Author Topic: HD deal at CompUSA  (Read 4910 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: HD deal at CompUSA
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
Hah!  I saw the same thing at Newegg today for the same price w/free shipping.   Can't believe how much prices have dropped.   I picked up a couple of 1tb Samsung drives a couple weeks ago or else I would have jumped at it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:49:57 AM »
My NAS is stuffed with 250's. That's where the value was 2 years ago. I'm not sure I can ever fill that up with 750GB of music?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:57:45 AM »
You can.  ;)

BTW, I have a 1TB Seagate that thunks.  Is that normal?  It sounds like someone's playing basketball outside or in the distance... thunk.... thunk-thunk......... thunk... This wouldn't work in the soundroom.  It's a nice, deep thunk like nothing I've ever heard from a HD.

I was thinking of buying the 1.5 and copying over the data from the 1.. then I could send in the 1 for warranty.  But, if they all thunk now I won't.  Thanks for any thoughts.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »
You can.  ;)

BTW, I have a 1TB Seagate that thunks.  Is that normal? 

No it's not. I had a Seagate Barracuda 500Gb that was doing that and I send it back to Seagate for replacement.

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 08:01:22 AM »
Carl-if your drive is still able to transfer data off I suggest you handle it with kid gloves and get the data off ASAP, like yesterday!!! If you are able to transfer all the data consider yourself lucky and take an immediate trip to Vegas to capitalize on that run of luck!!! Clunking noises are the precursor to HD death! Colud die tomorrow or last a year but it is a sign something is wrong.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »
Thanks! I'll get the 1.5 for now and then warranty the thunker.  It's not like a pop or loud chatter, it's a genuine thunk... and it's not a particular rhythm... but it does it more when in use.  I just thought it was normal operation.  It's fairly new so should be in warranty.

Thanks again and Happy New Year! :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

ik632

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »
I'm considering getting 2 of these for a new server, but the reviews are hit and miss. Apparently the CompUSA/TigerDirect ones are OEM and there seams to be a few batches with issues. I guess I could just purchase and let them run for a week or two just to "settle in" before putting any data on them.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »
I did buy a pair for a Dlink NAS for a client and one was DOA. I think they were 500MB 7200.11s. NewEgg handled it painlessly of course.

Audio server Nick?

ik632

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »
Yeah, a new backup/audio server. I'm going to retire the current audio server and move my active data to the new server using the old NAS for backup only. This will also let me retire a 400 watt machine and replace it with a sub 200 watt box.