Author Topic: BS Meter  (Read 8921 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
BS Meter
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »
   We all have our limit to BS in our hobby. What makes your BS meter go off ? Be kind but don't hold back.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: BS Meter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
Hmm. Off the top of my head...

Anything written by Dakiom, Coconut Audio or the maker/seller of Tri-Phazer products.

The main thing that makes my BS meter go off, :roll: or just plain annoy me are the reviews/threads that extol the sonic benefit of changing their existing outlet wallplate cover to those fancy carbon fiber type covers that are over $85. How does a cover change/improve sonics of a system? Your outlets vibrate so much and it impacts your equipment. C'mon man.

The rest.

WA Quantum Chips.

A sticker on my gear is supposed to improve sound. I just can't believe it. It is BS to me. I wonder if anyone has put these chips under a microscope to see what is on them

Audio Magic Liquid Treated fuses and other big big dollar fuses.

I just can't wrap my head around this stuff either. I can believe in cleaning the fuse contacts or contacts in general but a big dollar fuse is going to take a system to a whole new level.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone who has these tweaks but I just can't believe they make that much of an improvement to a system if any. I haven't tried these tweaks because I can't get myself to just fork over hard earned cash to try this stuff.
I'd rather use that money to buy music or other gear to try.

Can't wait to hear what others have to share.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:41:43 AM by sleepyguy24 »

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
White papers.
Scotty

DaveC

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »
Passive "tuning" devices that sit in the room somewhere. 

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
the use of the word "Quantum"
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
I heard of some amp somewhere that came in two versions - a normal and 'prestige' version.  They were exactly the same except one was literally hand polished by monks.  Guess which one everyone wanted?  You were poo-pooed if you got the normal version.

Sonic rocks you put around the room to improve sound.  James Randini evidently had a field day with that one and it even moved into areas we all know do make a difference such as cables.

Cable rises made out of some expensive stuff dug up somewhere and reported to make night and day differences compared to some plastic do-hickeys that did exactly the same thing.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:59:25 PM by bhobba »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:22:36 AM »
the use of the word "Quantum"

+1 on this.  When I see a psuedo description of how a product works that also includes the word "Quantum", I feel there should be a footnote that says "Fools and their money welcome!"

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:05:02 AM »
    "It is the  best **** in the world " Or "blows away" So I guess it is the verbage used. I say everything is just different.
    When I go to a show and the demonstrator says it needs time to break in. BREAK IT IN BEFORE THE SHOW.  Or the room sucks, DUH.
    Last but not least all sounds the same, oye !

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline JLM

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:35:45 AM »
    "It is the  best **** in the world " Or "blows away" So I guess it is the verbage used. I say everything is just different.
    When I go to a show and the demonstrator says it needs time to break in. BREAK IT IN BEFORE THE SHOW.  Or the room sucks, DUH.

charles

Conversely, when the ad/person states, "Only ***** can provide the best ....". 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:04:01 AM »

charles

Conversely, when the ad/person states, "Only ***** can provide the best ....". 

Absolutely, there is no best just different.

charles

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Here you go.....

http://www.blablameter.com/ ....  :rofl:

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »
Fascinating little site. I wonder what sort of language sets it off. I can't figure out if specific words might set it off or if is looking for internal inconsistencies in groups of sentences and works off of context.
Scotty

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »
I agree the site is pretty interesting and I wonder as well what key words it goes by.

As a test I put in some review text from 6Moons as well as Stereomojo. That blablameter page interpreted it as having very little BS.

I then put in the description of one of the power filters I bought and it returned this message:

Bullshit Index :0.42
Something's getting a bit fishy. You probably want to sell something, or you're trying to impress somebody. It still may be an acceptable result for a scientific text.

Very interesting.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »
Here you go.....

http://www.blablameter.com/ ....  :rofl:

Chris what a cool site.

charles

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 06:52:17 PM »
Anytime the use of hyperbole is used, my eyes glaze over.

I know I was guilty of it early in my days in this hobby. But when a company uses it, the BS meter pegs in the red.
I was a noob, that's my excuse. Those "in the industry" shouldn't use such tactics.

Bob