Author Topic: Tweakarama Syndrome  (Read 8882 times)

Phil

Re: Tweakarama Syndrome
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 02:18:08 PM »
Best latest:  Alan Maher's Power Enhancers (http://alanmaherdesigns.com/PE.aspx).  I'm using three:  one in each dedicated outlet and one in my equi=tech balanced power unit.  Even though I had the dedicated outlets and the equi=tech (which makes a large difference with digital), something was finding its way into my systema and causing fatigue.

The PEs removed the noise and I'm a happy camper again!

Weirdest:  A one-pound diving weight on top of my cpd (and aurios beneath).  Probably not that weird, but it IS weird that I tried different amount of weight and heard a difference. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »
WEEZ, Robert Lee was talking about that at RMAF last year, about solid wall rack between speakers acting as a reflective surface and screwing up the soundstage. He was using Grand Prix rack which is pretty open, he said that has little effect. The solid side walls are the culprit. 

WEEZ

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 03:27:52 PM »
I have no reason to doubt that, Rich. But I can guarantee that when there is 'nothing' between the speakers (or if something, at least down low enough...below the mid's and tweets') will be best. My rack is open front, back, and sides...and still it sits off to the side. I tried it in between. Moved it.

Downside?...longer speaker cables. But with a ss amp..there is enough damping to make long cables moot. If using tubed amps; put the amps near the speakers (on the floor) and use longer IC's from the pre-amp.

Speaker placement is time consuming to get right. But it's 'free'. :) Makes for a bigger improvement than wires; cable elevators; tube swaps; or even Nathanm's sonic rocks :lol:.

I've been at this a long time. For those who haven't done it yet...move the TV if you're serious about 2-channel music reproduction and play with speaker placement.  Otherwise, tweak yourself to death with wires and shit, but you're destined to be frustrated. And broke.  #-o

But, back to tweaks....

WEEZ

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:50 PM »
Ever have the problem of voices sounding muffled? In at least two locations, and multiple speakers, I have measured, the response around 200 - 300 hz to be high.

Simply raise the speaker off the floor approx 4-11 inches. This will lower the output in that frequency range between a couple of db  and around 6db. It can become too thin if the speakers are raised too high.

I settled on a 4 inch dressed up concrete block to solve the problem. Response is almost perfectly flat.

To tighten the bass, I have two bags of lead pellets I purchased at the local gun shop. Cost is around $12.00 each. I set each bag on top of each speaker. I am sure there are other means of absorbing vibrations.

Hope this helps.

Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 10:09:20 PM »
Best latest:  Alan Maher's Power Enhancers (http://alanmaherdesigns.com/PE.aspx).  I'm using three:  one in each dedicated outlet and one in my equi=tech balanced power unit.  Even though I had the dedicated outlets and the equi=tech (which makes a large difference with digital), something was finding its way into my systema and causing fatigue.

The PEs removed the noise and I'm a happy camper again!

Weirdest:  A one-pound diving weight on top of my cpd (and aurios beneath).  Probably not that weird, but it IS weird that I tried different amount of weight and heard a difference. 

Thanks for the tip on the PE's. I used to have the Audio Prism Quiet Lines and really liked the result. Did sell them a few years ago after I tired of having a dozen or more plugged in. I might try  a few of the basic PE's for $75  each
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 06:28:11 AM »
hartwerger,

You are correct for both reasons you mention. :)

Even a tall equipment rack between the speakers messes with imaging and soundstaging. I choose to have the equipment rack off to the side, 'cause my wife would sell 'me' if I had all my gear on floor platforms :-s

WEEZ

I agree with this in spades. If at all possible with your set up clear all obstructions from between your speakers. Move that TV or at least turn it off as well as the DVD player and cable box. If you cannot move it then cover the screen with a blanket or something. Bpape any suggestions?
   I will also agree that cleaning the contacts may not qualify as a tweak so we will consider this a must do common sense thing.

rollo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:48:20 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

miklorsmith

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 07:29:38 AM »
Too bad for me!  I have a TV AND equipment rack between the speakers.  Good thing I don't care much about imaging I guess.  The setup won't change, the room is big but it lays itself out - not much flexibility.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 08:37:06 AM »
Well, I'm adding another system in my living room.  It will have a rack (very low and wide) and a flatscreen LCD on it (but the screen will be probably 2' behind the face of the speaker - maybe 6-8" from the wall.  In a setup like this, from an acoustical standpoint, it won't act any different than the wall.  The electrical field interactions may be a different story.

Is it better to have nothing - sure.  Is it realistic in many rooms - nope. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

jrebman

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 09:16:07 AM »
Brian,

That sounds very similar to what my new arrangement will be like.  And yes, it is the best possible compromise in the space I have.  Anything better would require a new house. :D

-- Jim

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 09:29:25 AM »
Until now cleaning contacts seemed like a tweek to me, but several people I know who care about sound quality has a can of caig lying around in full sight at all times, so I guess it is not a tweek, but just regular "hygiene?"  :lol: Cleaning and contact enhancing, I gotta try that, especially with Grover pure silver connectors which will tarnish over time.

My cabinet is low profile too. Imaging and soundstage are much better than when I had big wooden shelf cabinets for rack.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 02:15:41 PM »
I plan on applying SST to the Grover ICs I'd ordered. The Walker product works great with my gear.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 07:53:20 AM »
I have no reason to doubt that, Rich. But I can guarantee that when there is 'nothing' between the speakers (or if something, at least down low enough...below the mid's and tweets') will be best. My rack is open front, back, and sides...and still it sits off to the side. I tried it in between. Moved it.

Downside?...longer speaker cables. But with a ss amp..there is enough damping to make long cables moot. If using tubed amps; put the amps near the speakers (on the floor) and use longer IC's from the pre-amp.

Speaker placement is time consuming to get right. But it's 'free'. :) Makes for a bigger improvement than wires; cable elevators; tube swaps; or even Nathanm's sonic rocks :lol:.

I've been at this a long time. For those who haven't done it yet...move the TV if you're serious about 2-channel music reproduction and play with speaker placement.  Otherwise, tweak yourself to death with wires and shit, but you're destined to be frustrated. And broke.  #-o

But, back to tweaks....

WEEZ

Weez,

Spot on man. Could not have said it better myself. Move that speaker an inch and its a different ball game. Unless the speakers are properly placed your pissing in the wind. First things first. Once the basics are secure then tweak to your hearts content. If you must.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.