Author Topic: Tweaking the Hardrive  (Read 5661 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Tweaking the Hardrive
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:09:44 AM »

Has anyone tried using a powercord upgrade ? Well if you haven't do so. My screen saver is a picture of a golf driving range in Malaysia. Before I could not make out the 100 yard marker in the picture . I saw a red something NOW its clear as day. Amazing.
   The vibrapods were an improvement. So why not try brass cones. Well my little chickadees night and day. Then a maple [2" th.] plinth on isoblocks. Boys you must try this.
   The last one was using an isolation trannie [ Richard Grey ] then a monster power conditioner plugged into it. The music has more authority, air, bass, larger soundstage and overall more information.
   Try turning off the monitor as well when playing music and let us know if you hear a difference. Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

ik632

Re: Tweaking the Hardrive
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
Are you talking about upgrading power cable from surge suppressor to power supply on PC or internal wiring?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »
Are you talking about upgrading power cable from surge suppressor to power supply on PC or internal wiring?

Well thanks for posting. From the PC to power conditioner. Using a Richard Grey isolation transformer into a Monster conditioner. Was impressed with results. Then one evening plugged the very well shielded powercord from conditioner to computer. The result was much reduced noise, clearer graphics, and more information coming about from the music. Very interesting give it a try and let us know your experience.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »
I use a Virtual Dynamics Testament power cord on my custom built HTPC that is plugged into a BPT BP2.5 balanced power conditioner. I have my HTPC sitting on the top shelf of a Sanus CF-6 rack and I'm using Mapleshade Triplepoints under the HTPC. I'm also using an Audio Magic Pulse Generator ZX inside the HTPC over the CPU & next to the power supply which generates conditioning that fights EMI/RFI. :D

Cheers,
Robin

edit, nice to have met you at last week's NY RAVE Charles. :beer:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:37:31 PM by satfrat »
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:38:54 AM »
  Hey Robin,
                      Yes it was nice meeting you as well. It was a good day. It sounds like you have taken conditioning to the next level. Can you describe the benefits of before and after.
   What was the advantage of the custom computer over a dedicated laptop. thanks.

charles

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 06:29:32 AM »
A laptop is great for controlling your server via an HTML type app.  However, I'd sure not use the laptop as my point of streaming/music repository, etc.  There are just too many compromises for size with a laptop.  It's a VERY noisy environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:50:55 PM by bpape »
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline satfrat

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:12:08 AM »
  Hey Robin,
                      Yes it was nice meeting you as well. It was a good day. It sounds like you have taken conditioning to the next level. Can you describe the benefits of before and after.
   What was the advantage of the custom computer over a dedicated laptop. thanks.

charles

I've never owned a laptop so I couldn't comment but I have been told that a laptop needs to be stripped of background programs to sound good whereas I can run multiple programs, download music, etc and still listen to music w/o any problems. I use a wireless USB keyboard w/built in mouse and have a 24" LCD next to my listening chair so I would never consider a laptop for home use myself.

As to any perceived benefits from all the PC tweaks, there's nothing that really stood out Charles. :duh I can't honestly recommend any of what I've done,,,, I just like to tweak. But considering that I'm using 8 USB applications out of 5 USB ports and my music sounds incredibly good while running a boatload of programming out of a 5 year old computer, I gotta say I must be doing something right. :D

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 05:53:53 PM »
What keyboard are you using, Robin? I need a new one and I use it the same way as you.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline satfrat

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 06:09:48 PM »
I'm using a VersaPoint RF, model# VP6210 from Interlinks Electronics. It's an older keyboard but I like it's smaller footprint from a full size keyboard and the built in swivel mouse is sweet. I use 4 rechargeable AAA batteries.

Cheers,
Robin

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »
The slick thing about a laptop is that you can run it off of its battery and have a much cleaner power supply buss this in turn means a much lower level of jitter when outputting a data stream on the USB ports. How audible this is depends on your USB interface. An asynchronous USB interface into an asynchronous upsampling DAC seems to minimize the difference  between the two modes of operations.
Scotty

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
What keyboard are you using, Robin? I need a new one and I use it the same way as you.
-C

for full size keyboard, I like the Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard.  Bluetooth, thin, I like the scissor keys.  Very light and comfy to use.  Has a charging station and a charge generally lasts me 1-2 months even with daily use.  The touchpad on the keyboard isn't the easiest thing to get used to after coming from a joystick style mouse.  But it's not bad at all.... MUCH better than a certain trackball keyboard ;)

If you can work with the smaller size, I'm currently really liking the Logitech DiNovo Mini keyboard.  It's much more of a two thumb kind of deal.  The key selling point of this is that it is ridiculously tiny full keyboard and mouse in one package.  Think handheld gaming console size.  awesome if you don't want the bulk/heft of a full keyboard.  It's not as long as your Mac remote and just a touch wider.  Dell had them for like $70 after discount a couple weeks ago.  I bought two and am very happy with them so far.

you're welcome to try either to see if you like them.
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 05:53:28 AM »
This is mainly a foobar controller for me.  I add songs to playlists, play them, then navigate through them later.  I use arrow keys, would like to use page up/down, and type a letter to get to a folder.

I don't need wireless.. but I may have to consider it.  Rechargeable would be OK, though.  Tiny thumb-like keyboards won't work for me.  The one Robin has looks pretty good to me.  I saw those when I was looking last time but wasn't sure if the mouse-thing would work any better than my failing track ball.  If my trackball would work reliably, I'd keep what I have.

-C
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:55:42 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.