Author Topic: Pray for Rollo  (Read 17230 times)

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Pray for Rollo
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »
I guess you could pack the walls with insulation to help dampen any ringing that might occur, but in a basement wall that could be a recipe for disaster with dampness and mold. Charles, I suppose you will be wire brushing the concrete to remove all traces of mold or decay and applying a waterproofing barrier of some sort over the concrete, maybe a moisture paint? Perhaps you could wrap the metal studs with something before constructing the wall support.

Yes Bob all cleaned. Now scrape walls and apply Thoro-Seal to foundation walls. The metal studs will not ring 12"OC and will be grounded as well.  There will be rigid foam foam insulation stuffed in between studs. Two layer 5/8" SR over studs. Floor is Concrete. So a vapor barrier, then masonite then pad and wool carpet. Clg will be open wood rafters. At rear of room a open stair with treads only on a center support which will act as a difussor.

charles

Really excellent progress, Charles. Will you be able to duplicate acoustically what you had before or will you need to use a mic and software to fine tune things?

Once constructed a Spectrum analyzer will be used. Then tame any dips or bumps with acoustic treatments. The key in any room is having a speaker that compliments the room size. So many use a speaker that is too large. Most likely Qln Prestige 3. Liking the Von Langa lline as well.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2021, 09:48:50 AM »
Nice Bunker...er listening room  8)

Both .

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2021, 10:50:22 AM »
I guess you could pack the walls with insulation to help dampen any ringing that might occur, but in a basement wall that could be a recipe for disaster with dampness and mold. Charles, I suppose you will be wire brushing the concrete to remove all traces of mold or decay and applying a waterproofing barrier of some sort over the concrete, maybe a moisture paint? Perhaps you could wrap the metal studs with something before constructing the wall support.

Yes Bob all cleaned. Now scrape walls and apply Thoro-Seal to foundation walls. The metal studs will not ring 12"OC and will be grounded as well.  There will be rigid foam foam insulation stuffed in between studs. Two layer 5/8" SR over studs. Floor is Concrete. So a vapor barrier, then masonite then pad and wool carpet. Clg will be open wood rafters. At rear of room a open stair with treads only on a center support which will act as a difussor.

charles

Really excellent progress, Charles. Will you be able to duplicate acoustically what you had before or will you need to use a mic and software to fine tune things?

Once constructed a Spectrum analyzer will be used. Then tame any dips or bumps with acoustic treatments. The key in any room is having a speaker that compliments the room size. So many use a speaker that is too large. Most likely Qln Prestige 3. Liking the Von Langa lline as well.

charles

Thanks, Charles. Do let us know what speakers you choose. Had not heard of Von Langa, so here’s a link for those interested
https://wolfvonlanga.com/
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2021, 11:07:18 AM »
Great progress, Charles.  The 12" OC stud spacing is a great way to get those walls stiff and the open rafters are perfect for ceiling refelction control.  For the ceiling first  reflection point, angling rigid FG board (703 or ductboard) with the low point away from the speakers between the rafters is a killer way to control reflections.

You can also use the spaces between the rafters to build 1/4 wave bass traps to control the room modes.  Open rafters rock!

You are doing a very good thing here!   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2021, 07:26:40 PM »
Charles

The Prestige 3 seems like a great choice.  I have been looking long and hard at both them and the Prestige 5 for a few months now even though I have no need for new speakers at either house.  Dave McNair's recently released review of the Prestige 5 last Friday is making it harder to resist. For those who haven't seen or read the review.  Dave loves them with Frank's newest mono block amps. 

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/10/08/qln-prestige-five-loudspeaker-review/

JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2021, 11:05:46 PM »
Charles

The Prestige 3 seems like a great choice.  I have been looking long and hard at both them and the Prestige 5 for a few months now even though I have no need for new speakers at either house.  Dave McNair's recently released review of the Prestige 5 last Friday is making it harder to resist. For those who haven't seen or read the review.  Dave loves them with Frank's newest mono block amps. 

Thanks for posting, Jack. Hadn’t read that one yet. I enjoy reading PTA including Dave’s reviews.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2021, 11:29:47 AM »
Charles

I am a Qln dealer. We have a pair of Prestige 3 using Lamm Electronics in our Astoria listening room. Superb sound.

charles

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2021, 05:53:12 PM »
Oh, I'm aware.  So far I am showing restraint and really need to sell about four other pair at least. How long that lasts time will tell.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2021, 11:30:51 PM »
Oh, I'm aware.  So far I am showing restraint and really need to sell about four other pair at least. How long that lasts time will tell.

Jack,
Just wonderin’…. as to the Qln, would you be leaning toward the 3 or the 5??
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
Nick

If I knew that their final resting place was going to be then the 5's would be the choice.  Based on Dave's review though they might over power both rooms at both current houses thought it's not my intention that either house will be then end of the line.  I have time though to figure it out.
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2021, 05:49:45 PM »
Nick

If I knew that their final resting place was going to be then the 5's would be the choice.  Based on Dave's review though they might over power both rooms at both current houses thought it's not my intention that either house will be then end of the line.  I have time though to figure it out.

OK, Jack. Fortunately, I’ve always had very adequately sized rooms over the years.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2021, 06:11:09 PM »
Nick

The 5"s in addition to being double rear ported are themselves 24 inches deep so a starting point would have the front of the speakers 48" into the room.  As they are both dedicated rooms I can manage that as no one else really goes in either room and they are no visible to rest of the house's general living area.  What concerns me would be the distance to the sidewalls which would be between 2-2 1/2 feet. They are not at all under consideration for the house in Florida as that would eventually just result in a multi-state move.  So the questions are concerning the current SC room or a future room. If like me you've seen all the pictures on various forums of the "giant" speakers crammed in to what look like spare bedrooms then I guess anything is possible if you want it to be. The current room in SC is pretty much the same size as the room Charles is re-building.  I've got time to see how it shakes out plus the Verity Otello's and Nola KO's sitting in Florida are pretty good speakers in there own right. 
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2021, 10:14:29 PM »
Nick

The 5"s in addition to being double rear ported are themselves 24 inches deep so a starting point would have the front of the speakers 48" into the room.  As they are both dedicated rooms I can manage that as no one else really goes in either room and they are no visible to rest of the house's general living area.  What concerns me would be the distance to the sidewalls which would be between 2-2 1/2 feet. They are not at all under consideration for the house in Florida as that would eventually just result in a multi-state move.  So the questions are concerning the current SC room or a future room. If like me you've seen all the pictures on various forums of the "giant" speakers crammed in to what look like spare bedrooms then I guess anything is possible if you want it to be. The current room in SC is pretty much the same size as the room Charles is re-building.  I've got time to see how it shakes out plus the Verity Otello's and Nola KO's sitting in Florida are pretty good speakers in there own right.

Jack,

That’s a good-sized footprint on those Qln’s. I have indeed seen many mismatches of speakers vs rooms. It’s nice not to be in a hurry when you have the Verity’s and Nola’s  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2021, 09:12:39 AM »
Before this eventual move is done the years of gear hoarding will come back to haunt me I think.  With the current state of the shipping industry trying to sell and ship speakers especially can become a nightmare in short order. 
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
Before this eventual move is done the years of gear hoarding will come back to haunt me I think.  With the current state of the shipping industry trying to sell and ship speakers especially can become a nightmare in short order.

I think the last floorstanding speaker I shipped was well over 10 years ago…a Zalytron as I recall. Getting them boxed and ready was a pain, but the shipping went well. I used Yellow Freight
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS