll wait until Win7 SP1 is out before I'm convinced.   

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
So what does all this mean for computer Audio ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
It means I can't run windows 7 with a Lynx L22 card at the moment... no drivers and the Vista 64bit drivers work for AES/EBU with only a couple glitches, but the analog outs are filled with drop outs, ticks, pops, screeches... on XP and Vista no such issue.  Running ASIO out via Lynx in Windows 7 I didn't notice any sound quality difference compared to Vista.... but I didn't do any really in depth tests either...

I do like the interface and speed.  It it isn't as much of a resource hog as Vista...  it auto installed device drivers for items that I had to hunt down drivers for when installing Vista.
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
Thanks for letting me know about Vista SP2. Good idea to wait for Win7SP1, but if you're stuck with Vista, initial Win7 might still be a step up.

Shane try Virtual XP. 

Also read this.... Knowing you you probably already have read it... ;)

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »
I plan on embracing Windows s7 at the end of the year, beginning of next year. I wnat a all out Notebok for my high end Audio that can also be a full HT system. Winowds 7 I am told has built in support for HD video.

So what does all this mean for computer Audio ?

charles