Author Topic: Tweakarama Syndrome  (Read 8883 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Tweakarama Syndrome
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:23:41 AM »
What is the most affective tweak you have found and why. Whats the weirdest thing you have tried? Wether it be homemade or store bought. Don't be afraid to say what it is no matter how silly if it had good results. C'mon guys I know you all did some silly shit.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Tweakarama Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Weirdest - hanging a shelf from chains and springs for my turntable.

Most effective - cleaning all electrical contacts.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »
Weirdest - cleaning out my ears every 6 months. Protecting my hearing at racetracks and concerts.
Most effective - going to bed early helps me to concentrate and enjoy the music more. But system sounds best when house is quiet late at night   :-|

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:48:51 AM »
I'll agree with Bryan...cleaning jacks/contacts periodically is cheap. And effective.

As is an ear cleaning...good one Rich! Decent isolation for sources is cheap and effective too.

For the most part, though, I don't believe in fairy dust, much.

WEEZ

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »
Where's Gooberdude when you need him?  I used to do all sorts of stuff, isolation rollers, Dynamat and blutack everywhere, Walker SST, and anything else I could get my hands on.  I swore it helped the sound but it's very hard to know and I'm not interested in swapping back and forth to really try to figure it out.  Now, I have some sorbothane pucks that go under tube gear especially and that's about it.

Do room treatments count as tweaks?  If so, they have to go straight to the top of the list.  Too bad they're so hard to optimize.

Also EQ, especially in the bass.  Without it, nearly every system has At Least 10 db swings through the bass range.  Inguz has a very cool quasi-parametric EQ function that I really like.  Having frequency balance directed solely by the speaker/room interface is like doing surgery with a butter knife.  People go through amps especially but all sorts of components and wires trying to get things to gel properly.  If everyone had access to an effective and transparent EQ, I believe much of this agonizing would go away.

hartwerger

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
I'm a pretty big fan of Herbies Audio Lab stuff.  Admittedly, not every Herbie product has worked as well as others and some seem to be component dependent.   But, some of Herbies products made dramatic differences. 

Herbies products that I liked:  1) Iso Cups.  Really liked them with the standard hardballs at first, but then went crazy and tried one of the Gabon Gyros which were expensive at $35 a pop.  I tried only one in the beginning and liked it so much that I had to have two more to put under my amp.  No single tweak that I've tried increased the holography and 3-d imaging as much as those darn Gabon Gryos.  I tried taking them out once and put the standard balls back in.   Ugh.  I couldn't live without those Gyros.    The use of the Gabon does tend to emphasize the high end a bit, so its not the best match for every system (what is?).  Herbie is offering some new Gyro ball, but I haven't tried them so I have no idea how they compare.  2) The Tenderfeet.  I'm more of a fan of his older smaller footers than the newer ones, but the newer ones worked well under my turntable.  3) Sonic Stabilizers.  I was amazed that these did anything at all, but they do.  Very component and placement dependent.  They seemed to not only do what many isolation devices do, ie., add clarity and sharpness, but they also altered the tone by making it fuller and richer.  4) The Hal O tube dampers.   Also depends on the model/material that I've used and where its used.  Adding the dampers to the tubes in my phonostage yielded tremendous results.  Also got great results on the input/driver tubes on my amp.   With most other places, the results weren't as noticeable, but there was nothing negative either.

I didn't care for the Herbies record clamp/stablilzer on my Rega turntable.  Made the sound muddy and messy.  That well could be a Rega issue as there seems to be a consensus that Regas don't fair well with clamps.  Fortunately, the clamp can also be used exactly like the Sonic Stabilizers so it ended up being a gain, just not for my turntable. 

The CD mats, including the Black Hole, was the weirdest.  They really do work, and I don't know how or why.   Quite subjective as to whether using them is an improvement or not.  I loved the mats at first, but later decided that the sound wasn't my cup of tea.   Hard to explain why, but I felt I was losing some dynamics and high frequencies.  Others have liked them and continue to use them so this well could be system matching or personal taste.

Hate to sound like an ad for Herbies products, but his 90 day return policy is so great and hassle free that you can't go wrong trying anything he sells.  The worst that can happen is you lose a couple of bucks for the shipping.   Plus, Steve is just a super nice guy and generally gives sound recommendations and advice if needed. 

Anyway, I thought this was going to be a short post of me just saying that I liked the Herbies tweaks.  Man, am I long winded. 

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 05:58:36 PM »
Best tweak - Walker SST, hands down. Next in line is the Pete Riggle VTAF for my Rega P25. I also have access to plenty of free granite slabs, which helps my components in various ways. YMMV.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:01:40 PM »
Man, am I long winded. 

