Author Topic: Boutique Record Labels  (Read 9478 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Boutique Record Labels
« on: March 18, 2015, 04:03:16 PM »
Now that I have my recently purchased VPI up and running thanks to TMAZZ!! I am working on expanding my record collection. I remember there are some premium brands of LP's that are available but forget the names. Names anyone?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Boutique Record Labels
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »
MoFo, uhmmnnn... I mean MoFi :rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:25:08 PM »
MoFo, uhmmnnn... I mean MoFi :rofl:

SN

I was never to thrilled with the sound of Mobile Fidelity.  :(
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:46:16 PM »
Me neither, nor their CDs.

RR has good mix and good recording, but weird exaggerated sound stage for orchestras, at least. But it's still awesome. They have some vinyl now, but you still can't be sure if it's quiet, no matter how expensive.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:19:36 PM »
Windham Hill made some really nice vinyl
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 04:39:06 AM »
Check out the ECM label.
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 05:00:59 AM »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:27:37 AM »
most anything on Pablo, and ECM - for jazz
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:18:22 AM »
Acoustic Sounds has the best reissues IMO. They also carry other fine labels. Get their catalog.
  Acoustic Sounds 45RPM reissues are off the charts. Not cheap but worth every penny IMO.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:25:37 AM »
There was an article on one company, i forget where I read it but they do a limited run where each LP is serialized and the manufacturing process is really very good (classic records?)

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
There was an article on one company, i forget where I read it but they do a limited run where each LP is serialized and the manufacturing process is really very good (classic records?)

Maybe it was this site?

https://feedbands.com/

Their vinyl is pressed really well and with all sorts of different colors. They have a limited # of each record pressed each month.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »

The original Classic Records company is no longer, but Chad at Acoustic Sounds bought up their licence rights and is now producing (at least) RCA Living Stereo classical LPs out of his QRP plant. I only have one of the new series (The Rhapsody in Blue that I picked up from Chad's table at the Brooklyn show last fall) and i have to say that it is outstanding. He is also reissuing a few of the Mercury Living Presence line as well.

As for MoFi, keep in mind that the MoFi of today is not the same company as the MoFi of the 80s. In November 1999 MFSL was forced to close up shop after it was unable to collect a large sum of money and product upon the bankruptcy of one of its biggest distributors.  In 2001 the company's assets were acquired by Music Direct, who now owns rights to the technology used in the proprietary mastering chain and all intellectual property owned by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab. I have not purchased any of the LPs put out by the "new" MoFi, but Music Direct did put out the 180g LP version of Glenn Frey's last album and I was very impressed with that. They did recently come out with another line of MoFi LPs called the silver series which is supposed to be a somewhat lesser quality LP for a lower price than the full MoFi albums. I picked one of these up at PREX and I have to say I was very unimpressed. Since it was only one album I cannot really say if it was the fault of the pressing or just not a very well recorded album for the beginning, but either was I would tread carefully with this series.

Other than Classic and MoFi there are still a number of other labels putting out high quality reissues. At the top of that list would be Chads original Analogue Productions label. I have quit a few of these and cannot say I ever got a bad one  (although there are some who would disagree, but maybe I just got lucky). In addition to Classical reissues Chad has also been doing a lot of golden age jazz (Blue Note ET al) as well as some blues and popular records in both 33 and 45 RPM versions (although not both speeds for everything). Here are a few other labels of note:

FIM (First Impressions Music) -0 200g flat profile;e UHQR type LPs. A bit pricey, but very well done.

Reference Recordings: Some of Keith Johnson's albums are again being released on vinyl. I recently picked up a 45 rpm 2 LP version of Mephisto and Co. (which also was pressed at QRP) and found it to be outstanding.

Speakers Corner, Music Matters and Four Men with Beards also all have good reputations.

I have never been a big fan of the Columbia Half Speed Mastered series. But this should not be a big surprise to anyone as I have never been a big fan of Columbia records, period. I usually find their arrangements to be much too over produced. And because of the artists that Columbia had in their stable, their HSM albums send to carry a higher price tag than most for an LP whose sound is only marginally better than the original issue from a SQ .for the most part not worth the asking prices IMO. However, if I found one in the dollar bin or at a garage sale I certainly would not walk away from it.  :D

These are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. If anyone else has some other audiophile record company pics or pans, by all mean, jump on in.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »
check out ORG...great recordings at 45...and expensive, but gorgeous stuff
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
ORG looks good. But the brand I am thinking of is mostly classical music if I remember. grrrrr I hate when this happens  :duh

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 03:23:08 AM »
mercury living presence....?
Argo
Archiv
DG
EMI
Harmoni Mundi
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.