Author Topic: Zodiac+ DAC with Voltikus Power Supply  (Read 3737 times)

Bigfish8

Zodiac+ DAC with Voltikus Power Supply
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »
Gents:

I have owned a Zodiac+ DAC with and used it with the standard switching power supply since early this year.  Antelope introduced the Zodiac Gold DAC and Voltikus Linear Power Supply this spring.  Shane, our local HiFi Dealer allowed me to borrow the Voltikus Power Supply yesterday to evaluate with the Zodiac+.  The Zodiac+ with the standard switching power supply is extremely detailed but just a little lean in the midrange when connected direct to the amp (my preferred connection).  When I first connected the Voltikus, after listening for awhile this morning with the stock power supply, I just went "Oh Wow."  The music exhibited a warmer, tube-like, presentation and was extremely refined.  The transition was nothing short of amazing and my wife (who does not like to admit to hearing differences with audio gear) made a comment that she much preferred the sound with the Voltikus.

After experiencing the Zodiac+ with the Voltikus I have to it in my system.  Shane, just thing cha ching!

Ken

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Zodiac+ DAC with Voltikus Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:58:07 PM »
Ken, don't you hate it when he's right like that, although it doesn't surprise me since  I hear the same kind of differeences when comparing the upgraded BolderCable  supply to the stock wall wart on my Mensa Modded Art DI/O.

Enjoy the new toy!
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »
Better and better Ken!!  Congrats on another step up the ladder.

Glad you're finding some time to listen and screw around with audio.

Bigfish8

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 05:20:09 AM »
Better and better Ken!!  Congrats on another step up the ladder.

Glad you're finding some time to listen and screw around with audio.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  It was just fun to be in Raleigh for a weekend compliments of having to pick-up my mom's zero turn lawnmower from the repair shop.  Shane had been offering me the opportunity to demo the Voltikus Power Supply for a few weeks but my schedule did not allow me to pick it up.  He also loaned me the Zodiac Gold Dac and some new JPS USB Cables (one was an SC3 edition).  My Mac Mini does not react well to things being plugged and unplugged so I got frustrated and gave up on auditioning the Gold and Cables.  I just enjoyed the Zodiac+ with the new power supply.  It is truly very very good!

Ken

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »
I'm glad it worked for you Ken..... I still haven't listened to it beyond half of a song...  I've had it playing 24/7 for a few weeks trying to break it in....  sounds like it is coming around....

we can take a look at the other stuff when I bring the TV by this afternoon...  not that I'm trying to corrupt you or anything :)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »
Shane came by this evening and we experimented with the stock versus Voltikus Power Supplies.  We also had the opportunity to compare a brand new JPS SC3 USB cable versus my Db Audio Labs USB Cable.  Hopefully Shane will comment as while he was here he commented about the significant improvement made by the Voltikus.  

The JPS SC3 USB cable delivered the clear, detailed sound we locals love about the purple wires.  The soundstage was a little compressed but I expect this will improve after the cable is allowed a break-in period.

Shane, thanks for coming and delivering the TV.  I really hated to see you leave with those fantastic toys!

Ken