Not to worry hartwerger. Let it all out! Thanks for the nice review of the Herbies stuff. '1000a' over on AC also loves the tube dampers and has recommended I try them, which I probably will at some point.
Welcome to AN, glad to have you onboard.
Rich
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:34:18 AM by richidoo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 07:28:20 AM »
   Now were talking. I must confess the weirdest tweak was hanging all my cables from the clg. with string to 12" off the floor. Looked like shit but was very affective yierlding clarity, focus and articulate bass. Thanks to Gooberdude I tried placing 2 albums in their cover under my power supplies for the preamp. I'll be damned quite interesting. This tweak works. Just tightened everything up. More information with pristene top end.
   The most affective though as Banape stated was cleaning the connectors. I use Progold every month and can certainly hear a difference. Next up is the CD lathe and Stoplight.
     As far as isolation footers the MapleShade Iso Blocks work well for isolation under a wood plinth, especially Spruce, coated with Violin Varnish Ala Altman.Never liked the ball bearing isolators as they appeared to brighten up everything.
      My rule of thumb is if I hear an improvement it stays, if not it goes. Ther are no absolutes in tweakdom as all are system dependent. Everything changes your sound. So I fathom its system tuning we are doing in some way.
      Last if you do not have the time to listen to the tweak correctly you are wasting your time. Listen to a track on repeat for a 30 second duration over and over until you are familiar with the music then remove tweak and listen again. You will hear a difference. Wether you like it or not depends on the synergy with your system. Noty everything works as advertised or at least to the degree it can in another application or system. I use general parameters of the said tweak for the application and listen to hear a difference.

rollo

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

WEEZ

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
I don't know if this can be considered a 'tweak' or not; but if you haven't already done so...move that TV out from in-between your speakers. Preferably to another room. If that's not possible, then sell it. :lol:

WEEZ

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Best tweak - Walker SST, hands down. Next in line is the Pete Riggle VTAF for my Rega P25. I also have access to plenty of free granite slabs, which helps my components in various ways. YMMV.
Not sure if you consider this a tweak - I had dedicated 20A lines run to my system. Effect was immediately gratifying. :mrgreen:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

shep

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 10:21:07 PM »
Contact cleaning definately but it doesn't really qualify as a tweak but as common sense. Getting the polarity right on the acplugs (I have a 30 year old thing made by Nakamishi athat does this). Source; deadening the case of the CDP, replacing the metal panels with wood, putting it on layers of paper or cardboard (was this Gobberdude?) Listening thru the static of expectancy in my head! That's the ultimate tweak!

hartwerger

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 10:06:04 AM »
I wanted to add to Weez's comments about the TV.  No doubt, Weez meant it from a room acoustic perspective and that a TV's screen exhibits much reflection of the soundwaves, but I'll take it from another angle and that is possible RF/EMI problems a TV with a remote control sensor (the remote sensor is still on and active even if the television is off) can cause.  Although my TV is an antique, 15 year old 27" Sony, it does have a remote control sensor and its plugged into an outlet that I know to be on the same running circuit my audio equipment is plugged into.  As an experiment, I unplugged the TV and not only got a clearer, cleaner sound with more audible detail, but the soundstage surprisingly got deeper.  Of course, these improvements are subtle and certainly could be in my head, but there was an occassion where I left it unplugged and left it that way over night.  I'd completely forgotten it was unplugged.  I remember listening to my system and thinking that everything was sound unusually pleasant.  After I stopped listening, about an hour later, my kid came running to me telling me the TV was broken.  It was then that I remember I unplugged it the night before.  This certainly doesn't prove that there isn't a psychoacoustic phenomenon at work, but I don't always unplug the television and I generally can tell the difference.  Any electronic component that has a remote control sensor can attract RF/EMI which can effect the sound if its on the same circuit as your audio equipment.

In support of Weez's perspective on the acoustic effects a TV's reflective surface can have, I've also experimented with covering the TV's screen with a blanket.  The difference is dramatic.  Since the blanket absorbstion is not broadband, and only attenuated high frequencies, it was not a suitable remedy for the television's reflective screen, but it did show to me just how much an effect the reflective surface was having on the sound.  Removing the TV from the room is not possible in my home.   My family would probably sell me before allowing me to sell the TV.  So, the TV is just one of those compromises I have to live with in my shared listening room with my family.   

jrebman

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 12:53:39 PM »
Contact cleaning, IMO, is just a must-do, so not really sure if it qualifies as a tweak.

Walker eSST is just amazing -- I once put it on the tube pins of my Wave-8s and the tube rush dropped at least 10dB -- no BS, the change was unbelievable.

Another new isolation product I'm currently testing out are the HRS (Harmonic Resolution Systems) Nimbus footers, which consist of 2 custom polymer pucks with a machined billet aluminum spacer between.  I put a set of 3 under my Denon 3910 and the improvement was across the board, but eespecially noticeable was thesmoother, much deeper, and much more focused bass, and cleaner, more transparent mids and highs with noticeably reduced glare.

Right now I can't think of anything totally off the wall, but I do have a pair of Walker Reference High Definition Links that will go on the Adagios once they are in their new place, so we'll see...

In the office system (when it existed) the addition of the baby Mapleshade rack made a big improvement, and the combination of Mapleshade Heavy Carpet Piercing heavyfeet, 4" thick timbernation blocks (12" x 17") and a set of Mapleshade Ultimate Triplepoints under my Omega Revolutions completely transformed the sound of them (for the better.)

-- Jim

WEEZ

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 01:06:26 PM »
hartwerger,

You are correct for both reasons you mention. :)

Even a tall equipment rack between the speakers messes with imaging and soundstaging. I choose to have the equipment rack off to the side, 'cause my wife would sell 'me' if I had all my gear on floor platforms :-s

WEEZ