Author Topic: Eastern Electric Minimax  (Read 16625 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Eastern Electric Minimax
« on: August 06, 2007, 06:59:38 PM »
After reading Nick's comments on using the Black Sands Silver MkV on the power supply to the Squeezebox I had to go downstairs and check where the heck I had the Mk V in my system. Hooked the Mk V to my Bolder Cable modded to the max powersupply. Holy Moley !!!  :drool:   Stunning, the best my digital has ever sounded.   Thank you John!

Hello Bill
Glad you are getting much improved sound. BTW, I have heard nothing but good reports regarding about the EE products
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:08:08 AM »
... BTW, I have heard nothing but good reports regarding about the EE products

Yes!   I'm using Bill's EE Minimax Phono pre.   It sounded great out of the box, but coupled with a bit of tube changes, about 100 hours of burnin, and a Black Sand Silver Ref and it is exceptional.    I've now gotta try the Black Sand on my SB3 power supply (which most likely means I'm in need of yet another BS PC ;-)

jrebman

Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »
Yes, Bill's EE products sound great, are built like tanks (stylish ones), and truly outstanding values.

I currently have a Minimax pre with mods and NOS tubes and it is absolutely wonderful.  Phono stage is next.

-- Jim

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:41:42 PM »
I currently have a Minimax pre with mods and NOS tubes and it is absolutely wonderful.  Phono stage is next.

Jim, who modded your Minimax pre?   

jrebman

Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
They are the mods that Bill offers directly to customers and are done by an engineer that Bill contracts with so you have to talk to him to arrange them.  I'm not even sure exactly what they are but involve some changes to the power supply, upgraded caps, some wiring changes and other things that allow for the use of a 12FQ7 in the buffer position, plus I had the gain on mine cut to 9 dB so it works nicely with the Signature 70 amps.

-- Jim

gooddomino

Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:43:19 PM »
JRebman - I have the EE pre and CDP. I'm considering the new pre mod but don't want to lose the sound I curently like coming form my EE pre. It's not like getting a new PC or IC. If you don't like the synergy you just sell it. With a mod you can't turn back.

I imagine though that the mod would be an improvemet. Just hesitant to mess with something I already enjoy.

How did your EE pre's sound change with the new mod?

Jack

jrebman

Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 03:42:02 PM »
Jack,

I wish I could tell you but I can't as mine came to me in the modded state.

I think you should ask Bill, and ask him if he can point you to one of his customers who has heard them all from stock to every mod level that has been done -- I talked to such a person (who also had the same amplification as I) and what he said was absolutely true.

I can only imagine things would get better.

Bill won't mislead you to get a sale, especially since somebody else does the mods.

Good luck,

Jim

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 06:46:54 PM »
IMHO the difference between the modded and stock MiniMax is this. The noise floor goes down considerably, the sound is smoother yet more dynamic yet more extended at both frequency extremes. The bass seems to go down another octave.
  Using a 12FQ7 in the middle tube position, as this tube can now be used in the modded version as it is set to run this tube optimally is wonderful. I can't make up my mind though which I like better the 12FQ7 or the pinched waist 7062/E180CC D getter. :? Both are outstanding in that position.

Jim, sidenote: only have a half dozen in stock of the phono pre's.

Jack, The mods only make the preamp better in all areas, What position on the volume control do you currently normally have the pre set at? With cutting the gain in half from 18dB to 9dB you will listen with more use of the volume control.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 06:58:43 PM »
This is a power cord thread?!  ;)

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

gooddomino

Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
Bill - I can only go to about 10:30 on the volume before things max out. It would be nice to have some more play to the volume pot.

Sounds like sonically the mod just ups the anti even more on an already terrific preamp.

Jack

Bryan - Sorry for going off topic.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 07:05:27 PM »
No prob - just giving the general community some $hit

Bryan

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 08:48:15 PM »
I also apologize, questions were asked and rather then start a new thread I answered.Thought I needed to reply.

Sorry,
 Bill

Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 03:58:44 AM »
Carry on Gents - hence the winkie...  Threads tend to do that and it's no big deal. 

Bryan

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Eastern Electric Minimax
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 05:58:15 PM »
No sorries required here... I made this topic its own thing because it's chock-full of good info about the Minimax...
I really enjoy listening to music.