Author Topic: outboard xovers  (Read 2990 times)

henrylr

outboard xovers
« on: May 10, 2015, 05:51:17 AM »
Hi all,

New member here. I’ve built two sets of outboard crossovers, one for Sound Dynamics 300Ti and a second for B&W P6, and the improvements were great. I’m now designing a set for B&W N803. I from the school of “simple is better” so I plan to use a reduced number of components, compared to the B&W site pdf file, primarily for the FST mid range driver. Has anyone built xovers for these speakers or have any recommendations or thoughts?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: outboard xovers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »
Hi Henry,

All speaker tweakers are welcome here!!   :thumb:

I recommend using large gage air core inductors, especially on woofer LP filters, but even on tweeters too. North Creek is a good source for very large gage, even 8ga! I have 10ga coils on my 6" woofers, awesome clarity and dynamics!

I just saw North Creek's B&W XO upgrade kits. Check out the huge coils!
http://www.northcreekmusic.com/B-W_Crossovers/b-w_crossovers.html

Too much simplicity is just as bad as not enough. The OEM engineers have already tried to simplify to the max. They choose less expensive drivers knowing they can cure warts harmlessly in the XO. If you take out their cures you will still have the warts. But I understand that the attraction of better transient response (more detail) from simpler XO is more musically engaging than flat FR. Some people can tolerate FR aberrations in exchange for more "life" while others want flat FR above all for "accurate tone."  The best speakers can do both, with quality drivers, simple XOs, large boxes, large coils, and high prices. ;)

Welcome to AudioNervosa!
Rich
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:49:14 AM by richidoo »

henrylr

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 01:19:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think the b&w n803 have good drivers but use cheap xover components such as electrolytic caps, very thin wire inductors, some with iron cores, and poor spacing and positioning. The wire, connectors and binding posts, could also benefit from improvement. I've seen the xovers and parts lists on their web site and in my own speakers.

The nautilus diamond series seems to have addressed most of the issues.  They have simplified the xovers and reduced the number of caps and resistors. I would appreciate any thoughts on this topic.

Thans,
henrylr

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
Welcome aboard Henry!  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:37:17 AM »
   The best B&W outboard crossover I ever heard was designed by Larry Smith. Used Goertz air core inductors. the traces were Goertz silver flat wire. Caps were from southern Electric polystyrene.
   As long as one can tame that beaming tweeter you got it in spades. Have fun and again welcome aboard.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.